UTEP offensive lineman Aluma Nkele commits to MN.

The plan has to be play him at RT, where he started last year at UTEP, and let Carroll move inside. Nkele has two years of eligibility left; he probably didn't come here to be a back-up. He has the size and some game experience. If he can do the job at a level Purcell, DeMister and Lawrence couldn't, this could be one hell of an OL. If not, he might split with or back up Martes Lewis at RT. If Carroll starts the season at RT, I will be kind of disappointed as we will have cycled through so many possibilities to allow Carroll to move inside.

Glad to see PJ getting after it in the portal. Definitely needed some OL depth.

If Carroll plays in the league, it will be at guard. He needs to use his last season getting experience at right guard and show the pro scouts what he is capable of. I’m glad to see Fleck and company get a RT that has a good chance to let Carroll move inside.

The plan has to be play him at RT, where he started last year at UTEP, and let Carroll move inside. Nkele has two years of eligibility left; he probably didn't come here to be a back-up. He has the size and some game experience. If he can do the job at a level Purcell, DeMister and Lawrence couldn't, this could be one hell of an OL. If not, he might split with or back up Martes Lewis at RT. If Carroll starts the season at RT, I will be kind of disappointed as we will have cycled through so many possibilities to allow Carroll to move inside.
I’d be a little concerned if the plan is to plug him into a starting role when he only started 5 games at UTEP.

Was on UTEP roster as 6'6" 355. Lots of flexibility in these numbers!
indeed
athlon: "UTEP transfer offensive tackle Aluma Nkele committed to Minnesota Saturday. Listed at 6-foot-8, 390 pounds he will be a massive addition"

Interesting...I have us at 85 scholarships at the moment...this would put us over unless someone enters in the next few days. Maybe I'll double check my numbers after May 1st.

I like this pick up, personally. Gophers have lost five OL since last season.

Seems pretty clear that Fleck wants more competition at RT. I think they would love to put Carroll at RG if they can find a suitable replacement for him. Aluma should be in that mix now.

Plus, he has eligibility next year too. That’s solid.

I’d be a little concerned if the plan is to plug him into a starting role when he only started 5 games at UTEP.
Played in ten, started five. Feel better if the five starts were later in the season (growth) rather than early (regression).

Welcome aboard. He has the size of a Right Tackle, come fall we will know if he has the skills to move someone inside to guard. One player two moves making the O-line bring back better.

Top Bottom