Upsetting Wisconsin - A History

IceBoxGopher

Reaction score
The Minnesota Golden Gophers will have the opportunity to upset the No. 18 Wisconsin Badgers. If they do, it will be the third time unranked Gophers have upset the Badgers in the AP Poll era.

Other times an unranked Minnesota team has beaten a Top 25 Wisconsin squad include:
  • 1938 - Minnesota defeated No. 12 Wisconsin, 21-0.
  • 1993 - Minnesota defeated No. 15 Wisconsin, 28-21.
When both teams have been ranked, meanwhile, Minnesota hasn't been able to come away with a victory.
  • 1942 - No. 7 Wisconsin defeated No. 10 Minnesota, 20-6.
  • 1954 - No. 17 Wisconsin defeated No. 10 Minnesota, 27-0.
  • 1962 - No. 3 Wisconsin defeated No. 5 Minnesota, 14-9.
  • 1999 - No. 20 Wisconsin defeated No. 25 Minnesota, 20-17(OT).
  • 2005 - No. 23 Wisconsin defeated No. 22 Minnesota, 38-34.
  • 2014 - No. 14 Wisconsin defeated No. 22 Minnesota, 34-24.
  • 2019 - No. 12 Wisconsin defeated No. 8 Minnesota, 38-17.

That '38 win. Do you know if that was the final game of the year?

That '38 win. Do you know if that was the final game of the year?
Yes. Sealed the U's 5th Big Ten title in 6 years.

The run from '34-'36 was particularly sweet...while the Gophers won a still-unmatched 3 nattys in a row, wisconsin went 7-17 and lost the 3 Bacon games by a total of 91-7

Yes it was.
I still remember it as a “what could have been” game. Most baffling in-game decision I’ve seen by a team I care about.
First College Game Day in Minneapolis (still a cool experience), we hadn't been whooped by anyone all year, West on the line, we scored quickly, and then...

Losing is whatever at this point. But getting pretty much dominated was just frustrating.

That 2019 game was stupid.

Even worse was the 2005 game. Gophers came in 5-1 after beating MI. Gophers had a 27-17 lead going into the 4th. They were still leading 34-31 when they punted from their End Zone. Punter fumbled, picked it up and tried to kick it again. Badgers blocked the kick, recovered in the End Zone and won the game 38-34.

Mason was asked after the game if he told the punter what to do if there was a bad snap or he dropped the ball. Did he tell the punter to just fall on it, give up the safety so they could keep the lead and free kick it out of there?

Mason said he didn't think about telling the punter anything.:oops:

Last edited:

Even worse was the 2005 game. Gophers came in 5-1 after beating MI. Gophers had a 27-17 lead going into the 4th. They were still leading 34-31 when they punted from their End Zone. Punter fumbled, picked it up and tried to kick it again. Badgers blocked the kick, recovered in the End Zone and won the game 38-34.

Mason was asked after the game if he told the punter what to do if there was a bad snap or he dropped the ball. Did he tell the punter to just fall on it, give up the safety so they could keep the lead and free kick it out of there?

Mason said he didn't think about telling the punter anything.

Typical Glen stories. That 2005 loss was one of the more brutal in my lifetime - especially because of how much I hate Sconny.

Top Bottom