USC may be on the schedule

I believe that the UNLV game was moved back til 2012 also, no game at Air Force.

Correct. Here is an article from the Las Vegas Sun detailing UNLV's future schedule:

http://www.lasvegassun.com/blogs/sp...lters-future-non-conference-football-schedul/

Also, an article from the Colorado Springs Gazette explaining the Air Force situation:

http://www.gazette.com/sports/football_38630___article.html/open_force.html

Another correction to the schedule posted on Gophersports.com is the addition of two home games against San Jose State in 2013 and 2014. From SJSU's official site:

http://www.sjsuspartans.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5600&ATCLID=1446998

As for the prospect of playing USC, I couldn't be more happy. Ordinarily, I get fired up thinking about a good non-conference road trip, but the idea of USC coming into our house has me salivating. That's as big-time as it gets.

My bad I forgot about the song girls, I have offically changed my mind. Bring to Ross-Ade while they are in Big Ten Country.

I would trade Purdue's entire freshmen class of girls for those 14 in about a second if I had the choice.

Of course you would mnboiler. Six out of every 10 students at Purdue are dudes, an amazing stat considering how many, many schools are trying to add men.

Why USC? Recruiting! It's hard enough to conveince a kid from Texas or Florida to come up to MN to play football. Then you have to tell him that he'll be playing against Montana, South Dakota, North Dakota, and St. Mary's School for the Blind? On the big ten network no less (the secondary channels, not HD)?

If you want to build a quality program, you have to start behving like one. I'd prefer the mid-tier BCS schools too, but you take what you can get.

And remember, Ohio State got crushed against them this year and went on to win a share of the Big Ten title. I think playing one of the best would be great for BT preparations, since no one would likely be harder than them.

The one problem is the "what's in it for me" mentality that USC would likely have, as beating Minnesota would not have the same effect on the pollsters as beating tOSU for instance.

And remember, Ohio State got crushed against them this year and went on to win a share of the Big Ten title. I think playing one of the best would be great for BT preparations, since no one would likely be harder than them.

The one problem is the "what's in it for me" mentality that USC would likely have, as beating Minnesota would not have the same effect on the pollsters as beating tOSU for instance.

I assume the same reason they played Virginia I guess.

I assume the same reason they played Virginia I guess.

Well remembering they probably scheduled them in like 2004, when Virginia had gone 25-14 from 2002-2004, they would have been deemed a good opponent at the time. But I see your point.:D

Their horrible band

they will bring their band (which they have brought to every away game for quite a while now). Awesome. I can't wait.
They only know three songs, Fight on, Tribute to Troy,which they play ad naseum, and Tusk.

They can stay out in the parking lot as far as I'm concerned.

Too bad Chad Hartman's gone

I'll miss his rant about the Gophers trying to schedule Southern Cal--"another directional school."

I don't think it will be 2010 - 2016.

It will be home and home probably one year after another.

Bring em' on....how do we ever get to an elite program if we're only seen on the BT network?????? Those against are being silly stupid.

Of course you would mnboiler. Six out of every 10 students at Purdue are dudes, an amazing stat considering how many, many schools are trying to add men.

Hey, its getting better 58-42 guys know closer than when I got here. IMO the reason is simple why Purdue has so many more guys than girls. Engineering and science here is so big and that is pretty much 95% guys(I don't know for sure not being an engineer, but its pretty high) and liberal arts and education have always played second fiddle here and they tend to have more chicks in those majors. Also I'm pretty sure every school in the country would trade for the song girls, maybe except Arizona State.

Also there is a little known fact in the college football world that is there is a long running tradition to see if the USC Spirt of Troy can play "Fight On" more or Tennessee Pride of the Southland Band can play "Rocky Top". Of course I'm kidding but I really don't have to hear Rocky Top for the 500th time today. Any way the Spirt of Troy is a pretty kick-ass band, not say Minnesota's Marching Band isn't.

Brewster said he wants to schedule the big boys. Doesn't get much bigger than USC.
Here is the posted NC schedule to date.
09-Air Force, @Syracuse, Cal
10-@UNLV, Wash. ST
11-@WSU, Miami (o)
12-@Air Force, Colorado
13-UNLV, @ Cal
14-@Miami(o), Oregon State
15-@Oregon State

that game at Air Force is no more, i read somewhere that Air Force back out of there home game with us and want to get out of it game with Wisconsin also.

I'd like to see USC become a semi-regular opponent on our schedule. Create a trophy of Walker Lee Ashley the schools can play for, and whichever team wins can sit on the sideline indecisively after the game and debate whether to take the trophy with them or not.

I got to see them play UVA here in Charlottesville this year. It was a blood bath. But since it was the opener there was a buzz about the opener a month in advance. It's a good trade off.

