USC Fan wants to know about Seantrel Henderson

Reaction score
I am new here, and would like some input on what we (SC) can expect from Seantrel. Is he as good as they say, or will he be another overhyped 5-Star underperforming at SC. The circus around his signing, (his parents wanted to delay to hear from the NCAA on possible SC violations but signed anyway without hearing anything) was a red flag for me. We just got rid of one prima donna, Everson Griffen, who was one of the most immature players I have ever seen up close and personal. Tremendous talent, but lots of ego also. He did not work hard and played hard only when he felt like it. Is Seantrel like that? We are really thin on the offensive line. We only had seven O-Linemen during spring practice. It would be nice if this kid could get some game reps.

Help me out here.

Look forward to seeing you Sept 18th.

Fight On!

Let me preface this by saying I am not a scouting expert, heck, even an amateur. Henderson will be a great player - and will play in the NFL. I do not know if he will start year 1 with you guys or not. He would start here. We've dealt with overhyped four star players here, but never the five star variant. To many here, the circus involving his signing seemed to center around Seantrel's father. I believe that at this point in his career, given his national prominence, Seantrel is relatively even-keeled and humble. You were able to sign a great recruit - much to our chagrin.

From everything I have heard here, Seantrel is a hard worker. I really cannot knock him in any way, except that I wish he had stayed home.

Henderson-

Upside: He is massive. He is as strong of a kid you will see as a freshman. He had the size and strength to be an NFL guy as a Junior in high school. Makes great initial contact on run blocks. If he gets his hands on you on pass blocks you stand almost no chance.

Downside: He doesn't always finish his run blocks (often due to the fact that he did not need to, but you would still like to see it). Footwork needs some work, may not be ready to block fast rush-ends at the D1 level due to his footwork. He is not exactly the smartest guy in the world.
O yea, and his father is possible the biggest tool on the face of the earth.

Depending on how hard he works he could be an all time great. He is not a lock to be a star, he will need to work hard to keep his grades in line. His families influence could have a negative effect. Could be the next Orlando Pace, could be the next Walker Ashley. (I doubt he is the latter, but there is a chance).
I would have loved for him to be a gopher. USC got a great prospect.

A better Walker lee Ashley. More upside but will never be heard of again. His dad is a tool and Seantrel is not smart enough to play college ball so unless he is a one and done he is just done.

I am new here, and would like some input on what we (SC) can expect from Seantrel. Is he as good as they say, or will he be another overhyped 5-Star underperforming at SC...

Seantrel = good kid...a big teddy bear/gentle giant of a guy....he will do what is required in the classroom to stay eligible...he will NOT embarass the Trojan program off the field...

The possible downside is that potential hangars-on might target him as some sort of a future meal ticket...Seantrel can have a tough time saying 'no'...

Skill set = freakish size + freakish strength + freakish athletic ability + unbelievable feet + nimble + coachable + tough + durable + born to be a LT...

Question marks...for any kid, the transition from high school to high-end D1 football, especially the mental aspects during the freshman season, is always an unknown...OL (and QB) being the toughest positions on the field to master...also, how nasty does he want to be?

ConferenceChamp's projection (assuming he stays healthy for the duration):

~2010...will win the starting LT position, although it may not be early in the season
~2011...All PAC-10 player
~2012...All-American

Seantrel will be a '3-and-done' player. He will enter the 2013 draft, and will be taken among the top 3 picks in the 1st round of that draft. Ultimately, he will be enshrined in Canton.:D

Enjoy watching the big fella...

Seantrel = good kid...a big teddy bear/gentle giant of a guy....he will do what is required in the classroom to stay eligible...he will NOT embarass the Trojan program off the field...

The possible downside is that potential hangars-on might target him as some sort of a future meal ticket...Seantrel can have a tough time saying 'no'...

Skill set = freakish size + freakish strength + freakish athletic ability + unbelievable feet + nimble + coachable + tough + durable + born to be a LT...

Question marks...for any kid, the transition from high school to high-end D1 football, especially the mental aspects during the freshman season, is always an unknown...OL (and QB) being the toughest positions on the field to master...also, how nasty does he want to be?

ConferenceChamp's projection (assuming he stays healthy for the duration):

~2010...will win the starting LT position, although it may not be early in the season
~2011...All PAC-10 player
~2012...All-American

Seantrel will be a '3-and-done' player. He will enter the 2013 draft, and will be taken among the top 3 picks in the 1st round of that draft. Ultimately, he will be enshrined in Canton.:D

Enjoy watching the big fella...

Thanks for posting Coach Scanlon

My assumption is he's a blue-chip from day one. Perfect size for LT. A little work and he's right where NFL teams want him, resulting in a Top 5 pick after 3 years at USC. If heavy sanctions come down, he's out the door the minute the rules allow it.

Wow! Great feedback guys. Your opinion matters a lot because you are up close. Pretty much what I have heard so this substantiates it. Three and out or gone ASAP if heavy sanctions come down sounds right.

