USC Sanctions Effect Depth

Stargenes

Reaction score
While it appears all is generally good in the USC kingdom, still stacking four and five star '11 recruit committs, alum return more frequently to provide reassurance of where USC can get players and organized appeals of the sanctions rendered by te ncaa have been formally filed, a look underneath it all some of the stitches that made USC great are starting to pop loose. It was the high level recruits that did not make it big but provided high quality depth over the years that had made USC so powerful. However, the sanctions and excit opportunities presented herewith, are making some of those previously back-up and special teams players bolt for the opportunity to be a star again.

http://louisville.scout.com/2/980200.html

Now, instead of a former high school all american as depth, USC will have to periodically use walk-ons like the rest of us. It frankly does not change the high end players typically starting for them, but sures hell causes a noticeable drop off when injuries occur.

Let me, if I may, fill in a few gaps in the Louisville story.

For the record, Jordan Campbell was suspended from the team at one point at the end of last year for "undisclosed reasons" aka (bad attitude, problems in school, etc.) As of spring practice this year he was officially no longer on the team. He had been suspended. He was, let us say, perspna non grata.

His one game glowing stats came against Wash St., one of the worst programs in all of Div I football.

The only reason he started that game is because of the lack of linebacker dept SC had last year. All three of SC's starting linebackers were drafted into the NFL the year before. SC's recruiting focused on replenishing that position for last year.

Here is what happened, SC focused on three linebackers, one (Manti Teo) switched to Notre Dame at the last min. signing day, the other (Burfectt) , because of failing to meet the academic requirements needed for admission to SC, switched also at the last min. to Arizona State. Both started at these schools last year and had great seasons. The third recruit showed up at SC with a heart defect, unable to pass his medical. Thus SC's top three freshman linebacker recruits turned out to be 0-3. A forth was injured and had to redshirt.

There you have the "depth" issue: Three starting linebackers graduate, three top recruits don't make it to the team for various reasons, and there were only three SC backers with any experience left to play.

To give an example, SC's middle linebacker, Chris Gallipo, played every min. of every defensive down last year, because their was NO depth at that position. There was no replacement for him. He simply wore down at the end of the year, you can see it on film, and one of the reason's SC's defense fell apart at the end of the year and was simply awful. To shore up things a true freshman defensive end was converted to middle linebacker for the last 4 games, no experience at that position and straight out of high school. His name, Devon Kennard, he may be real good this year however.

Getting back to Jordon Campbell, his ONLY start was when one of those outside linebackers, Michael Morgan, was injured. Yes, he was a highly regarded recruit out of high school, but a bust in the SC program. Glad he is gone, sure can use that scholarship now:).

Now if we can just get Seantrel to change is mind once again and take his attitude somewhere else, we will all be happy here in LaLa land.

Hope you folks in Louisville enjoy Campbell. We are glad to see him go.

Fight On!

Let me, if I may, fill in a few gaps in the Louisville story.

For the record, Jordan Campbell was suspended from the team at one point at the end of last year for "undisclosed reasons" aka (bad attitude, problems in school, etc.) As of spring practice this year he was officially no longer on the team. He had been suspended. He was, let us say, perspna non grata.

His one game glowing stats came against Wash St., one of the worst programs in all of Div I football.

The only reason he started that game is because of the lack of linebacker dept SC had last year. All three of SC's starting linebackers were drafted into the NFL the year before. SC's recruiting focused on replenishing that position for last year.

Here is what happened, SC focused on three linebackers, one (Manti Teo) switched to Notre Dame at the last min. signing day, the other (Burfectt) , because of failing to meet the academic requirements needed for admission to SC, switched also at the last min. to Arizona State. Both started at these schools last year and had great seasons. The third recruit showed up at SC with a heart defect, unable to pass his medical. Thus SC's top three freshman linebacker recruits turned out to be 0-3. A forth was injured and had to redshirt.

There you have the "depth" issue: Three starting linebackers graduate, three top recruits don't make it to the team for various reasons, and there were only three SC backers with any experience left to play.

