UPDATED: Gophers to host Fla State in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge on Dec. 3

Here's why I am for this match up.

1. It's at home against an "equal" match up.

2. Since schedule isn't released, this may not be truth, but it will be a good non conference test to see how our press will work on teams who have good players.

3. If Wiggins lands there, you can bet we will get a lot of attention on this game. If we win, great for recruiting.

We can still play some ranked teams if we get into a tournament.

Ummm we are already slated for the Maui Invite. Have been for a couple of years now.

Florida State will be coming in off a Nov. 29 game @ Florida.

Coming off the Maui Invitational (Nov. 25-27), I'd guess the Gophers won't schedule a game the weekend (Nov. 29-30, Dec. 1) before the Seminoles arrive.

I know they'll never give us Duke or UNC but is it too much to ask to play an NC State or Maryland? Honestly, this is year 15 (I think) and we'll have played FSU and UVa 9 times. What's the point?

This is horsesh!t.

We should start playing for a rivalry trophies with FSU and Virginia.

I think the team that should be most upset is UNC. They get two straight road games, so Duke can get two straight home games? I wouldn't be happy if I were a UNC fan.

OSU probably deserved a more marquee matchup than Maryland, but when the ACC only has 2-3 marquee teams and the B1G has 4-5, that's what happens. I don't think ND is much more of a prize than FSU, not if FSU gets Wiggins.

I feel comfortable surmising that if OSU wasn't playing Notre Dame in the Gotham Classic, the Buckeyes would have drawn the Irish and Maryland (among ACC road teams) would have slid down a spot to Iowa.

The Buckeyes definitely deserved a better matchup, but the way the home/roads were doled out they were a bit hamstrung by their regular-season matchup with Notre Dame.

I think the team that should be most upset is UNC. They get two straight road games, so Duke can get two straight home games? I wouldn't be happy if I were a UNC fan.

OSU probably deserved a more marquee matchup than Maryland, but when the ACC only has 2-3 marquee teams and the B1G has 4-5, that's what happens. I don't think ND is much more of a prize than FSU, not if FSU gets Wiggins.

It evens out over time.
In the history of the Challenge, Duke has played 5 home games, 5 road games, and 4 neutral site games
In the history of the Challenge UNC has played 6 home games, 6 road games, and 2 neutral site games

Duke has played back-to-back games on the road before as well. Heck, in 2014 and 2015 they might play on the road while UNC gets the advantage. There's should be no whining or anybody pissed on UNC's side. Up until this year, it's been even throughout the 14 previous Challenges.

Here's the history of Minnesota playing in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge:

Record
Overall: 6-8
Home: 4-3
Away: 2-5

Opponents Played
Clemson (2006)
Florida State (2000, 2004, 2007, 2012, 2013)
Georgia Tech (2002)
Maryland (2005)
Miami (2009)
Virginia (1999, 2003, 2008, 2010)
Virginia Tech (2011)
Wake Forest (2001)

If we finish in the top half of the conference, you can bet we get a better game.

Gut feeling if we have a good year next year.

2014: Minnesota at Louisville

Here are the official matchups:

Tuesday, December 3rd
Florida State at Minnesota
Illinois at Georgia Tech
Indiana at Syracuse
Michigan at Duke
Notre Dame at Iowa
Penn State at Pittsburgh

Wednesday, December 4th
Boston College at Purdue
Maryland at Ohio State
Miami, FL at Nebraska
North Carolina at Michigan State
Northwestern at North Carolina State
Wisconsin at Virginia

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/84373/b1gacc-challenge-matchups-announced

Go Gophers!!

I forsee the 'Noles/Gophers matchup being relegated to ESPNU when the TV listings are announced. If Wiggins goes to FSU, the game may jump the Illinois/Ga Tech game to ESPN2,

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

When the schedule came out and showed us hosting FSU my first thought was "blah, another crappy ACC challenge game for us." But if FSU gets Wiggins, the #1 recruit in the nation, that would be pretty cool. FSU probably would be ranked, there would be a lot of attention paid to them, esp early in the year, and all of a sudden this becomes maybe the marquee home non-conf game on our schedule.

P.S. I wasn't aware that both Wiggins' parents went to FSU. I had always assumed he'd go to Kentucky or NC or Kansas or something, but it sounds like FSU has a great shot. Hope they get him - I hate seeing the top recruits go to the same damn schools all the time.

FSU

When the schedule came out and showed us hosting FSU my first thought was "blah, another crappy ACC challenge game for us." But if FSU gets Wiggins, the #1 recruit in the nation, that would be pretty cool. FSU probably would be ranked, there would be a lot of attention paid to them, esp early in the year, and all of a sudden this becomes maybe the marquee home non-conf game on our schedule.

P.S. I wasn't aware that both Wiggins' parents went to FSU. I had always assumed he'd go to Kentucky or NC or Kansas or something, but it sounds like FSU has a great shot. Hope they get him - I hate seeing the top recruits go to the same damn schools all the time.

I think most of the disappointment is "been there, done that".

Top Bottom