USC AD resigns

Escaping to Florida as an underling?

I hope Mike Bohn can walk away gracefully. It sounds like he accomplished a lot. The article does make it sound like there are some enemies with disagreements how things were done.

All that glitters is not gold in CA.

All that glitters is not gold in CA.
I would say it does. USC will enter the Big Ten as a very high resource team that flat out bought Lincoln Riley from Oklahoma, attracted a pile of elite transfers, and is a national title contender next year. Their AD job will attract many great candidates.

Add in the super high payroll Dodgers and Angels, the city's glamour NBA franchises, a pair of new NFL teams in a $5B stadium - that the Rams won the Super Bowl in just last year - and I would say that just SoCal alone glitters quite bright.

I would say it does. USC will enter the Big Ten as a very high resource team that flat out bought Lincoln Riley from Oklahoma, attracted a pile of elite transfers, and is a national title contender next year. Their AD job will attract many great candidates.

Add in the super high payroll Dodgers and Angels, the city's glamour NBA franchises, a pair of new NFL teams in a $5B stadium - that the Rams won the Super Bowl in just last year - and I would say that just SoCal alone glitters quite bright.
Plus crushing inflation, taxes, and population exit! Fun city!

Plus crushing inflation, taxes, and population exit! Fun city!
It must have become expensive and crowded because nobody wants to live there or move there.

Fox News, by shaming California and any major American city as a top editorial priority, has convinced millions living in much poorer states that the state which had the greatest economic boom on the planet over the past 10-20 years is now the worst place in America.

Last edited:

I am talking about the outgoing AD.

I keep hearing how much of a disadvantage it is to try to recruit to a university in a big city. Should I assume they will have trouble attracting candidates?

I keep hearing how much of a disadvantage it is to try to recruit to a university in a big city. Should I assume they will have trouble attracting candidates?
Unfortunately I think joining the B1G with its broader geographic appeal will only further help USC and UCLA recruit from the Midwest. Kids in the Midwest/Northeast B1G territory will be able to consider that they’d come back closer to home for a number of conference games where their family and friends can see them play. PAC 12 games were often late and got less coverage but now they will be all over BTN’s 24 hour news cycle. To that point, if they add 4+ more schools they’re going to either need to lengthen their TV shows or it will surely dilute the coverage of “non helmet school” programs in the conference (we can all guess whose coverage will get shorted).

Guessing this has something to do with it:

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...rsue-unlawful-labor-practices-usc-pac-12-ncaa

NLRB to pursue unlawful labor practices against USC, Pac-12, NCAA

Meaningless, until some mechanism at NLRB shuts it down or it heads up the ladder to our beer-loving SCOTUS justice et al. The tortured logic of the myriad joint employer rulings over the years since Kain Colter highlight the political nature of this topic. Maybe NIL orgs and individuals dangling money to players will be implicated as joint employers soon as this craziness spreads. Who knows.

Meaningless, until some mechanism at NLRB shuts it down or it heads up the ladder to our beer-loving SCOTUS justice et al. The tortured logic of the myriad joint employer rulings over the years since Kain Colter highlight the political nature of this topic. Maybe NIL orgs and individuals dangling money to players will be implicated as joint employers soon as this craziness spreads. Who knows.
Yeah, maybe? I was just saying perhaps it was why he decided now was a good time to exit

I keep hearing how much of a disadvantage it is to try to recruit to a university with a history of losing and not paying their people.Should I assume they will have trouble attracting candidates?

Fixed it and USC won't.

The Athletic wrote there were numerous problems.
Among them, Bohn's assistant left. He was the mover and shaker.
Bohn hated the idea of NIL and did nothing to encourage groups to start one for USC.
Finally, USC is starting an investigation into claims of sexual harassment in the workplace.
Suddenly announcing your "retirement" on a Friday afternoon does suggest you were made redundant.

It must have become expensive and crowded because nobody wants to live there or move there.

Fox News, by shaming California and any major American city as a top editorial priority, has convinced millions living in much poorer states that the state which had the greatest economic boom on the planet over the past 10-20 years is now the worst place in America.

I guess there is something to be said for hiring a squeaky clean, nerdy AD...

I lived in Southern California for years, and my first kid was born there. The downfall of Southern California us only a political issue to people who have no connection to the area.

Do you think to the average bartender in Hollywood tgst their life was somehow better because Facebook WAS in California?

Southern California is too crowded and people are fleeing there. Do you think you found some Yogi Beraism? The people who can afford to pack up and leave, are leaving. Most of the people cannot, so it’s still hyper crowded.

I don’t know a single person who lived in LA that don’t think it’s circling drain and the vast majority of those are friends are left of AOC politically. The only people I’ve met that think it’s Fox News propaganda have no connection to SoCal.

You got to be joking. Minn. tax rate would be welcome in Cal. Plus while our Governor is an idiot, he is a genius compared to liberal stooge in California.

Shooter chimes in:

>> Considering his Big Ten experience and career track record, Gophers athletics director Mark Coyle would seem a likely prospect for the AD job that opened Friday at the University of Southern California, which joins the Big Ten next year.

Go Gophers!!

Fox News, by shaming California and any major American city as a top editorial priority, has convinced millions living in much poorer states that the state which had the greatest economic boom on the planet over the past 10-20 years is now the worst place
Please tell us more about your political leanings. It is oh so fascinating.

Again I ask, what economic boom? Do you mean highest taxes in the U.S., more people living on the streets than the population of 5 states, far more people leaving than moving to. Nothing good about Cal., nothing good at all. I could go on and on. I say this having spent lots of time in Cal. particularly southern Cal. of course, that was when I was young and stupid. Never again (unless the Gophers get to the Rose Bowl).

Maybe the USC job...oh sorry.

Didn't realize that this has been annexed to the Off-Topic Board: Politics and Current Events

Shooter chimes in:

>> Considering his Big Ten experience and career track record, Gophers athletics director Mark Coyle would seem a likely prospect for the AD job that opened Friday at the University of Southern California, which joins the Big Ten next year.

Go Gophers!!
He's from northern Iowa, but got his Master's at Florida State and has been at Kentucky, Boise, and Syracuse in various athletic dept roles before coming back to the U.

Wonder if he would not be interested in moving out to LA and living in that area, regardless of the money.

Buying a house out there is crazy expensive.

He's from northern Iowa, but got his Master's at Florida State and has been at Kentucky, Boise, and Syracuse in various athletic dept roles before coming back to the U.

Wonder if he would not be interested in moving out to LA and living in that area, regardless of the money.

Buying a house out there is crazy expensive.
Guessing, the compensation factors the cost of living.

Again I ask, what economic boom? Do you mean highest taxes in the U.S., more people living on the streets than the population of 5 states, far more people leaving than moving to. Nothing good about Cal., nothing good at all. I could go on and on. I say this having spent lots of time in Cal. particularly southern Cal. of course, that was when I was young and stupid. Never again (unless the Gophers get to the Rose Bowl).
Weather is good

if the reports are accurate - that Bohn was essentially forced out due to complaints of sexual harassment - then USC might very well want someone with a squeaky-clean image. and Coyle would certainly fit that bill.

Top Bottom