Updated Big Ten/ACC Challenge Projection

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Georgia Tech and Pitt appear to be the most likely candidates to play the Gophers in the ACC Challenge. I'm leaning toward Gophers making a trip to the ATL. The Yellow Jackets (NCAA squad last season) would be a best-case scenario as an opponent for a Gopher squad likely to be picked to finish 13th or last in the Big Ten.

Last edited:

Have we ever drawn NC State in the Challenge? Seems like a lot of draws with Ga Tech over the years, and for awile it was always Clemson or Florida State.

Have we ever drawn NC State in the Challenge? Seems like a lot of draws with Ga Tech over the years, and for awile it was always Clemson or Florida State.
Actually the Minnesota has only played Ga Tech once, back in 2002. Great game at the Barn, Gophers edged the Bosh led Yellow Jackets.

I seem to remember Michael Bauer putting in a go-ahead basket right at the end

I seem to remember Michael Bauer putting in a go-ahead basket right at the end
That was the Georgia Bulldogs, same season though.

The Yellow Jacket game (if I remember correctly), they had a chance to tie/win at the buzzer but the Gophers held on.

They've played GT a total of 3 times in my lifetime, with a 2-1 record. That one loss is a doozy though.
Lynch's shot almost went in. We would have almost certainly gotten smoked by UNLV in the Final Four, but it still would have been fun.

They've played GT a total of 3 times in my lifetime, with a 2-1 record. That one loss is a doozy though.

Correct, I should have clarified that Minnesota/Georgia Tech have only met in the Big 10/ACC Challenge once.

Maybe one of the worst officiated games of all time. A bit of homerism as I recall. Willie in foul trouble was the difference in the game.

Some Gophers ACC Challenge history:

This had me curious about other teams' records. Generally, the organizers have done a pretty good job of matching teams up, because most B1G teams are close to, or a bit below .500. PSU & PU are the only teams above .500 (both 11-9).

Interestingly, Maryland is by far the worst B1G team at 1-6. But, they were 10-5 as an ACC team, so, they're still overall .500 in the challenge...

Here's the press release from the U of MN:

Minnesota Set to Travel to Pitt for Big Ten/ACC Men's Basketball Challenge

MINNEAPOLIS -- The University of Minnesota men's basketball team will face Pittsburgh in the 2021 Big Ten/ACC Men's Basketball Challenge, as the two conferences along with ESPN unveiled the event matchups Monday.

The Golden Gophers and Panthers will meet on Tuesday, Nov. 30 in Pittsburgh, with game time and television broadcast information to be announced at a later date. The 2021 campaign marks the 23rd year of the Challenge, which started in 1999. ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU will combine to televise all 14 games and will also be streamed via the ESPN app.

This will be the first Big Ten/ACC meeting between the two teams and just the fourth contest in program history. The Golden Gophers last faced Pitt on Dec. 16, 1950 at home (W, 72-43), with the other two meetings coming in 1932 and 1933.

Minnesota is 11-11 all-time in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge. The Golden Gophers erased a 15-point deficit to win last year's game, in an 85-80 overtime victory against Boston College, Dec. 8, at Williams Arena. The Gophers won 78-60 over Clemson, also at the Barn, in 2019.

Pitt went 10-12 overall last season and 6-10 in league action. The Panthers faced Northwestern in last year's ACC/Big Ten Challenge and won, 71-70 in Evanston, Ill.

Not surprising, the Gophers/Pitt clash has been relegated to ESPNU.

-----

Monday, Nov. 29

Iowa at Virginia, 7 p.m., ESPN2
Notre Dame at Illinois, 9 p.m. ESPN2

Tuesday, Nov. 30

Florida State at Purdue, 7 p.m. or 7:30 p.m., ESPN or ESPN2
Indiana at Syracuse, 7 p.m. or 7:30 p.m., ESPN or ESPN2
Minnesota at Pittsburgh, 7 p.m., ESPNU
Clemson at Rutgers, 9 p.m., ESPN2
Northwestern at Wake Forest, 9 p.m., ESPNU
Duke at Ohio State, 9:30 p.m., ESPN

Wednesday, Dec. 1