Updated BTT Bracket (halfway point for Gophers)

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
It's safe to say the Gophers need a February to remember. Raise your hand if in your heart of hearts you really think the Gophers look like a team capable of making a run at a NCAA bid, let alone earning the #5 seed (and a bye) for the Big Ten Tournament.

All times are CST.

Thursday, March 11 (First Round)
1:30 p.m. -- #8 Indiana (3-5) vs. #9 Northwestern (3-6)
3:55 p.m. -- #7 GOPHERS (4-5) vs. #10 Iowa (2-7)
6:30 p.m. -- #6 Michigan (4-5) vs. #11 Penn State (0-9)

Friday, March 12 (Quarterfinals)
11 a.m. -- #1 Michigan State (9-0) vs. Indiana/Northwestern winner
1:25 p.m. -- #4 Purdue (6-3) vs. #5 Illinois (6-3)
5:30 p.m. -- #2 Ohio State (6-3) vs. GOPHERS/Iowa winner
7:55 p.m. -- #3 Wisconsin (6-3) vs. Michigan/Penn State winner

I definitely still think they could grab the #5. Illinois isn't that great, and Michigan sure isn't going to get it.

That's what scares me. As unimpressive and inconsistent as Illinois has been, I'm still skeptical we can catch the Illini, even though their schedule is positively brutal the second half of the Big 10 season.

Northwestern is just the opposite. I'm more impressed with them than either the Gophers or Illinois. The question is, can the Wildcats take advantage of their soft Big 10 schedule the rest of the way? They have a chance for a really good second half (Indiana, Iowa & Penn State twice, as well as Michigan and the Gophers at home). I really think if Northwestern gets to 9-9 (maybe 10-8), they'll be in decent shape for a bid heading to Indy.

Yeah I think we can get it done. We have a much more favorable schedule to finish the year in big ten play.

I still see them finding a way to get to 10-8. That may or may not be good enough for the 5 seed? And are they better off as the #6? Get one easy win to pad the the resume and then take on perhaps Wiscy in the quarters? That may be easier then a 4-5 draw with OSU or Purdue?

"Get one easy win to pad the the resume and then take on perhaps Wiscy in the quarters?"

For a team on the bubble, nothing good can come out of playing Thursday if the opponent is Indiana, Iowa or Penn State. A win vs. any of those 3 would do nothing for the Gophers' resume. They'd simply be playing to avoid the bad loss. I'd rather get the #5 seed and open with a quality opponent right away.

"Get one easy win to pad the the resume and then take on perhaps Wiscy in the quarters?"

For a team on the bubble, nothing good can come out of playing Thursday if the opponent is Indiana, Iowa or Penn State. A win vs. any of those 3 would do nothing for the Gophers' resume. They'd simply be playing to avoid the bad loss. I'd rather get the #5 seed and open with a quality opponent right away.

Probably so, but not always. While I don't buy FOT's obsession over getting to a certain win total, it can't hurt. As long as the second round 6/3 match-up isn't really any tougher then the 4/5, and might actually be a easier, I see no real harm in it. 21 wins still looks better then 20. Obviously losing on Thursday would be terrible, but if so, the whole thing was pointless anyway.

Top Bottom