USA TODAY Sports AFCA Coaches Preseason Poll (#4 Ohio State, #15 Wisconsin, #17 Indiana, #18 Iowa, #20 Penn State)

Taji34

Reaction score
  1. Alabama
  2. Clemson
  3. Oklahoma
  4. Ohio State
  5. Georgia
  6. Texas A&M
  7. Notre Dame
  8. Iowa State
  9. North Carolina
  10. Cincinnati
  11. Florida
  12. Oregon
  13. Louisiana State
  14. Southern California
  15. Wisconsin
  16. Miami
  17. Indiana
  18. Iowa
  19. Texas
  20. Penn State
  21. Washington
  22. Oklahoma State
  23. UL Lafayette
  24. Coastal Carolina
  25. Mississippi
Others receiving votes:
Utah 145; Northwestern 120; Arizona State 90; Auburn 84; Liberty 68; Brigham Young 53; Texas Christian 48; Michigan 30; Central Florida 29; NC State 27; Boise State 27; Kentucky 20; San Jose State 18; Army 13; Virginia Tech 9; Missouri 8; UCLA 7; Tulsa 6; Pittsburgh 6; Boston College 6; Houston 5; Ball State 5; West Virginia 4; Southern Methodist 4; Appalachian State 4; UAB 3; Arkansas 3; Nevada 2; Mississippi State 2; Air Force 2; Stanford 1; Marshall 1; Florida State 1; California 1.

Why? Because we have not earned a spot in the top 50? Wisconsin is perennial top 15 from the start and Iowa makes at least top 25 as well yearly, they earn it.. I think Indiana goes higher and Oklahoma should be at #7 or #8

Why? Because we have not earned a spot in the top 50? Wisconsin is perennial top 15 from the start and Iowa makes at least top 25 as well yearly, they earn it.. I think Indiana goes higher and Oklahoma should be at #7 or #8
Agree after maybe 35 it really becomes a crapshoot but Cal Bears?

Perhaps I spoke too soon on Sharma's comments on another thread. I can see where we may not make the top 25, but we didn't even make the next 35 spots. Is there a bookie somewhere where I'll take the Gophers finishing in the top 60 at the end of the year?

Pretty close to the final polls at end of 2020. Except Wisconsin and Penn State get to jump a bunch and Northwestern gets the annual dump out of the rankings.

Wisconsin in particular getting universal love this preseason in spite of going 3-3 in Big Ten last year, and needing an OT win against Minnesota at home to avoid finishing last in the West.

Perhaps I spoke too soon on Sharma's comments on another thread. I can see where we may not make the top 25, but we didn't even make the next 35 spots. Is there a bookie somewhere where I'll take the Gophers finishing in the top 60 at the end of the year?
No, cuz no one cares who rounds out the top 60

Indiana won't be ranked to end the year.

Not surprised we were not in the top 25. Very surprised we didn't get any votes. I feel like we are really being overlooked and that is not a bad thing at all. This team is setup well to have a big year.

I think they forgot how to spell "Minnesota" they spelled it "Alabama".

Florida State with only one vote? Nebraska State without a top 5 ranking is odd too (Yes, I am now calling them Nebraska State).

Not surprised we were not in the top 25. Very surprised we didn't get any votes. I feel like we are really being overlooked and that is not a bad thing at all. This team is setup well to have a big year.
We were under .500 with zero wins against teams over .500
5 big ten teams in the top 20

Not surprised at all.

the only people who could/should vote us top 25 are people hoping to pump up Ohio states resume

Couldn’t care less where we are ranked preseason, because this team is very different than last year’s. Right now our image is suffering from “recency bias.” I will care whether and where we might be ranked after our first six games, with Ohio State, Colorado, Purdue and Nebraska in the rear view mirror. The strengths, weaknesses, talent and mettle of the 2021 team will be very evident, one way or another, by then.

I'm thinking it was more the repeating of a long standing joke than any real frustration. It did surprise me though that they didn't get at least one vote.

These pre-season rankings are stupid and should cease until at last after week two or three.

Shockingly this might be the year that Michigan is not given a lofty ranking and actually performs above expectations.

I hate the UL- Lafayette and Coastal Carolina rankings and am not too sold on IU either. (or for that matter Northwestern).

Texas, Oregon, and Iowa State might be rated too high as well, if last year allegedly is so important, and last year's result were a total outlier other than for the top four to six big dog programs.

We will see if Cincinnati, USC or Miami are any good as well. I would bet about 12 to 15 of these 25 are rated by year end.

Other than 1-6 who are near automatic, , I also would expect toughness from Florida, North Carolina for sure and probably Wisconsin and Notre Dame. Washington,Penn St, LSU and Ok St. are probably pretty legitimate as well, but the rest are all crap shoots or worse. I

Last edited:

Well, the basement has been set.

Getting even one vote before Dec. 8 will be progress...

The setup is there for the Gophers to be ranked stupidly high for a while, since the first game is Ohio State and the rest of the schedule is November-loaded.

Not saying it will happen, but the setup is there, kind of like it was in 2019 where all the hard games were at the end and you could squint in August and see 8-0 Minnesota hosting Penn State.

The setup is there for the Gophers to be ranked stupidly high for a while, since the first game is Ohio State and the rest of the schedule is November-loaded.

Not saying it will happen, but the setup is there, kind of like it was in 2019 where all the hard games were at the end and you could squint in August and see 8-0 Minnesota hosting Penn State.
Yeah except I’m not sure what you mean by “stupidly high”

The gophers finished 10th at the very end and were never rated higher than 7th.

Yeah except I’m not sure what you mean by “stupidly high”

The gophers finished 10th at the very end and were never rated higher than 7th.

Top 10? Maybe fringe top 5 if a scenario were to unfold where the Gophers beat Ohio State and then meander through the next 7-8 games with a bunch of wins. The likely 3 hardest remaining conference games are the last 3.

I guess by stupidly high, I mean they could wind up outranking where they actually finish based on those dynamics. This all depends on the unlikely event of upsetting Ohio State.

Top 10? Maybe fringe top 5 if a scenario were to unfold where the Gophers beat Ohio State and then meander through the next 7-8 games with a bunch of wins. The likely 3 hardest remaining conference games are the last 3.

I guess by stupidly high, I mean they could wind up outranking where they actually finish based on those dynamics. This all depends on the unlikely event of upsetting Ohio State.
Yeah but if they end up getting rated as high as 5-8th but finish rated 15th is it really that outlandish.

The difference between 7th and 13th for a power 5 team is usually one loss. And that one loss could be caused by literally one play

We were under .500 with zero wins against teams over .500
5 big ten teams in the top 20

Not surprised at all.

the only people who could/should vote us top 25 are people hoping to pump up Ohio states resume
Yep, unless you're a blueblood, you don't get a preseason ranking coming off a losing season.

I think they forgot how to spell "Minnesota" they spelled it "Alabama".

Florida State with only one vote? Nebraska State without a top 5 ranking is odd too (Yes, I am now calling them Nebraska State).
I prefer Neb Tech.

I get why preseason polls exist, based on returning talent and last year's results. Still, I have taken every preseason poll with a grain of salt since USC was ranked No. 1 in 2012.

Indiana won't be ranked to end the year.
Indiana is right where we were last year - cautiously placed right about where the pollsters think a perennial mid-B1G team (at best) coming off a breakout year should be placed.
Indiana will have to prove it, just like we had to...but failed.

Top Bottom