USC wants to practice at Cretin or Eden Prairie HS prior to Gopher game

How many of those coaches from powerhouse high schools would do such a disservice to the local team?

In this case its not really a question of supporting the local team in my opinion. It comes down to a high school coach getting the chance to promote his players and his program. Lets remember that not every kid from great schools goes to the hometown team, often times good players get passed up by the hometown team but is every bit as deserving as other players who are picked up. It benefits the high school athlete for their coaches to have those in-roads with collegiate coaches.

High school coaches have egos too and often times it is something to hang your hat on that you have coached and sent off DI athletes to schools across the country. It helps out the high school program and gets kids excited about football to be able to see ANY collegiate team practice on their facilities.

In this case its not really a question of supporting the local team in my opinion. It comes down to a high school coach getting the chance to promote his players and his program. Lets remember that not every kid from great schools goes to the hometown team, often times good players get passed up by the hometown team but is every bit as deserving as other players who are picked up. It benefits the high school athlete for their coaches to have those in-roads with collegiate coaches.

High school coaches have egos too and often times it is something to hang your hat on that you have coached and sent off DI athletes to schools across the country. It helps out the high school program and gets kids excited about football to be able to see ANY collegiate team practice on their facilities.

I respectfully disagree. Since 2002 a total of 2 CDH players have had offers from USC (Henderson and Ryan Harris). Not sure how heavily Floyd was being recruited by USC, but he didn't get offered according to the services. Minnesota has offered 15.

Since 2002 one EP player has been offered a scholarship from USC (Ashley) and 7 from Minnesota.

These two schools have had seven times the scholarship offers from Minnesota than from USC. Letting USC practice at either school, an obvious recruiting ploy, is spitting in the face of the team that gives the majority of the division I talent from those schools athletic scholarship offers. The high division I athletes at these schools (the types that get USC offers) do not need to be hyped by their coaches, they get the offers. However the great number of division I talent in these schools are getting Minnesota offers.

USC should practice at TCF, just like Cal did. If the Athletic directors at these schools give in to USC it is an affront to the only division I football program in the state, and might cause the coaching staff at Minnesota to lay off offering the borderline talent coming out of that school in future.

Got to believe this truly IS a recruiting ploy. Otherwise, why wouldn't Kiffin practice at Bloomington Jefferson, his alma mater?

UH, BINGO.

If we can get significant rent from USC and charge those that want to attend then I would be in favor. Otherwise, I would tell them to pound sand.

I hate the thought of USC at EP, but I love the thought of Mike Grant (or the principle or AD) telling USC to pound sand. LOVE IT.

UH, BINGO.

I hate the thought of USC at EP, but I love the thought of Mike Grant (or the principle or AD) telling USC to pound sand. LOVE IT.

that's the problem though, half the talent in FB is at CD, and they love to hate the gophers( I think Mason tried to bang the AD's Wife so bad blood has been there since the late 90's), and EP likes the gophers, so guransheed they practice at CD this fall.

While I'm sure USC would love to have as much practice at TCF as they can, they certainly can't hold all their practices there if they will be in town for a few days. Do CDH and EP have artificial surfaces similar to the TCF field? If not then it doesn't make sense. You also wonder why he would even bother, as recruting from CDH and EP is a tiny droplet in the very large and overflowing bucket of USC recruiting.

could be wrong

It would be a violation of NCAA rules. A few years ago, I asked Mitch Browning about having a passing demo or something at our high school. He indicated at the time, the NCAA prohibits doing that. Makes sense.

If practicing at TCF isn't good enough for them, they should practice at the dome.

End of story.

Wait...did anyone say "screw Kiffin" yet? I hope Brew can use this tactic to his (our) advantage on the road, but screw anyone who wants to do that in my backyard. Not trying to be sarcastic and make some greater point, I really mean that I want Brew to take advantage of any NCAA sanctioned rules to better the program, but I want it both ways. And mostly...Screw Kiffin.

.. Do CDH and EP have artificial surfaces similar to the TCF field? If not then it doesn't make sense...

EP has a bubble with turf. I would be VERY surprised if Mr. Grant lets them use it, however.

I respectfully disagree. Since 2002 a total of 2 CDH players have had offers from USC (Henderson and Ryan Harris). Not sure how heavily Floyd was being recruited by USC, but he didn't get offered according to the services. Minnesota has offered 15.

Since 2002 one EP player has been offered a scholarship from USC (Ashley) and 7 from Minnesota.

These two schools have had seven times the scholarship offers from Minnesota than from USC. Letting USC practice at either school, an obvious recruiting ploy, is spitting in the face of the team that gives the majority of the division I talent from those schools athletic scholarship offers. The high division I athletes at these schools (the types that get USC offers) do not need to be hyped by their coaches, they get the offers. However the great number of division I talent in these schools are getting Minnesota offers.

USC should practice at TCF, just like Cal did. If the Athletic directors at these schools give in to USC it is an affront to the only division I football program in the state, and might cause the coaching staff at Minnesota to lay off offering the borderline talent coming out of that school in future.

I disagree with your viewpoint, EP and CDH do not owe the university anything, they owe it to their players to get them exposure to as many opportunities as possible for their future. If I was a parent of a athlete there, that is what I would expect whether it was USC, Michigan, St. Thomas etc..

They won't practice at CDH, to my knowledge CDH does not have a turf practice field with the capabilities that USC would need to have a good practice. CDH plays its home games at the University of St. Thomas, which will be undergoing construction through the fall. Practicing at St. Thomas also would conflict with how much St. Thomas uses their field for various activities (including football).

