USAToday gives Gophers an A+ season grade

Fan of Ray Christensen

Reaction score
Teams graded on a curve, based on pre-season expectations.

Gophers one of only four teams to get an A+, others were Baylor, Clemson and LSU.

Iowa with an A-, wisconsin a B+. Nebraska blistered with a D+, Northwestern with a D.

8e365324-cc07-4cc5-9d8e-ee82351b738b.jpg

Didn't USA today just come out with a "too early" 2020 top 25 and ignore the Gophers? hmmmm.

Didn't USA today just come out with a "too early" 2020 top 25 and ignore the Gophers? hmmmm.

Well it could be we got an A+because they think we magicly over performed and we actually suck or something and ... that way the grade and too early would jive ... :(

To me an A+ meant Rose Bowl, and we were 4 points from that. It was a beautiful A season nonetheless.

I agree. Can't give it an A+ without a pig or axe in the case. Great year still, a sure A. Relative to expectations I wager we are the 2nd happiest fanbase in college football right now, after only LSU.

With a five star qb to boot. Their offense competed with Rutgers at times for most impossibly bad performance for a power 5 team. Their defense was actually decent but probably tired and demoralized.

Northwestern deserves an F.

Wow, that would have seemed like one of the easiest grades to give. They were ranked pre-season I believe and their only wins were UNLV, UMASS, and an OK Illinois. To go from best to worst in the West should have been an easy F. Not sure why they ended up with a D instead.

How is Rutgers not an F. They were historically terrible.

Nothwestern’s QB Green just got a sixth year. And yes we are not in the early top 25. Iowa is 10 even with them speculating early departures to the NFL.

Clemson gets an A+? What, everyone thought they were going to suck this year?

How is Rutgers not an F. They were historically terrible.

Agreed. I know the expectations were low, but even measured against that their season was an abject failure with almost no positives. The only win was getting Schiano back.

Nothwestern’s QB Green just got a sixth year. And yes we are not in the early top 25. Iowa is 10 even with them speculating early departures to the NFL.
Wow, how is that possible? Similar schedule to this year, a lot of returning talent, finished 10th in rankings. Should be at worst in the high teens low 20s. Still don't think the Gophers are real I guess.

Wow, how is that possible? Similar schedule to this year, a lot of returning talent, finished 10th in rankings. Should be at worst in the high teens low 20s. Still don't think the Gophers are real I guess.
Some writers have commented that they think next years schedule is significantly harder than this years was.

I don't agree with them, but that may be their reasoning for not including us.

Some writers have commented that they think next years schedule is significantly harder than this years was.

I don't agree with them, but that may be their reasoning for not including us.

That makes no sense. Unless they are saying the poll is who they anticipate to be top 25 by the end of the year. But a pre-season poll means going into the season who are the best 25 teams. That has nothing to do with schedule.

That makes no sense. Unless they are saying the poll is who they anticipate to be top 25 by the end of the year. But a pre-season poll means going into the season who are the best 25 teams. That has nothing to do with schedule.
It's a subjective ranking that they could be basing on whatever criteria they feel is best. I think a lot of them do try to project what the final 25 will be in their pre-season top 25.

Top Bottom