Sounds like a good kid with a bad dad. Yes, adjustment to D1 is tough on kids, and LA is a tougher place than others. I hope you are right and he keeps clean off the field. There are so many temptations in LA.

The kid, Everson Griffen, I talked about in an earlier post had bad parents also. It was pure theater on the sidelines during practice. However, I don't think Everson himself was playing with a full deck. At practice he reminded me of a Pop Warner kid, turning to his parents and raising his arms when he made a good play. Totally immature.

Thanks for the input. Sorry you lost your hometown boy, but we will try to take care of him and treat him well.

Good luck this season, except Sept 18th.

Fight On!

I am new here, and would like some input on what we (SC) can expect from Seantrel. Is he as good as they say, or will he be another overhyped 5-Star underperforming at SC. The circus around his signing, (his parents wanted to delay to hear from the NCAA on possible SC violations but signed anyway without hearing anything) was a red flag for me. We just got rid of one prima donna, Everson Griffen, who was one of the most immature players I have ever seen up close and personal. Tremendous talent, but lots of ego also. He did not work hard and played hard only when he felt like it. Is Seantrel like that? We are really thin on the offensive line. We only had seven O-Linemen during spring practice. It would be nice if this kid could get some game reps.

Help me out here.

Look forward to seeing you Sept 18th.

Fight On!

has he qualified academically yet?

my prediction is that you will see him on the basketball court before you see him on the football field.

Wow! Great feedback guys. Your opinion matters a lot because you are up close. Pretty much what I have heard so this substantiates it. Three and out or gone ASAP if heavy sanctions come down sounds right.

Sounds like a good kid with a bad dad. Yes, adjustment to D1 is tough on kids, and LA is a tougher place than others. I hope you are right and he keeps clean off the field. There are so many temptations in LA.

The kid, Everson Griffen, I talked about in an earlier post had bad parents also. It was pure theater on the sidelines during practice. However, I don't think Everson himself was playing with a full deck. At practice he reminded me of a Pop Warner kid, turning to his parents and raising his arms when he made a good play. Totally immature.

Thanks for the input. Sorry you lost your hometown boy, but we will try to take care of him and treat him well.

Good luck this season, except Sept 18th.

Fight On!

I am sure you will "try to take care of him"...$$$

Go Gophers!

has he qualified academically yet?

my prediction is that you will see him on the basketball court before you see him on the football field.

Having seen him play several times, he's not D1 caliber, even in the Pac-10. He has the potential to be solid at basketball but I don't think that given his football upside he'll be allowed to do both.

His dad is a world class POS, and because of him, I really doubt that Seantrel will pan out. I bet he starts 2 years for you (not this year), and is average (no all Pac 10 teams) and leaves early as a 3rd or 4th rounder. He has potential, but he doesn't have it mentally, and his dad is a major detriment to his success.

He has the size and speed and little else. He does not initiate contact and plays soft, sort of like Bryan Bulaga did at Iowa (when Ferentz let him start.) Also like Bulaga, his size and speed measurables will get him into the first round of the NFL draft but his college career will be disappointing.

I can only say that if we had landed him, the same people who are saying he is all measurables and will be an average player would be slobbering all over him right now.

I'd say the biggest worry for a USC fan is if his Dad ends his rap career and takes up country music. At that point a transfer to Vanderbilt is a real possibility.

I can only say that if we had landed him, the same people who are saying he is all measurables and will be an average player would be slobbering all over him right now.

Wrong, I have been saying the guy was not the number 1 prospect in the country for almost a year. He has huge upside, but a top 10 prospect should be a lock to be great. There are definite question marks with him.
1) His ability to stay eligible
2) His baggage (his father)
3) Not finishing run blocks
4) Never faced an elite pass rusher in HS, so you don't know how he will hold up

He would have been a huge signing for the gophers and I will be shocked if he is not at least a good college player. He is far from being a lock as a future all-american or even all-conference player. I even think there is a chance he may redshirt.

Seantrel's biggest obstacles will be:

a) His dad.

b) His own desire to be great. I've always got the feeling that Seantrel doesn't even like football that much. (He's admitted basketball is easily his favorite sport.)

He has every physical attribute you could possibly want in an offensive tackle and by most every account he is a good kid. But he has little if any mean streak and I really question if he'll have the desire and the nasty attitude to be a great offensive lineman. That said, he could pretty easily mimic Bryant McKinnie's career even without it since he is so physically talented. I hope he does well, in spite of his father's gain off of it.

Seantrel's biggest obstacles will be:

a) His dad.

b) His own desire to be great. I've always got the feeling that Seantrel doesn't even like football that much. (He's admitted basketball is easily his favorite sport.)

He has every physical attribute you could possibly want in an offensive tackle and by most every account he is a good kid. But he has little if any mean streak and I really question if he'll have the desire and the nasty attitude to be a great offensive lineman. That said, he could pretty easily mimic Bryant McKinnie's career even without it since he is so physically talented. I hope he does well, in spite of his father's gain off of it.