Well if Brewster signed off on this he deserves credit. 2010 will be the critical year for him and it would be much easier to get a sure win against a FCS school.

I believe the UNLV game was moved to 2012, so right now, we'd have @ USC and vs. Washington St. lined up for 2010.

I've discovered another inaccuracy in Gophersports.com's future schedules. Originally, Washington State was scheduled to play at TCF Bank Stadium on 9/18/2010, but according to this release from SMU's official site, the Cougars are going to Dallas on that date:

http://smumustangs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/010509aab.html

This makes sense if we're playing USC in 2010, because 9/18/2010 was the only open date for the Trojans (they're at Hawaii on 9/4 and hosting Virginia on 9/11). So it looks like our future non-conference schedules would now look like this:

9/5 @ Syracuse
9/12 AIR FORCE
9/19 CALIFORNIA
11/14 SOUTH DAKOTA STATE

9/4 WASHINGTON STATE/--- (guessing the Cougs would prefer not to go on the road in consecutive weeks)
9/11 ---/WASHINGTON STATE
9/18 @ USC
11/13 ---

9/3 @ Washington State
9/10 ---
9/17 MIAMI (OHIO)
9/24 ---

9/1 @ UNLV
9/8 COLORADO
9/15 ---
9/22 SYRACUSE

8/31 UNLV
9/7 @ Colorado
9/14 SAN JOSE STATE
9/21 ---

9/6 @ Miami (Ohio)
9/13 OREGON STATE
9/20 SAN JOSE STATE
9/27 ---

9/5 ---
9/12 @ Oregon State
9/19 ---
9/26 ---

2016?
? USC

Suicide for sure. Missouri, maybe even Nebraska. But USC? Are you kidding?

It's amazing. For years now, people have called for a tougher schedule. Now, the attempt has been made at creating a championship-level schedule, and the complaints come out from the other half of the room.

I'm all for it. One game a year vs. a cup cake, and the rest against teams from major conferences. With the additions of the Cal's, Colorado's, Washington and Oregon State's, and now the possibility of this, I applaud Joel Maturi and Tim Brewster. I'd rather win six games a year vs. top talent than eight or nine a year with a schedule full of asterisks and directional schools.

But I understand that you'll never win with everybody on this issue.

I agree completely with the thought that this can't really be bad for us. We get to see us play a top-notch team one time at TCF Bank Stadium, and get all the attention they bring along. We will be able to measure ourselves against the best, in 2010 and then again another time. I also agree that even if we lose big, it is not a huge embarrassment to lose to one of the consistently best teams in the country with enough talent to fill a starting NFL roster. Look at OSU - they lost huge to USC and were still able to make a BCS bowl game despite another loss to Penn State. I am not saying we are on their level (and their selection was half due to their fan base, which we don't have), but it is still possible to be perceived as a good team and have a good season even if we were to lose big. And, as someone else posted, in the off-chance that we somehow win, who knows what it would do for our program (short and long term).

We wanted a tougher schedule to shut up the media pundits and to get a good look at how good we are? This is the best way. I'd also rather win 6 games a year playing the likes of Cal, USC, Oregon St, UNLV, and Colorado (which it seems like we will have 1-2 of these a year for a while) than get 8 wins but the perception is that we really only beat 6.

Games like this will also make Gopher football even more of a hot ticket and can really increase the draw for students (creating a longer-term fanbase). We talk a lot about how the 3 home games against like likes of Montana St, NIU, etc doesn't do much for students - well how about getting out of bed early to go watch a game against preseason #1 USC??? The buzz in this town will be incredible.

I am all for playing SC anytime anywhere, but if coach Brewster was smart he would schedule UCLA instead. Then he could complete his promise of returning to Pasedena and the Rose Bowl... The real killer shot. Might be the fastest way back...

"Hail Mary, full of grace, stop scoring touchdowns against us.... :)

Take it for what it's worth, but a guy who has good university sources on Gopherpucklive says that his sources are telling him USC will be @ TCF in 2010 and we will go to USC in 2011.

Like I said, take it for what its worth, but he is connected and has been right on everything else he's posted on the site.

Take it for what it's worth, but a guy who has good university sources on Gopherpucklive says that his sources are telling him USC will be @ TCF in 2010 and we will go to USC in 2011.

Like I said, take it for what its worth, but he is connected and has been right on everything else he's posted on the site.

Looks like the guy was correct. Bring it on!!! Go Gophers!

we have cancel the home and home with Washington State.

we have cancel the home and home with Washington State.

That's too bad for me. I was looking forward to attending the game in Pullman. USC is a little far for a weekend road trip, almost 1200 miles one way.

Top Bottom