USA Today: Elite high school basketball programs to form a new powerhouse national league

BleedGopher

Reaction score
With many of these games likely televised nationally, how long until HS students raise issue of HS's making money off their likeness?

per USA Today:

With the Overtime Elite basketball program formed to allure top high school basketball talent with the promise of salaries and myriad other benefits, the winds of elite high school basketball are continuing to change. Now another showcase league is forming to offer opportunities to top prospects who want to keep their collegiate eligibility in tact.

A group of high school basketball powerhouses that feature some of the game's top prospects on their rosters are forming a league called the National Interscholastic Basketball Conference (NIBC) that features a 10-game regular season and a postseason tournament, ESPN reported Monday. Among the teams that will compete in the NIBC are Oak Hill Academy (Virginia), Montverde Academy (Florida), La Lumiere School (Indiana), Sunrise Christian Academy (Kansas) Wasatch Academy (Utah) and IMG Academy (Florida).

Collectively, those six programs have 15 of the top-100 players from the Class of 2022 on their rosters, according to the 247Sports Composite. Among the most notable from the group are four top-10 prospects, including No. 2 overall prospect Jalen Duran, who plays for Montverde Academy.

Go Gophers!!

When will it ever end. People now trying to exploit high school kids for profit.

Good heavens, we just don't learn. Isn't the AAU enough? This is so out of balance.

I thought these prep schools already had their own league? This is probably for the best, these teams are barely high schools. They are sports academies.
Look at a Minnesota Charter School, Gentry Academy, as your local example. "Small class sizes + athletics." Last year both boys and girls hockey went to the State tournament via recruiting of athlete's and academics is a secondary issue.

A group of high school basketball powerhouses that feature some of the game's top prospects on their rosters are forming a league called the National Interscholastic Basketball Conference (NIBC) that features a 10-game regular season and a postseason tournament, ESPN reported Monday. Among the teams that will compete in the NIBC are Oak Hill Academy (Virginia), Montverde Academy (Florida), La Lumiere School (Indiana), Sunrise Christian Academy (Kansas) Wasatch Academy (Utah) and IMG Academy (Florida).
This isn't really new to high school sports. Shattuck has done this for decades now with their hockey program.

When will it ever end. People now trying to exploit high school kids for profit.
The high school kids and their families need to make the call on whether they are exploited or not. I don't think this is a great idea, as it closes off educational opportunities in the future if the pros doesn't work. But that's a decision the family needs to make. I don't see it a lot different than a low drafted baseball player choosing to play minor leagues instead of college, just a little younger. Playing for little money and low, if any, signing bonus. Making the calculation this is the best vehicle to the dream.

I thought these prep schools already had their own league? This is probably for the best, these teams are barely high schools. They are sports academies.

Not all of them. Until it jumped on the basketball bandwagon some years back, La Lumiere was known as a prestigious Catholic boarding school. Chief Justice John Roberts is an alum.

Oak Hill of course was the pioneer of today's elite basketball prep school programs but they actually offered their first classes in 1878.

I don't think this is a great idea, as it closes off educational opportunities in the future if the pros doesn't work.

I don't see where it says they get paid. I think they would still be amateurs even if they play the most elite schedule in the country.

I have no issue with this at all. This is how it is in almost every sport in the world. It's weird for us but it'll be similar to tennis, soccer in Europe, etc.

But don't the kids get payed or some compensation in other clubs like this around the world?

Perfect time for somebody to start up a Junior Basketball League for 16 to 20 year old males.

Look at a Minnesota Charter School, Gentry Academy, as your local example. "Small class sizes + athletics." Last year both boys and girls hockey went to the State tournament via recruiting of athlete's and academics is a secondary issue.
I always thought that small classes in a Charter school led to a better overall academic experience and success compared to public schooling. Is that assumption incorrect?

I don't think this is the end of the world. These are very specialized schools that already exist on a different level than most HS teams - even really good teams like Minnehaha Academy in MN.

It would be like Shattuck-St. Mary's getting in a 'conference' with other hockey schools of that caliber. If there are any...... the different with hockey is that a lot of the elite kids just bolt from HS for the developmental programs.

If they want to do their own thing, let them. If it's on TV, I might watch 5 minutes just for shites and giggles.

I always thought that small classes in a Charter school led to a better overall academic experience and success compared to public schooling. Is that assumption incorrect?
There is much more to it, but certainly a class size of 10-15 is much better than sizes of 40 or more.

I would focus on the philosophy of education that the school has adopted. For me, I see great value in classical education and the trivium. The process of learning to think has produced great minds throughout history. Conversely, the open school philosophy has failed many who have tried it. There are philosophical reasons and flawed assumptions that I believe make one form better than another. But, yes, smaller class sizes are demonstrably better.

I don't see where it says they get paid. I think they would still be amateurs even if they play the most elite schedule in the country.
I think my post belongs in another thread. The one about a pro high school age development league. Schools won’t pay but that other league will.

Overtime elite is the paid route. The elite basketball factories are the amateur route.

Top Bottom