That would not be that hard, not blocking people is pretty easy

There is a degree of truth to your post but in general I disagree. Folks were reporting on here for a long time that he gives up on his blocks and generally plays soft. Some have chalked it up to the fact his heart does not really lie in football but in basketball or some other pursuit altogether. Some have said he is just a really kind, gentle kid that lacks that psycho, killer instinct that can get you to the next level. I don't think anyone challenges the kid's size, speed, or thoughtfulness.

I am angry that his college path appears to have been dictated by his dad's own aspirations. I think Minnesota was the best fit for him and that the lower expectations and, yes, level of practice talent, would have allowed him to come along more slowly and build some confidence at the next level. I know that sounds contrary to logic but it makes sense to me I guess. I would just hate to see him get burned out in the first year and give up on things because Lane Kiffin and Sean Henderson care about themselves and not about Seantrel.

THE JURY IS STILL OUT ON SH.

There is no question in my mind that Seantrell Henderson is a superbly talented football player as far as the physical tools are concerned. Size, speed, strength, agility, all the tools needed to make the running game go and to protect his quarterback from being sacked. Also, I am not here to talk about the negatives and the down sides, so ably chronicled by previous writers on this thread. The proof is on the playing field, and his team did upset mighty Eden Prairie in the state championship football game. I would guess that young Mr. Henderson had a great deal to do with the outcome of that game. However, during the season, the 6-0 Stillwater Ponies played the 6-0 Cretin Derham Hall Raiders. Stillwater won that game 12-7, but SH barely showed up, according to accounts of the game, the statistics, and written comments from those who were there. The story:
http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/63907302.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUeyD8_o8cyaiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU

The statistics:

http://preps.startribune.com/gamerecap.php?yid=0910&gameid=8841

One of the most powerful offenses in the state, Cretin, was held to 112 rushing yards in 40 attempts, a 2.8 average per carry. Their quarterback was sacked three times by the Ponies defense. SH's main responsibilities are to spearhead the running attack and to protect his quarterback. Apparently, he did neither. Check out the following comments from people who were at the game:

anyone's game

Not sure if you were all there, who but Miller did not miss much - except the interception. He threw some great balls - one being dropped. Heller had a man open deep down the middle, which was a sure TD, and it was dropped - or it would have been a wider margin. Not to mention beign on the goal line late in the game. The ponies outclassed Cretin last night - plain and simple. Big H for Cretin looked tired, sloppy and uninterested for most of the game - the ponies ran right at him AND had 5 sacks.
posted by ponycoach on Oct 10, 09 at 6:45 pm |
1 of 1 people liked this comment. Do you?

Why the Ponies Won

The Ponies won the game because of their defense. Henderson may be the #1 recruit in the nation but Jeremy Gillard was the most dominating player on the field. CDH had no answer for the Pony linebackers.
posted by b_bersie on Oct 12, 09 at 8:48 am |
Do you like this comment?
Good luck #1 recruit

Great review of the game listed by the previous post: "The Ponies won the game because of their defense. Henderson may be the #1 recruit in the nation but Jeremy Gillard was the most dominating player on the field. CDH had no answer for the Pony linebackers." I was at the game, in my opinion, you could predict CDH on offense, #1 recruit would go in a pass stance (no other CDH lineman would do that) they would pass. CDH would run when #1 recruit was in a run stance with the rest of lineman. I wasn't going to comment about #1 recruit, but I was thinking the same as a couple of other posters, either he does not care at this point about finishing his high school career or he thinks he is to good for high school. He is a big guy but the little pony defense stood toe to toe with #1. Also I thought the back up QB did a good job. He was ruffled by the pony defense and I don't think it would have mattered if Mr. Hockey was the QB. The pony defense had it figured out for the game.
posted by bigandya7979 on Oct 12, 09 at 11:07 am |

That Stillwater was lost 100% to do with the fact that Alt was out. The only team that challenged Cretin all year when they were 100% was Eagan. CDH vs Eagan was probably the best HS game of the year.

he would of failed out if he came here, his high school pedigree said so, as USC he will have at least a 3.0. But he will be a top 5 draft pick someday regardless.

Seantrel still hasn't qualified academically.

Having seen him play several times, he's not D1 caliber, even in the Pac-10. He has the potential to be solid at basketball but I don't think that given his football upside he'll be allowed to do both.

i don't know whether or not he is D1 caliber, but most minnesota fans were pretty serious about letting him sit at the end of the gopher bench for possible mop-up duty. how much more would USC like to have a 6'8" 330 pound PF to take up some space and lean on the opposing players for five minutes a game.

from all his comments during his recruiting his heart seemed to be in basketball. why not head to a school that will probably need the help on the hardwood (along with the other perks and perceived perks)?

Top Bottom