To give an example, SC's middle linebacker, Chris Gallipo, played every min. of every defensive down last year, because their was NO depth at that position. There was no replacement for him. He simply wore down at the end of the year, you can see it on film, and one of the reason's SC's defense fell apart at the end of the year and was simply awful. To shore up things a true freshman defensive end was converted to middle linebacker for the last 4 games, no experience at that position and straight out of high school. His name, Devon Kennard, he may be real good this year however.

Getting back to Jordon Campbell, his ONLY start was when one of those outside linebackers, Michael Morgan, was injured. Yes, he was a highly regarded recruit out of high school, but a bust in the SC program. Glad he is gone, sure can use that scholarship now:).

Now if we can just get Seantrel to change is mind once again and take his attitude somewhere else, we will all be happy here in LaLa land.

Hope you folks in Louisville enjoy Campbell. We are glad to see him go.

Fight On!

I was certain some SC fan would come on to throw the guy under the bus. You were a little slower than I anticipated thiough. So you don't want Seantrelle now huh? Tnen why are coaches fllying out to Minny so often? Frankly, if he bolts, you are in real trouble at the Tackle spot. Good luck with the appeal.

So, if players graduate, and recruits don't make the team it's not really a "depth" issue?

I was certain some SC fan would come on to throw the guy under the bus. You were a little slower than I anticipated thiough. So you don't want Seantrelle now huh? Tnen why are coaches fllying out to Minny so often? Frankly, if he bolts, you are in real trouble at the Tackle spot. Good luck with the appeal.

Since when was reporting the status of the player on the team "throwing him under the bus"? The bus had long left him behind. This very crucial peace of information was left out of the news article, and the article gave a false impression that the Cardinals was getting one of SC's top backers because of the sanctions. That kid was leaving on the next train out of LA regardless.

I speak for myself, not the coaches. If you want to know why the coaches flew to see Seantrelle, ask them.

From what members of this board have said about Seantrelle and what I have heard elsewhere, the kid has an attitude problem. I don't want a kid at SC who doesn't want to be at SC. You shouldn't want a player who didn't want to be a Gopher. When a kid is constantly looking over his shoulder, his commitment is only to himself.

Even if he comes we will be in trouble at left tackle. We have dept issues at every OL positon. One guy, Minnesota's finest, won't solve the big picture.:cry:

Fight On!

While it appears all is generally good in the USC kingdom, still stacking four and five star '11 recruit committs, alum return more frequently to provide reassurance of where USC can get players and organized appeals of the sanctions rendered by te ncaa have been formally filed, a look underneath it all some of the stitches that made USC great are starting to pop loose. It was the high level recruits that did not make it big but provided high quality depth over the years that had made USC so powerful. However, the sanctions and excit opportunities presented herewith, are making some of those previously back-up and special teams players bolt for the opportunity to be a star again.

http://louisville.scout.com/2/980200.html

Now, instead of a former high school all american as depth, USC will have to periodically use walk-ons like the rest of us. It frankly does not change the high end players typically starting for them, but sures hell causes a noticeable drop off when injuries occur.

Obviously, I used to many words to cover a broad subject. My main point is that we were thin at linebacker last year anyway, even with so called All American back ups. This guy was no "star" and his leaving and the circumstances (his attitude not NCAA sanctions) will have no effect on the linebacking corp next year. We are better off without him. Like Nebraska in years past, SC has had some pretty darn good luck with walk on linebackers. Clay Matthews was a walk on and he was drafted No. 1 I believe last year by the Packers.

Having said all that, I believe your basic premise is correct. This will thin the debt fabric of the team more than a series of bad luck and recruiting failures did last year. However, I am saying this guy is not evidence of your astute and I believe accurate assessment.

Fight On!

In some ways the words are interchangeable. It's costly when you pay players in addition to giving them a scholarship:D Sorry, that was unfair. I do appreciate the additional information you provided.

:clap:You are right in the sense that, at least in this case, these words could be interchangable.;)

Top Bottom