UST to D-I in 2021-22

Ski U Mah Gopher

Member of the Tribe
Reaction score
What can we expect?

Non-conference games or matches in all sports?

Spring volleyball scrimmage and fall softball games?

Should expect whatever type of relationship that other Big Ten schools have with their in-state Big East counterparts. There are some great rivalries. Nebraska Creighton, Wisc Marquette. Not as sure about Indiana Butler? Rutgers Seton Hall?

I suspect St. Thomas will want to schedule the U in certain sports sooner rather than later.

Hockey is going to make the most sense. The Tommies have already been admitted to the WCHA on the women's side, so the Gophers will play them at least four times a year starting in 2021-22. Men's hockey will likely see each other in a relatively short space of time as well.

Possibly basketball as well, although I don't think the games would be competitive. Softball and baseball would definitely be in play.

Volleyball won't schedule them unless it's in a tournament and football won't play them for a long time imo. Reason being? Volleyball is already a top sport nationally and playing against St. Thomas does nothing for them in terms of seeding for NCAA Tournament purposes. And as for football, St. Thomas is entering the Pioneer League, which doesn't grant scholarships despite being classified as FCS, so it wouldn't be competitive.

Whether it all stays this way for the long term nobody probably knows, but the sports I would look for in terms of possibly immediate scheduling would be hockey, basketball, baseball and softball. Possibly soccer as well.

I can't see volleyball scheduling them, any more than they already schedule the Summit League teams.

There are what, basically 3-4 weekends of volleyball before the conf season starts, and all but one of them tend to already be spoken for, with various challenges/tournaments?

I can't see volleyball scheduling them, any more than they already schedule the Summit League teams.

There are what, basically 3-4 weekends of volleyball before the conf season starts, and all but one of them tend to already be spoken for, with various challenges/tournaments?

Pretty much. It would have to be at a non-conference, round-robin tournament and I just can't see it. Maybe the Diet Coke Classic at some point in the future, but as we know, Hugh likes to schedule ambitiously in the non-conference and UST isn't going to fit the bill for quite awhile in volleyball.

Pretty much. It would have to be at a non-conference, round-robin tournament and I just can't see it. Maybe the Diet Coke Classic at some point in the future, but as we know, Hugh likes to schedule ambitiously in the non-conference and UST isn't going to fit the bill for quite awhile in volleyball.
If they get to Marquette/Creighton level, then by all means.

Reactions: MRJ

Volleyball might only be spring scrimmages for for the next few years.

Top Bottom