USA Today: As challenges loom for college athletics because of coronavirus, question becomes: Is the party over?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per USA Today:

The American economic boom of the last decade has gone hand-in-hand with a fundamental change in the financial reach of college athletics. Beyond the obvious growth areas like television revenue and the College Football Playoff, which helped fuel an exponential rise in coaching salaries, athletic departments became much more sophisticated at getting their fans to part with large amounts of money.

As the stock market roared and businesses thrived, schools climbed over each other to promote hotshot fundraisers into athletic director jobs, launch eight- and nine-figure facilities projects, endow coaching positions and reorient their stadiums toward amenities and premium experiences.

But the looming economic fallout from the coronavirus pandemic has raised a question that athletic departments of all sizes are scrambling to assess: Is the party over?

“One of the byproducts we’re facing is people who have lost 25 or 30% of their net value of their portfolio or their retirement funds, that’s going to have some impact on us,” said Utah State athletic director John Hartwell, who finished a $36 million project in 2016 that added 24 luxury suites and more than 700 premium seats to the Aggies’ football stadium. “You could have someone who was buying a suite and 10 club seats but may say, hey I don’t need those extra seats anymore. I think we all have to be prepared for that, but we’re trying to be as proactive as we can. We’re making sure we try to touch base with all of our donors to keep them engaged.”

In a sense, college athletics is no different other sports and entertainment businesses, all of which will face various levels of uncertainty in the post-coronavirus pandemic world. But what made college athletics different, particularly in the last several years, is how much of its growth was fueled by philanthropy and invested in luxuries that were primarily designed to appeal to recruits.

But from the very top of the sport to the bottom, the availability of those revenue streams are being challenged in ways that even administrators who went through the 2008 financial crisis are unsure how to assess.

“Even back then, you knew there was an endgame,” Hartwell said. “History told you the market is going to turn back up, stay the course. But this encompasses people’s financial health, their physical health and, in some cases, mortality. It’s a whole different ballgame. There’s just so much uncertainty still out there that we can’t quantify. We can all guess, but until the health risks have subsided we can't really come up with scenarios that have meat to them. And in the meantime we control what we can control.”

Go Gophers!!

A lot of the revenue money comes from TV, and college athletics has pretty low labor costs.

If you're heavily reliant on suites and corporate sponsorships ... maybe a reason to be concerned.

But "party is over" seems like a dramatic overstatement.

The one thing, IMHO, all TV really, really lacks is quality content at every level. Nor is the economy or the stock market down forever or even for the month. I think the situation re college football is totally up in the air for now and the sportswriters have nothing better to do with their ink than to speculate about nothing based on no facts.

A lot of the revenue money comes from TV, and college athletics has pretty low labor costs.

If you're heavily reliant on suites and corporate sponsorships ... maybe a reason to be concerned.

If anything it would be nice if college football started becoming an 'amateur' sport again. The drama that has come with the money-ness of college football has been disheartening.

College football, while vastly different today in terms of revenue, survived the Spanish Flu, Great Depression, two World Wars and the Great Recession. It will survive, however, money generated will be less and, therefore, money spent will be less. Schools will not be able to afford millions of dollars in salaries and folks won't spend thousands on tickets. I think hello-world is somewhat right in that the sport becoming more of an amateur sport again

Mark Coyle already said he knows things will be different on the other end of this whole thing, so I wouldn't be surprised to see radically different pricing on all sports come fall. If the economy is down, people will be less likely to buy expensive tickets and food (even moreso than what already happens).

Prices will need to go down to stay semi-profitable.

I think it depends on what you think the party is. If you mean football, then no, I don't think there will be a world without college football. But if you mean the current model of college athletics where football and basketball can generate enough revenue through media rights, ticket sales, sopnsorships and donations to support themselves, non-revenue sports and ever expanding luxuries for student-athletes in a Title IX environment, then yes, I think that party may be over if schools like the U (which just took a mutli-million dollar hit when the basketball tournaments were cancelled) lose a year of football generated revenue on top of the hit they just took.

I still maintain the biggest impact on college sports will be the eventual end of traditional cable tv and the move to streaming video. all of the current agreements will have to be re-negotiated. advertising rates will have to be adjusted, because they have been based in part on the number of subscribers to ESPN and other channels.

how do you measure viewership when you have people watching games on their phones - or multiple parties sharing their sign-on information?

I predict that we have hit the high-water mark for TV revenue for college sports. the BTN's of the world are going to have to adjust.

People love live sports. Whether it’s via cable or live stream there is a distributor and they will get paid.

The stock market as of today is at roughly the same level it was way back in December 2018 and only about 8% behind where it was in June 2019. People are acting like all this wealth was vaporized and it still may be, but this crisis has merely taken equities from all-time valuations to above historical average ones.

The vast majority of fancy things we're talking about in the past decades of CFB were built and paid for in lower markets than the one today, even in the midst of disaster. The Dow was at roughly 9,500 for TCF's opening game. Game attendance and ticket sales were broadly better then than now.

As long as the games go forward, things will be more than fine. If they don't, NCAA sports will still get government bailout to get things back to normal. And they should, as cultural touchstones for America.

The stock market as of today is at roughly the same level it was way back in December 2018 and only about 8% behind where it was in June 2019. People are acting like all this wealth was vaporized and it still may be, but this crisis has merely taken equities from all-time valuations to above historical average ones.

The vast majority of fancy things we're talking about in the past decades of CFB were built and paid for in lower markets than the one today, even in the midst of disaster. The Dow was at roughly 9,500 for TCF's opening game. Game attendance and ticket sales were broadly better then than now.

As long as the games go forward, things will be more than fine. If they don't, NCAA sports will still get government bailout to get things back to normal. And they should, as cultural touchstones for America.
The stock market gets lazy press coverage, but the unemployment / unemployed folks are the big concern long term economiclly ...

The one thing, IMHO, all TV really, really lacks is quality content at every level. Nor is the economy or the stock market down forever or even for the month. I think the situation re college football is totally up in the air for now and the sportswriters have nothing better to do with their ink than to speculate about nothing based on no facts.
Live TV is worthless. Except: the news, and sports.

All the rest of it, is massively bloated by commercials and mostly not good content to begin with.

It badly needs sports. They will continue to pay the big colleges, big dollars.

Top Bottom