UST got the 9th largest donation in the history of an NCAA school today!

I am wrong on this. I thought they were in the WCHA, but that is only the women's team. But, the top of the CCHA seems to be pretty good over the last few years and have made deeps runs, as deep as the Big10... Mankato was in the title game last year, Bemidji State has made deep runs lately.

Side-note: Mankato State made the final in 2022, the last Big10 team to make the NCAA Title was Minnesota in 2014, the first year of the Big10 conference.

The title game as UMD vs Notre Dame (I didn't know they counted Norte Dame in the B10 Hockey -- I see what they did there, not enough teams so had to steal an independent)....which I am all for as maybe they help get Norte Dame full time in the Big10...but Norte Dame also plays Basketball in the ACC

The title game as UMD vs Notre Dame (I didn't know they counted Norte Dame in the B10 Hockey -- I see what they did there, not enough teams so had to steal an independent)....which I am all for as maybe they help get Norte Dame full time in the Big10...but Norte Dame also plays Basketball in the ACC
Yeah it seems like the way CFB is going that Notre Dame might get forced into a conference more or less, but we'll see.

ND's hockey history is interesting because they were part of the pre-big ten CCHA, then had a short stint in Hockey East before joining the B1G.

Did I miss something? I thought they were going to put this complex near the old Ford plant. Do they own that site?

From an article in MinnPost:
Esten said UST added basketball to the plan last July after abandoning efforts to build the arena in the Highland Bridge development in Highland Park. Men’s and women’s basketball play on campus at 1,800-capacity Schoenecker Arena, one of the Summit League’s smallest venues. Both teams need more seating to generate additional revenue and attract better non-conference opponents.

“As we pivoted from Highland Bridge and looked at bringing hockey to campus, we looked real hard at whether it would work for basketball as well,” Esten said. “We just thought it made financial sense, and it was economical prudent to double down on that and make sure that those facilities are used in an efficient way.”

Scheduling can’t be easy.. Summit hoops men’s and women’s teams are never home on the same weekend. So one those teams Will be playing at home Thursday and Saturday every week… not sure how the hockey schedules align? Two different hockey conferences for their men and women??

a couple of interesting notes from an article in the Strib:

The hockey teams currently play off campus at St. Thomas Ice Arena in Mendota Heights, which has seating for only about 1,000 spectators. The basketball teams play on campus at Schoenecker Arena with capacity for about 2,000. The new arena would have capacity of 4,000 to 6,000, the university said.

The university anticipates the entire project — including demolition, as well as design and construction of the new building — will cost about $175 million. Administrators said they hope to raise at least $131 million from donations, more than half of which has already been donated by the Andersons.

4,000 to 6,000 is still fairly small for D1. by comparison, the arena at MSU-Mankato seats 4,800 for DII.

and if my math is right, they still need to raise roughly $56-Million in donations.

Scheduling can’t be easy.. Summit hoops men’s and women’s teams are never home on the same weekend. So one those teams Will be playing at home Thursday and Saturday every week… not sure how the hockey schedules align? Two different hockey conferences for their men and women??
On the women’s side the WCHA never disbanded?

Seems suspect that the Big Ten didn’t have to also sponsor women’s hockey??

On the women’s side the WCHA never disbanded?

Seems suspect that the Big Ten didn’t have to also sponsor women’s hockey??
The requirement is that there are at least 6 teams within the Big Ten that have a team. On the Mens side there are enough. This was triggered when Penn St had a large donor pony up to fund the Mens team. On the women’s side, the only teams at Big Ten schools are Minn, Wisconsin, and Ohio St. This is why they are part of the WCHA. If three more schools pony up then the Womens Big Ten will become a reality.

The requirement is that there are at least 6 teams within the Big Ten that have a team. On the Mens side there are enough. This was triggered when Penn St had a large donor pony up to fund the Mens team. On the women’s side, the only teams at Big Ten schools are Minn, Wisconsin, and Ohio St. This is why they are part of the WCHA. If three more schools pony up then the Womens Big Ten will become a reality.
How do Mich, Mich St, and Penn St get away with not having a women's team??

Title IX?

If you don't know, that's fine. Just an open question. Thanks for your info!

Regardless, UST has (and as far as I know, plans to keep) a women's team.

This new arena will be very busy during the winter!

They do still have the current arena that only seats 1k (or so?) for bball. I guess it will be used mainly for volleyball and possibly some (women's) bball games.

I think the new arena also is going to have a 2nd sheet of ice that will be used for practice and can be used by the community (high school and club team games?). So possibly some (women's) UST games could be played in there if there were major conflicts.

How do Mich, Mich St, and Penn St get away with not having a women's team??

Title IX?

If you don't know, that's fine. Just an open question. Thanks for your info!
Penn St does have Women's ice hockey. They play in the CHA.

The way I understand it, there are no Title IX issues (for Mich & Mich St) as long as the school offers equal athletic opportunities through out all sports sponsored. So having sports like volleyball, field hockey, rowing & gymnastics for women, offsets football, wrestling or ice hockey.

Penn St does have Women's ice hockey. They play in the CHA.

The way I understand it, there are no Title IX issues (for Mich & Mich St) as long as the school offers equal athletic opportunities through out all sports sponsored. So having sports like volleyball, field hockey, rowing & gymnastics for women, offsets football, wrestling or ice hockey.
Interesting.

Michigan and Ohio State are the only Big Ten team's that have varsity teams for every single conference sport (over both men's and women's). Penn State is one off, missing women's rowing.

But Ohio St and Penn St each also have varsity teams in a plethora of additional sports, while Michigan only has one such additional team (women's water polo).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Ten_Conference#Men's_sponsored_sports_by_school

Regardless, UST has (and as far as I know, plans to keep) a women's team.

This new arena will be very busy during the winter!

They do still have the current arena that only seats 1k (or so?) for bball. I guess it will be used mainly for volleyball and possibly some (women's) bball games.

I think the new arena also is going to have a 2nd sheet of ice that will be used for practice and can be used by the community (high school and club team games?). So possibly some (women's) UST games could be played in there if there were major conflicts.
They've had 2000 in the new Shoe for Tommie-Johnnie, but haven't had that packed of a crowd in the D1 era.

Depending on the arena design, it should be able to host a hockey game at noon and converted to a basketball game at 7:30 pm or vice versa.

As mentioned in later posts, it's not unusual for different hockey conferences such as Big 10 for the Gopher men and WCHA for the women.

Can we just add a St. Thomas forum to this website so we don't need a new thread about them every 3 days on the Gopher basketball board?
I don't mind some threads about St. Thomas.

What's annoying is their fans posing as Gophers fans while slinging mud constantly.

Top Bottom