uw @ Minnesota - 2/5-2/6

Of course it's just one game here and one game there, but falling flat in big games does not help a program that is struggling to keep season ticket holders and trying to steal new ones before the Wild get them. I've said it before but anything short of a title and expect Mariucci to look similar to recent years next time we're allowed back in there. I.e: empty.

Watched both games and very, very hard to do so. They still got plenty of time to turn this around but the players have got to realize they have to perform as a team and have much better focus. This was pretty tough to stomach.

The whole "pride on ice" nonsense this program spouts continues to be just that, nonsense. There was no pride anywhere to be found in either game this weekend. What a joke. Title contenders? Sure, whatever. Get back to your fan base when you prove worthy of that level of praise...

Serious question: can we ever beat Wisconsin in any sport in which we complete against them?
The Gophers have owned the series with Wisconsin for years; that's part if the reason why this weekend was so unexpected and totally unacceptable. Other sports have also had their way with the Badgers for extended periods, so yes, the Gophers can more than compete with the Wisconsin.

Serious question: can we ever beat Wisconsin in any sport in which we complete against them?
No we can never compete with them they are so superior to us. Dumbest question ever. Come on man! Pretty sure weve won a few big games here or there against them.

Reactions: MRJ

you mean like last year when we were 3-0-1? We lead the series all time 174-96-24 (pulled from Wikipedia, so I apologize if it's off by a few but I think it's updated through last year). Since the B10 started in 2013, we are 18-9-3. No matter how you slice it, we have kicked their ass in men's hockey recently. I get we lost and this was an embarrassing series, but it's just that. A series.

Take all the digitals of this game

After the coaches berate the players after watching them..

Put the strongest magnet you can find next to them...

Women's basketball, hockey and sometimes volleyball. Go Gophers !
Volleyball had been very one-sided until last year. Women's basketball usually feasts on the Badgers and women's hockey had some crazy undefeated streak against Wisconsin earlier in the 2010s (something like 16 straight). Softball has cleaned up pretty well at the Badgers' expense in recent years as well.

I'm still pissed about this pathetic weekend against the top rival. The shine is off this team. I don't think they can afford to lose more than one more game in the regular season for the conference title. Time to prove the critics like me wrong.

8-0 to finish = great
7-1 to finish = good
6-2 to finish = meh (only four challenging games)
5-3 or worse = not going anywhere post season

I'm still pissed about this pathetic weekend against the top rival. The shine is off this team. I don't think they can afford to lose more than one more game in the regular season for the conference title. Time to prove the critics like me wrong.

8-0 to finish = great
7-1 to finish = good
6-2 to finish = meh (only four challenging games)
5-3 or worse = not going anywhere post season
which post season? If you're meaning NCAA tourney, would imagine it's all going to be luck of the matchup they get. Can't see us beating any of the current top 4 right now. If you're talking B10 tourney post-season, there's no reason they can't win it because frankly the B10 isn't that good and it's a single elimination tournament

Honestly, I'm not sure they're going anywhere period, whether it's the Big 10 tourney or the NCAAs. Frankly, the way they completely mailed in a pair of games against one of their biggest rivals last weekend leads me to believe this team hasn't got what it takes and is reverting to the same old BS product Gopher hockey has consistently displayed in recent years.

Volleyball had been very one-sided until last year. Women's basketball usually feasts on the Badgers and women's hockey had some crazy undefeated streak against Wisconsin earlier in the 2010s (something like 16 straight). Softball has cleaned up pretty well at the Badgers' expense in recent years as well.

I am concerned about the women's gopher hockey team and their recent struggles against Wisconsin and Ohio State. This program should not be consistently losing to the Badgers the way they have in the past few years. The Gophers have had multiple years of getting the #1 recruiting class in the nation, and are never far from #1. Why are the Badgers dominating the Gophers? Why does Ohio State consistently split the series when they are always the less talented team? I think it is time to evaluate Brad Frost as the coach. Is he not making the most of his talent? It sure seems that way to me. This program gets the best recruits year in and year out and deserves to have the best coaching staff to develop that talent. Maybe it is time to go in a different direction - I like the former gopher players coaching at Ohio State and Hamline - Muzerall and Darwitz. I think Brad Frost is becoming Don Lucia part 2 - living off his past success.

Top Bottom