If USC is flying in on a thursday or wednesday, there is no way he will want to be on campus for multiple days. Talk about distractions.

Eden Prairie makes sense for both sides. People don't understand that if someone offered a high school more than the going rate for field time, they would take it regardless of who the group is. Schools budgets are pinched, especially next year. Eden Prairie has multiple turf fields. If USC wanted to practice, they could easily arrange it for the Thursday before the game and then do a walk through at TCF on the Friday before the game.

Kiffin cannot practice at his alma mater of Bloomington Jefferson because Jefferson/Kennedy may have the worst facilities for football amongst Lake Conference and Former Lake Conference teams.

Other 5A schools with facilities that would be good enough for a USC practice that are in the metro would be Minnetonka, Hopkins, Wayzata, Edina, Lakeville North (their Locker Rooms may not be good enough), Farmington, Woodbury. If you were choosing 1 high school to practice at, which one would you chose? I would choose EP seeing as how it is 15 minutes from the airport.

guarantee CD lets them, they hate the gophs.

They sure don't anymore. I can gurantee you that. Matt Carufel and Royston (paid his own way) transfered back to MN under Brew. Zach Mottla, Shady Soloman, John Nance, and Willie Schneider are all (or were all) members of the U of MN football team. The relationship between CDH and the U is actually very good right now. If you don't remember, the CDH coach thought Henderson should have gone to the U and talked them up during the entire process.

That said, CDH or Eden Praire should let USC practice there in a heartbeat. As a football coach, you'd probably get to watch some of the best football players in the country and build a relationship with one of the best programs in the nation. Yeah, Kiffin is doing it to make stronger connections at these schools. However, it is in these schools interest to be well on the USC radar as well. I don't know how you could fault a HS coach or football program for wanting USC to practice at their field.

They sure don't anymore. I can gurantee you that. Matt Carufel and Royston (paid his own way) transfered back to MN under Brew. Zach Mottla, Shady Soloman, John Nance, and Willie Schneider are all (or were all) members of the U of MN football team. The relationship between CDH and the U is actually very good right now. If you don't remember, the CDH coach thought Henderson should have gone to the U and talked them up during the entire process.

That said, CDH or Eden Praire should let USC practice there in a heartbeat. As a football coach, you'd probably get to watch some of the best football players in the country and build a relationship with one of the best programs in the nation. Yeah, Kiffin is doing it to make stronger connections at these schools. However, it is in these schools interest to be well on the USC radar as well. I don't know how you could fault a HS coach or football program for wanting USC to practice at their field.

2 things. I respect that you did your homework to prove someone wrong, instead of just freaking out like so many on here do. BUT CD always wants their kids to go to Notre Dame first, and that is a fact.

It's honestly not that I did my homework, I just still follow the CDH football team quite a bit. I went to CDH, have good friends who still coach there, and probably have never met a better guy than Mike Scanlan.

From what i've heard, there was certainly a rift between the Mason regime CDH. Cretin didn't feel like it (or the entire) state was given respect by that staff. Supposedly, the CDH coaches would be in communications with those coaches and say something like "you know, we have this kid, he isn't recruited heavily, but we think he could eventually be a player. Are you interested in taking a look?" Supposedly, the Mason regime was rarely if ever interested.

Under Brewster, a lot of those kinds of kids have gotten a shot at the U. Willie Schneider and Zack Mottla (I believe they are both on scholly now) are guys who Brewster gave a shot to, and will eventually help the U. Mottla will probably be a starter in a year or so. Brewster didn't give these kids a shot because of Scanlan, he gave them a look (the respect a lot of MN coaches wanted) because of the advice of the CDH coaching staff.

At schools like Cretin and i'd assume Eden Praire, the coaches aren't the most protective of how the stars get recruited (Hendersons, Floyds, and Mobley's of the world) they are more concerned with trying to do the best for their entire program of kids. Under Brewster, (from what i've heard) those relationships are completely mended. (I think the last kid out of Cretin to go Big 10 and not the U was Joe Schafer).

As far as the Notre Dame argument, well, that very well might be. However, that isn't really a football thing. It is a situation where a lot of kids who go to Catholic High School continue with a Catholic education. St. Thomas is full of Cretin kids (athletes and non-athletes) and St. Johns is full of Cretin kids (again, athletes and non-athletes). Notre Dame has a distinct advantage because they are the premier Catholic school in the nation (certainly the midwest). You have kids who graduated from a private prestigious catholic HS known for football and they are naturally drawn to the college equivelent. So, I do agree that Notre Dame has an edge, however, I don't think that edge comes out of the football program, I think it is just a natural progression for a lot of kids who went (and thrived) at a private Catholic school.

Ummm....If USC practices at EP (or any other local HS) I highly doubt they will pay a dime for renting the field for a few hours. Free publicity.

USC would pay any HS, because they would basically be required to by law if it is a public school. But it is pocket change anyways (relatively). But the free publicity is just another reason why no local HS would say no if USC asked.

2 things. I respect that you did your homework to prove someone wrong, instead of just freaking out like so many on here do. BUT CD always wants their kids to go to Notre Dame first, and that is a fact.

OMG. If it's a fact then include a citation to support your "fact". It's easy. Just back up the wild generalizations you make and they can be considered fact. Otherwise you're asking us to take your word for it, which is not likely to happen within the next few decades.

Won't matter if the Gophers shock the world and beat the golden boys. AKA... it will most likely matter.

Top Bottom