UVA Changes Logo...

Carla is a pioneer as a black female Athletic Director. A incredible person that builds unity into the University. Have never seen a AD so driven to mesh the values of the university with those of the coaches,student athletes, students and faculty and community.

Wow, did not know the swords had slavery built in. Terrible.

Just assumed it was like 3 Musketeers swashbuckling.

If you surveyed all UVA staff and alumni, I'd guess 90% + didn't know where the logo was originally copied from.
I've heard that Ole Miss is actually a reference to the wife of the slave owner. Eg "that there is the ole miss".

If you surveyed all UVA staff and alumni, I'd guess 90% + didn't know where the logo was originally copied from.
And you would be right. Nike reworked the logo and did not know either. Love change when it means something, it is why i supported dumping lake Calhoun. As a minority i am not in favor of tearing down all of the buildings that Jefferson designed because he had slaves. Then we would need to shred some fairly important documents . Will we take apart rushmore ? We can learn from our history, not destroy it.

And you would be right. Nike reworked the logo and did not know either. Love change when it means something, it is why i supported dumping lake Calhoun. As a minority i am not in favor of tearing down all of the buildings that Jefferson designed because he had slaves. Then we would need to shred some fairly important documents . Will we take apart rushmore ? We can learn from our history, not destroy it.
Good post. Also agree on the UVA logo, when you find out the original meaning it was good to ditch it.

This is one of those where hopefully most people are being rational about it from both sides.

I would hope it's pretty obvious nearly nobody knew the handles were designed based off a slave wall, so there was no ill intent when they left them on the new design.

On the other hand, I would hope nobody is getting their drawers in a bunch because they changed the logo. It was such a minor detail, I'm betting most people didn't even consciously realize it was there, let alone care before they announced why they changed it.

As. Black person I say tear it all down. We’ve spent generations living in and around monuments and memorials of those who wouldve just as soon hung me as shook my hand. Those who perpetuated acts of violence, hate and genocide on my people can have their names removed from public institutions, their statues pulled down and their legacies forever tarnished as far as Im concerned. If you disagree then youre valuing your nostalgia over other people’s humanity. In my opinion i suppose

I’m more offended that they are named after those loyal to the king in the English civil war. How you can side against parliament?

off with his head

As. Black person I say tear it all down. We’ve spent generations living in and around monuments and memorials of those who wouldve just as soon hung me as shook my hand. Those who perpetuated acts of violence, hate and genocide on my people can have their names removed from public institutions, their statues pulled down and their legacies forever tarnished as far as Im concerned. If you disagree then youre valuing your nostalgia over other people’s humanity. In my opinion i suppose
As a minority i respect your view. I look at it that much of these should be torn down. Very much against tearing down universities. Nearly every university did discriminate at some point in time . Many of my brothers went to these schools and are damn proud. I believe all confederate statues should come down. Jefferson designed UVA but he also had a great deal to do with the framework of our country. I suspect if people get radical and take down schools there will be bloodshed. I will not live in a country that destroys institutions of higher learning. Should West point be torn down, it was the training ground for many slave owners, many confederate officers.

We will never be as woke and as cultured as our grandkids. This kind of reasoning does nothing but require the destruction of our history every 20-30 years. Obama didn't initially support gay married, Bill Clinton enacted Don't Ask Don't Tell. Were these men bigots? Of course not.

It's laughably stupid to judge people from the past by our moral standards. It's juvenile.

As far as changing mascots or logos if they have some sort of history associated with slavery, sure take them down. You've accomplished nothing, but sure. For the Confederate statues, I'm totally cool with them being taken down, they were traitors (IMO).

But the rationale behind the removal of all of this stuff is scary. It will never end.

As a minority i respect your view. I look at it that much of these should be torn down. Very much against tearing down universities. Nearly every university did discriminate at some point in time . Many of my brothers went to these schools and are damn proud. I believe all confederate statues should come down. Jefferson designed UVA but he also had a great deal to do with the framework of our country. I suspect if people get radical and take down schools there will be bloodshed. I will not live in a country that destroys institutions of higher learning. Should West point be torn down, it was the training ground for many slave owners, many confederate officers.
Yea Im not for actually closing schools, just changing names when and where necessary. There are kids going to high schools named after confederate generals. Thats wild to me

Virginia gained 300 woke points for that move. Really stuck it to racists all around the country with that. I’m sure the KKK is so mad

We will never be as woke and as cultured as our grandkids. This kind of reasoning does nothing but require the destruction of our history every 20-30 years. Obama didn't initially support gay married, Bill Clinton enacted Don't Ask Don't Tell. Were these men bigots? Of course not.

It's laughably stupid to judge people from the past by our moral standards. It's juvenile.

As far as changing mascots or logos if they have some sort of history associated with slavery, sure take them down. You've accomplished nothing, but sure. For the Confederate statues, I'm totally cool with them being taken down, they were traitors (IMO).

But the rationale behind the removal of all of this stuff is scary. It will never end.
Typical fake argument: make the impossible leap from "don't judge people in the past by modern standards" to "therefore, you are never allowed to remove their glorifications bestowed in the past".

Fake, fake, fake.

Typical fake argument: make the impossible leap from "don't judge people in the past by modern standards" to "therefore, you are never allowed to remove their glorifications bestowed in the past".

Fake, fake, fake.

Some of the people we are glorifying today did a lot of ugly and criminal things in their own personal lives...today's standard of "heroism" is simply victimization. This will be regretted when the time comes that heroes are really needed.

Contoured finger grips definitely have to go to the trash heap of history. This is a good start.

Then there is the scientific one based on cognitive science research....

"There are two basic definitions of racism in the United States, one roughly associated with progressives and one roughly associated with conservatives. The former describes racism as the failure to acknowledge and seek to redress systemic discrimination against select disadvantaged minority groups. It is very broad and captures everything from unconscious bias to white supremacy. The latter views racism as making assumptions about, or taking action towards, an individual or group on the sole basis of their race. It is narrow and generally requires belief, intent, and animosity.

These definitions don’t simply differ; to a great extent they actually contradict each other. Much of the contradiction stems from the fact that the progressive definition of racism requires that an advantaged individual or group must be attacking the less privileged. The more conservative and narrow definition of racism requires no appeal to power structures, only to bias, and can be committed by anyone towards anyone."

"

Interesting thread, not the original topic really but the discussion after.

My great uncle was fired from/left a head coaching job in the B1G for recruiting black players. Ended up being a very successful coach/AD at a D3 school in Minnesota. He was the head football, basketball and baseball coach. Granted, he was fired in 1950 and the country was very different but I am proud he stood his ground. Shows that even 70 years ago some were advocating for all.

College basketball’s day of reckoning is at hand. It will be the first college sport to pay for it’s sins - from Rupp Arena to historically imbalanced rosters. Shame.

Interesting thread, not the original topic really but the discussion after.

My great uncle was fired from/left a head coaching job in the B1G for recruiting black players. Ended up being a very successful coach/AD at a D3 school in Minnesota. He was the head football, basketball and baseball coach. Granted, he was fired in 1950 and the country was very different but I am proud he stood his ground. Shows that even 70 years ago some were advocating for all.
Can you post a wtiteup of his story?
This needs to be publicized. This is real heroism.

Top Bottom