Urban Meyer: NCAA should outlaw satellite camps, but we're looking at doing one

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CoachingSearch:

Another coach has come out against satellite camps, but this one is from the Big Ten, and he may still take advantage of them.

Urban Meyer said at his Monday press conference that Ohio State is looking at potentially doing a satellite camp, following in the recent footsteps of conference-mates Penn State and Michigan.

NCAA rules don’t allow coaches to run camps more than 50 miles away from campus, but they are allowed to work at them. It allows coaches to get hands-on with prospects they may not otherwise. However, the SEC and ACC have conference rules that don’t allow any satellite camp work for coaches. The Big Ten doesn’t have that rule, and teams are taking advantage.

“We’re thinking of doing one, but I can’t tell you if it’s been finalized,” Meyer said. “Am I a fan of that? Not really. A big allure to Ohio State is getting them here on campus. What happens is monkey see, monkey do. ‘They did this, so let’s go do it.’

“There’s easy ways to evaluate how your camp went. ‘Well, it went good.’ Did you get anybody out of the camp? No. Did people visit? I don’t know that. That’s something, if we do it, we’re not going to do it because some other schools are trying it.”

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a...satellite-camps-but-were-looking-at-doing-one

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom