USA Today on Al Golden coming to MN

GopherinPhilly

Reaction score
NOTES, QUOTES

--With the University of Minnesota having fired its head coach Tim Brewster this week, Al Golden's name has already surfaced on the wish list of names in newspapers and web sites around the country, but Golden won't leave North Broad Street for Minnesota. The reason? He has another Big Ten school in mind as his dream destination (his alma mater Penn State). And given the Nittany Lions' struggles on the field and on the recruiting trail this fall, Joe Paterno might step down at season's end and Golden, given his miraculous work at Temple and the fact that he played for Paterno, would have to be near the top of Penn State's wish list.

Well, it's good that that's official then I guess. One more name to scratch off the list, and obviously it's much more productive to focus your attention and efforts on coaches whom we realistically have a shot at landing.

We'll get our shot at Golden, when we play Penn State. :)

Golden has been a head coach for only a short time; has a losing record; what's the appeal? Fullmer or Belotti make him look like nothing, as does Richt.

Temple was 3-31 combined the three years before he was hired. He turned the program around, in his 2nd year they had 4 wins, the same amount they had the last four year combined. Last year they were 9-4. This year they are 5-2 so far, with a win over Connecticut. Seems like he has done pretty well at Temple.

Are there any quotes in that article from Bolden himself or is that just supposition by the author? Until I see a direct quote saying "I am not interested in the Minnesota job." I am taking any article as mostly meaningless.

Are there any quotes in that article from Bolden himself or is that just supposition by the author? Until I see a direct quote saying "I am not interested in the Minnesota job." I am taking any article as mostly meaningless.

I would think Bolden would be more suited for the basketball job since she played on the Gophers Final Four run.;)

I would think Bolden would be more suited for the basketball job since she played on the Gophers Final Four run.;)

Haha....good point! Do you think we could just have her run downfield and throw her jump balls? It wouldn't be much different than rebounding!

Golden just does not have enough of a record yet or the cachet for recruiting

Are there any quotes in that article from Golden himself or is that just supposition by the author? Until I see a direct quote saying "I am not interested in the Minnesota job." I am taking any article as mostly meaningless.
I agree. Throw enough money at him and he may decide it's in his best interest to not wait around for Joe Pa to retire. Maybe he's not their top choice too, they may have somebody in house in mind. Gary Schiano of Rutgers is another Penn St alum they may prefer. Way too early to give up on Golden IMO.

Thought I'd troll over to the PSU boards to see what they think about Golden as their next coach. Here is a link to a good debate they are having about it from their scout board.

To summarize, they are not high on Golden at all. Of the few that even mention him as an option, most dismiss him as not having done well enough at Temple. Interestingly one poster said a PSU booster told him (grain of salt) Golden burned a lot of bridges when he left Penn State and the administration hasn't forgotten that.

I agree with others that until Golden says he doesn't want the Minnesota job I'll continue to consider (hope?) him. While it seems like he might be holding out for something (has turned down other jobs, TENN I think?) it seems like the fans and maybe boosters at Penn ST aren't so thrilled about him.

Golden has been a head coach for only a short time; has a losing record; what's the appeal? Fullmer or Belotti make him look like nothing, as does Richt.

Richt is more of a pipe dream than reality and Belotti and Fullmer although great coaches are old and not what we need at the U.

On name alone, you folks should pursue Golden.

"Hi, I'm Golden, Gopher Coach."

Richt is more of a pipe dream than reality and Belotti and Fullmer although great coaches are old and not what we need at the U.

Possibly true.

But Tubby Smith was a pipe dream as well before he accepted our Golden Gopher basketball team.

I'm not saying Richt is a lock, I'm saying we really can't oust anybody from the search just yet.

Aren't there like 5 or 6 head coaches out there who are all the guy Penn St is going to hire when Paterno retires? I hear that about Golden, Edsall, Schiano...

I'd be shocked if Golden is the next to be hired at Penn St. I think they will go one of two routes: (1) Hire from within (most likely); (2) Hire a big name coach (Harbaugh).

I don't see them making a splash and gearing away from JoePa's current staff unless that person brings a ton of excitment to Happy Valley.

If he was really the heir apparent to JoePa, wouldn't Penn State have found a way to bring him on their staff already? Even if we have to give him a Lou Holtz clause in case Penn State comes calling, I would take a couple good years if it got us out of the ditch.

I'd be shocked if Golden is the next to be hired at Penn St. I think they will go one of two routes: (1) Hire from within (most likely); (2) Hire a big name coach (Harbaugh).

I don't see them making a splash and gearing away from JoePa's current staff unless that person brings a ton of excitment to Happy Valley.

Agree. Paterno doesn't strike me as the type of guy that would approve naming somebody from outside the program. JoePa has always been noted for creating stability and maintaining loyalty to the Penn State program. I find it hard to believe that he would endorse anybody other than somebody on his current staff to become the next coach in State College.

Agree. Paterno doesn't strike me as the type of guy that would approve naming somebody from outside the program. JoePa has always been noted for creating stability and maintaining loyalty to the Penn State program. I find it hard to believe that he would endorse anybody other than somebody on his current staff to become the next coach in State College.

I know some have speculated that Penn State will hire from outside, but there are coordinators there who have been there since the ice age, and could easily have HC jobs of their own. It would seem like a real snub to bring in an outsider. And do we know how close is he really to retiring? All he has to do is name his successor, and that's the way it will be.

Ooooh... Imagine this. With his final breath, he says "I want the next coach of Penn State to be..." just then his phone rings. Tim Brewster's name appears in Caller ID. JoePa says "Tim Brewster?" and then says no more.

Are people serious? Do they really sit and wonder why a school like Temple isn't invited into the AFC East? It is fudding TEMPLE!! TEMPLE!!!!

Temple made an art of losing to D-II teams. They were contracted from the Big East.....the Big East kicked Temple football out for sucking. Pretty much were Minnesota is headed unless they clean this up.

Al Golden is an excellent candidate. Easily the most experienced football coach in college football at the age of 41. He is a great scout, he selects talent and is able to build and change a losing mentality to a winning mentality. This is a trait we need here. We are losers. Face it. Admit it, we are Temple 5 years ago.

Golden just does not have enough of a record yet or the cachet for recruiting

Recruiting is scouting. Golden is a great scout. Golden has identified talent that nobody else wanted nor thought was worthy of "stars" yet Golden was right.

College football fans that know little about college football think recruiting and stars are infallible. These fans make me sick, they don;t get it. Sadly Minnesota has a surplus of part time college football fans parroting half baked conventional wisdom about college football they heard from some ex-NFL guy.

Further, Golden was recruiting coordinator with Virgina. And he has recruited the top LB to Virgina when he was LB coach there.

Give me a break he can't recruit. Your analysis is essentially, oh, he works for Temple, he sucks.
Well you probably were impressed that BREWSTER worked for the NFL and the DENVER BRONCOS!!!! The Broncos would paste Florida and Tim Tebow, so Brewster was clearly going to bring that NFL style to the U...yea....that is how it works.

Just give you some fake credentials and you are sold.

Usually football coaches at age 40 are still position coaches. Golden is 2 steps beyond that and has had success in a place that hasn't had ANY.

Top Bottom