Urban Meyer finally fired by Jacksonville

I don't even want to know, how much money did he take the Jaguars for?

Well he did improve their victory total by 100% this season compared to 2020.

Job done.

13 games seems to be the magic # if you're a truly awful coach. Same # as Bobby Petrino and a couple others. I guess Les Stekel outlasted them.

There will be ~6 open jobs in the NFL. Jacksonville, Raiders, Giants, Bears, Vikings and possibly Pittsburgh. The Vikings and Pittsburgh are easily the most desirable, but I'd give the edge the Vikings. (And I'd take Tomlin in a heartbeat.)

What a disaster. Between this and his hasty exist from OSU, he has done a great job of destroying his image the last few years. (Maybe it was destroyed before, I only saw him when he was on the sidelines beating us).

I have zero love for Meyer but this was kind of an inside hatchet job to get him out early and with the remote possibility for firing him for cause. The timing is just plain ridiculous, for something that happened in training camp?

Happened to catch LaVarr Arrington and Brady Quinn on 2 Pros and a Cup of Joe (which after recently stumbling on it is a great podcast), and I think they nailed it. This kicker, who they dumped after he had made a whopping 5 of his 10 total kicks on the year (0-for-3 FG and 5-for-7 XP), and who got dumped a few weeks later, is milking this for what he can get.

If anyone thinks this kicker is speaking for the locker room and leading the players out from bondage to freedom away from Meyer, you're delusional. He got called a name and a push with the foot? Good grief...

Meyer is an arrogant tool and not a fit for the NFL in any way, shape or form. He was going to get canned in short order. But this story about the kicker is the literally dumbest thing I've ever heard. Up to this point, Meyer hadn't done anything considered a fireable offense (at least not for cause). Who knows, maybe Shad Kahn give him a pile of money to come forward now. Kahn knew about this in August and did nothing so the timing would make this hard for him to terminate Meyer for cause now?

Meyer has been employed in 3 different professions in the last several years; college HC, NFL HC and college FB TV personality and was essentially elite at 2 of those 3. He'll be working in 6-12 months if he wants, it just depends if he wants to go to college or back to TV.

I have zero love for Meyer but this was kind of an inside hatchet job to get him out early and with the remote possibility for firing him for cause. The timing is just plain ridiculous, for something that happened in training camp?

Happened to catch LaVarr Arrington and Brady Quinn on 2 Pros and a Cup of Joe (which after recently stumbling on it is a great podcast), and I think they nailed it. This kicker, who they dumped after he had made a whopping 5 of his 10 total kicks on the year (0-for-3 FG and 5-for-7 XP), and who got dumped a few weeks later, is milking this for what he can get.

If anyone thinks this kicker is speaking for the locker room and leading the players out from bondage to freedom away from Meyer, you're delusional. He got called a name and a push with the foot? Good grief...

Meyer is an arrogant tool and not a fit for the NFL in any way, shape or form. He was going to get canned in short order. But this story about the kicker is the literally dumbest thing I've ever heard. Up to this point, Meyer hadn't done anything considered a fireable offense (at least not for cause). Who knows, maybe Shad Kahn give him a pile of money to come forward now. Kahn knew about this in August and did nothing so the timing would make this hard for him to terminate Meyer for cause now?

Meyer has been employed in 3 different professions in the last several years; college HC, NFL HC and college FB TV personality and was essentially elite at 2 of those 3. He'll be working in 6-12 months if he wants, it just depends if he wants to go to college or back to TV.

Feels like it will be a while before a college touches him. I guess I could see a school like Nebraska trying to make a play for him.

Urban wanted out. I’ll assume he has something cooking.
What? There were a record # of top end college jobs open and he didn't jump for any of them. What else could he have cooking except to go back to TV, which is dubious IMO.

Feels like it will be a while before a college touches him. I guess I could see a school like Nebraska trying to make a play for him.
I think they'd hire Satan if he'd win 10 games at this point.

