Urban Meyer stepping down at Florida??

I had to take a double take when I read the headline.

I'm no conspiracy theorist, but this whole situation just smells like a big recruiting/academic scandal down there. Health reasons? I'm betting he got caught cheating and is now resigning before the scandal comes to light.... I have no info, that's just what I'm guessing. If it truly is a health issue, I wish coach urban nothing but the best.

Don't know if it's related or not, but a recent SI article on Meyer said that he has a cyst on his brain (not life threatening) that causes excruciating headaches sometimes when he is under stress or has anxiety. Tough condition for a D1 football coach. Hope for the best for a young man at the pinacle of his profession.

First of all, I hope he's ok, he's a helluva coach. Secondly, it can't hurt our chances to keep Seantrel in town. Lastly, how long will it take for Bob Stoops to book a flight to Gainesville?

Not to be that guy, but I wonder what our fine state's most sought after recruit thinks about this?

I think is kinda odd. 45 year old coaches with 2 NC rings and a relavitively new Heismen Trophey don't just resign because of health reasons, they take a short leave of absence and comeback reenergized then they continue to bust @$$ until they are 70. I remember before the SEC Championship Game Meyer talked about "handing over the wistle to Tebow." You would think if this isn't completely unexpected Strong would have waited then taken over the reins. There is something else coming down the pipeline for the Gators either a NCAA issue or this is quite serious for Meyer.

Assuming Meyer comes out of this ok on the other side, which I hope, do you think every AD in the nation with the cash to do it will be beating down a path to Meyer's door in a few years.

I'm no conspiracy theorist, but this whole situation just smells like a big recruiting/academic scandal down there. Health reasons? I'm betting he got caught cheating and is now resigning before the scandal comes to light.... I have no info, that's just what I'm guessing. If it truly is a health issue, I wish coach urban nothing but the best.

So they faked the doctor visits? Come on:rolleyes:. If your "theory" actually was true, he'd look like a complete joke faking this "illness" when this so-called cheating came to light.

Jerk off statement by someone who is no conspiracy theorist. Rotten comment.

Heart problems in his family. They reported tonight that someone (grandfather, uncle, dad?) died early with heart problems. If so, this is a solid family move out of one of the most high tension jobs in the world. Wonder if Dungy could be a candidate...keeps him close to family.

how long until Jeremy Foley calls Maturi for permssion to talk to Brewster. Cheap buyout and he recruits Florida well, may even be able to bring Seantrell with him.

I think is kinda odd. 45 year old coaches with 2 NC rings and a relavitively new Heismen Trophey don't just resign because of health reasons, they take a short leave of absence and comeback reenergized then they continue to bust @$$ until they are 70. I remember before the SEC Championship Game Meyer talked about "handing over the wistle to Tebow." You would think if this isn't completely unexpected Strong would have waited then taken over the reins. There is something else coming down the pipeline for the Gators either a NCAA issue or this is quite serious for Meyer.

Assuming Meyer comes out of this ok on the other side, which I hope, do you think every AD in the nation with the cash to do it will be beating down a path to Meyer's door in a few years.
Maybe Meyer doesn't want to be another Randy Walker. I believe Walker was 47 when he dropped dead of a heart attack.

This is shocking. I hope he gets better soon.

How is Charlie Strong feeling right now? After all the years as being a head coach candidate, then getting the Louisville job, and now Meyer steps down. Had he not gone to Louisville, I assume he would be a top candidate to take over at for Meyer.

First of all, I hope he's ok, he's a helluva coach. Secondly, it can't hurt our chances to keep Seantrel in town. Lastly, how long will it take for Bob Stoops to book a flight to Gainesville?

We have ZEROOOOOOOOOO! percent chance to keep Seantrel here to play for the gophers. IF ANYTHING, it just made his decision easier to go to USC because he can now rule Florida out.

We have ZEROOOOOOOOOO! percent chance to keep Seantrel here to play for the gophers. IF ANYTHING, it just made his decision easier to go to USC because he can now rule Florida out.

Gotta agree. I would love for SH to come here but I think there's about a .000001% chance it happens.

Word is that Brew is at the top of the list of replacements. Even if Meyer is now only taking a leave of absence. The Gator Nation will never be the same!!

wow...only 5 posters in here making the same lame Brewster joke.....:rolleyes:

If it were anybody but Urban Meyer, I'd probably say I smell Daniel Snyder here, looking to land another Florida "ballcoach"...but I guess we have to take him at his word for now.

Didn't the basketball coach (Billy Gillespie) state he was leaving and then change his mind? Why would successful UF coaches be so eager to leave and then quickly/embarrassingly change their minds? Something is strange here. Billy Donovan not Gillespie

Top Bottom