Urban meyer to tOSU

scher215

Reaction score
Surprised no one has posted this yet, but rumor is urban Meyer will be the new head coach at Ohio State.

This is according to Scout.Com via twitter.

Yeah, that's the rumor. Urban Meyer is a great coach and he already bought a house in a suburb of Columbus.

That said, I do think it would be kind of raw deal for Fickel. He got hired under pretty bad circumstances, had some of his best players either abruptly leave (Pryor) or miss most/all the season (Herron and Posey) and he patched together a decent team. He also has put together another good recruiting class.

Kind of a raw deal for Florida, too. They signed him to a long term, highly-lucrative deal through 2015. He "retired" and now might take the gig at OSU. I would assume that if he takes the OSU job, that he would owe Florida the 500K buyout in his contract, but that's probably it.

Yeah, that's the rumor. Urban Meyer is a great coach and he already bought a house in a suburb of Columbus.

That said, I do think it would be kind of raw deal for Fickel. He got hired under pretty bad circumstances, had some of his best players either abruptly leave (Pryor) or miss most/all the season (Herron and Posey) and he patched together a decent team. He also has put together another good recruiting class.

I feel a bit for Fickell as well. I'm sure he'll land in a good place, at least I hope he will.

Because Fickel sure had no clue what was going on behind the scenes.

I feel a bit for Fickell as well. I'm sure he'll land in a good place, at least I hope he will.

Wouldn't be surprised if he lands at Michigan State with Dantonio in some capacity. They've coached together in the past and they're friends, I think?

Fickell never had a real shot at the head job, he was just a place holder while the whole Tressell mess was sorted out. I am sure this will help him land a head job somewhere else if he wants one or a top assistant job if he would like to go back to that level. OSU was going to have a national coaching search in the off-season regardless of how this year turned out. The only thing that might have landed Fickell the job would have been a great season and a win against Michigan.

I did some research on this last night, the only thing that can be confirmed, is that they talked. At this time the severity of looming sanctions is holding up a deal. It looks like there is a good possibility that Fickell stays as DC and Associate Head Coach.

Hiring Fickell is similar to the argument of hiring Horton. If they didn't just happen to be in the right place at the right time to be shoved in the interim coach position, would they have even been considered for the job? No. Neither one had the background to show that they could be successful as a full time head coach, especially at that level. Fickel has never been an offensive or defensive coordinator, he was a position coach for most of his career, and never a head coach at any level. In otherwords, Brewster was probably more qualified.

Fickell will get his chances elsewhere. He'll likely be a high level assistant somewhere (maybe even tOSU) or coordinator. Maybe a non-BCS school takes a chance and gives him a shot at head coach. But tOSU really should be looking outside the organization.

Fickel has never been an offensive or defensive coordinator, he was a position coach for most of his career

He was Ohio St.'s DC for six years before being hired as interim HC this season. He was a position coach for the five seasons prior to that.

He was Ohio St.'s DC for six years before being hired as interim HC this season. He was a position coach for the five seasons prior to that.

dpo,
not that I'm paying close attention, but your batting average appears to be slippin' just a bit lately...

Jim Heacock has been Ohio State's DC since 2004...FYI...

dpo,
not that I'm paying close attention, but your batting average appears to be slippin' just a bit lately...

Jim Heacock has been Ohio State's DC since 2004...FYI...

Yes, along with Luke Fickell since 2005...FYI...

Heacock has never been a "Co-" anything. For the past 7 seasons, he has run the defense. Period.

Fickell has never been a full-fledged coordinator (same with Tim Brewster), or a head coach anywhere...

This is, in part, why Fickell is not ready to take over the reigns at a big-time BCS program. He was just keeping the seat warm for a few months. He needs a bit more seasoning, and he will likely begin to get some of that as Ohio State's full-fledged DC, starting in the weeks ahead.

Anytime you see a "Co-" in front of someone's title, or "Associate" in front of someone's title, that generally means someone else is doing the heavy lifting.

On ESPN radio today it was reported that Meyer said he had not been offered or accepted a job. Nothing about talking...

From what I've read, everything is on hold until a Nov 26 conference call with the NCAA, when OSU will find out more about potential penalties. If a bowl ban is in the cards there's no way I see Urban Meyer taking the job.

From what I've read, everything is on hold until a Nov 26 conference call with the NCAA, when OSU will find out more about potential penalties. If a bowl ban is in the cards there's no way I see Urban Meyer taking the job.

depending on how long the ban is id agree, but if were only talking about 1 yr meaning next year, i think he takes it

FWIW:

"@ClayTravisBGID: Been told by multiple people that plan is for tOSU to announce Urban Meyer as new coach at Duke basketball game 11/29."

Go Gophers!!

Yeah, it does seem odd that Meyer would consider taking another position just a year after leaving Florida. That seems odd - it makes you wonder if health was really the reason that he left.

But still, you would think that Meyer would have a ton of goodwill there after bringing Florida its 2nd and 3rd NC ever in just 6 years there. I mean, 2 NCs in 6 years, 5-1 in bowls. The guy's last year was mediocre (8-5, 4-4) but in 2009 they were 13-1 and finished #3 in the polls. But even after that record, you have guys like this columnist saying:
Unfortunately for Muschamp, he is the one who has to deal with the Urban decay that Meyer left behind. He is the one who had to talk about what a "big win" it was for Florida to beat Furman. He is the one whose depth-depleted roster is 70 percent freshmen and sophomores.
The explanation Meyer gave for leaving UF was because of family and health issues. If he takes the Ohio State job now, those reasons will seem like empty excuses. And Gators fans will have a right to believe Captain Meyer bailed from a sinking ship and left Muschamp to scoop out the waves of incoming water, patch the massive leaks and steer the listing Gators gondola to safety.

Seriously, you really think he left Florida because he thought he had a mediocre batch of talent coming through? I could think of about 10 other reasons that would be more plausible. If he takes a new job it will look mighty suspicious, but I wouldn't suspect that the talent level at Florida had much to do with it.

Then ESPN.com and ESPN Television are giving conflicting reports. Urban was asked point blank during the Football game, and he denied talking to them, or they to him. But that is a natural denial right now.

Right, he hasn't talked with Ohio State, but his agent has.

I did a little research nothing is settled yet. OSU and Meyer have talked and there's mutual interest but nothing is firm. The biggest change seems to be that OSU has decided to try and hire Meyer. There has been some ball park discussion of figures but nothing firm. I suspect that once they start to firm up numbers, there will be a formal offer and then, Mr Meyer will have to make a decision.

Supposedly now official. Welcome to the big 10 urban Meyer.

Things have slowed down because of a rift between Meyer and AD Smith. Meyer had originally wanted Smith gone so it'll be interesting.

Top Bottom