I think just about any G5 school would jump at the chance to hire him and probably a bunch of P5 schools. Where has he ever failed in CFB? The list of great coaches that have been fired at the NFL level is a very very long one. It's not exactly the most egregious thing a coach can have on his resume.

He poked fun at a kicker and called him a dipshit, partied with some women at a bar after a loss. Not exactly catastrophic offenses, and honestly, not exactly fireable offenses either.

He was a terrible fit to be a coach in the NFL. A lot of people figured he would be. The list of people that applies to is also a very very long one, and includes Saban among others. The NFL protects their own, and hates, Hates, HATES it when a college coach comes into the NFL and attempts to be successful. The deck is always stacked against CFB coaches that try to make the NFL, by the NFL media and the league for that matter.

People will forget about this pretty quick. And at the end of the day, talent, especially elite talent, trumps all other sins....

I think just about any G5 school would jump at the chance to hire him and probably a bunch of P5 schools. Where has he ever failed in CFB? The list of great coaches that have been fired at the NFL level is a very very long one. It's not exactly the most egregious thing a coach can have on his resume.

He poked fun at a kicker and called him a dipshit, partied with some women at a bar after a loss. Not exactly catastrophic offenses, and honestly, not exactly fireable offenses either.

He was a terrible fit to be a coach in the NFL. A lot of people figured he would be. The list of people that applies to is also a very very long one, and includes Saban among others. The NFL protects their own, and hates, Hates, HATES it when a college coach comes into the NFL and attempts to be successful. The deck is always stacked against CFB coaches that try to make the NFL, by the NFL media and the league for that matter.

People will forget about this pretty quick. And at the end of the day, talent, especially elite talent, trumps all other sins....
I think it goes way beyond the 2 incidents you listed.

Much more attention to all the arrests in Florida including harboring a future murderer, his Ohio St assistant's domestic abuse situation (which is why USC wanted no part of Meyer last year) and hiring the Iowa strength coach accused of racist statements. Also damaging was confrontations and belittling of his coaching staff at Jacksonville, what kind of crew could he build at a new school?

Only takes 1 school to make a move though if Meyer can rehab his image. In the current day and age though the colleges are becoming more and more like the pros (as far as mobility), not sure his iron fisted style can win at the levels it has in the past.

He's left 2 pretty good situations due to health concerns, doubt those of changed, though ego and dough could persuade him to take another run at it.

What? There were a record # of top end college jobs open and he didn't jump for any of them. What else could he have cooking except to go back to TV, which is dubious IMO.
I think he wanted out towards the middle of the year but he wanted to get paid.

His contract length still owes him ~$55 million. They'll come to a settlement and he'll walk away with a $15-$35 million check. There will be good jobs available next year (Nebraska, Florida State, UCLA, I'm sure some unknowns now).

I think it goes way beyond the 2 incidents you listed.

Much more attention to all the arrests in Florida including harboring a future murderer, his Ohio St assistant's domestic abuse situation (which is why USC wanted no part of Meyer last year) and hiring the Iowa strength coach accused of racist statements. Also damaging was confrontations and belittling of his coaching staff at Jacksonville, what kind of crew could he build at a new school?

Only takes 1 school to make a move though if Meyer can rehab his image. In the current day and age though the colleges are becoming more and more like the pros (as far as mobility), not sure his iron fisted style can win at the levels it has in the past.

He's left 2 pretty good situations due to health concerns, doubt those of changed, though ego and dough could persuade him to take another run at it.
This was all known prior to the Jacksonville run and Texas would have given him an enormous check last year. The Hernandez stuff is 10 years old. No one cares about the Iowa strength coach or the belittling of staff.

I'm not saying they're right not to care, I'm just saying that I don't think it would stop someone with his resume from getting a job.

This was all known prior to the Jacksonville run and Texas would have given him an enormous check last year. The Hernandez stuff is 10 years old. No one cares about the Iowa strength coach or the belittling of staff.

I'm not saying they're right not to care, I'm just saying that I don't think it would stop someone with his resume from getting a job.
Tim Tebow believes in him...:sneaky:

Day to the Bears, Urban goes back to Columbus where he can play God again

Top Bottom