Updated AP Top 25 rankings - Nebraska #23

99Gopher

Reaction score
Well, the new Top 25 poll is out and NEB is #23. So, I watched much of the game last night and that is the best the NEB Def has looked in 10 yrs. However, lets consider they beat UTEP and a Colorado squad that will likely win 4 games as both their lines are horrid. Also, remember that NDSU scored 26 and NEB managed 28. At the same time, we know that common sense has little to do with it when they start trying to hype NEB. Thoughts??

Side Note: How is Wisky even getting votes?

First-place votes in parentheses
  1. Georgia (54)
  2. Texas (4)
  3. Ohio State (5)
  4. Alabama
  5. Ole Miss
  6. Missouri
  7. Tennessee
  8. Penn State
  9. Oregon
  10. Miami
  11. USC
  12. Utah
  13. Oklahoma State
  14. Kansas State
  15. Oklahoma
  16. LSU
  17. Michigan
  18. Notre Dame
  19. Louisville
  20. Arizona
  21. Iowa State
  22. Clemson
  23. Nebraska
  24. Boston College
  25. Northern Illinois
Receiving Votes: Illinois 101, Boise St. 77, Texas A&M 68, Syracuse 63, Memphis 38, Washington 27, Iowa 24, Kansas 22, Vanderbilt 18, South Carolina 10, Liberty 9, Wisconsin 9, UNLV 7, North Carolina 7, California 3, BYU 2, UCF 1, TCU 1

I'd love to see a round robin of the top 3 or 4.

Nebraska has a favorable schedule. They will likely lose to Illinois and possibly Rutgers before getting completely destroyed by tOSU, followed by 1-3 the rest of the way. 6-6 my bet

Alabama at Wisconsin next week. I strongly dislike both teams.
If you look at the Bama score last night the final score is very deceptive. I watched a chunk of the 2nd half and early in the 4th Qtr it was 14-13 and Bama had 42 yds rushing. Then all of a sudden they blew up and scored 2 TDs in 5 min. For a large chunk of that game they were very avg, but if you just woke up and looked at the box score you just saw a comfortable win. If they look like that against Georgia or Texas they will get crushed. Long-winded way to say, they are very overrated at #4 and living on Saban's reputation.

Last edited:

Well, the new Top 25 poll is out and NEB is #23. So, I watched much of the game last night and that is the best the NEB Def has looked in 10 yrs. However, lets consider they beat UTEP and a Colorado squad that will likely win 4 games as both their lines are horrid. Also, remember that NDSU scored 26 and NEB managed 28. At the same time, we know that common sense has little to do with it when they start trying to hype NEB. Thoughts??

Side Note: How is Wisky even getting votes?

First-place votes in parentheses
  1. Georgia (54)
  2. Texas (4)
  3. Ohio State (5)
  4. Alabama
  5. Ole Miss
  6. Missouri
  7. Tennessee
  8. Penn State
  9. Oregon
  10. Miami
  11. USC
  12. Utah
  13. Oklahoma State
  14. Kansas State
  15. Oklahoma
  16. LSU
  17. Michigan
  18. Notre Dame
  19. Louisville
  20. Arizona
  21. Iowa State
  22. Clemson
  23. Nebraska
  24. Boston College
  25. Northern Illinois
Receiving Votes: Illinois 101, Boise St. 77, Texas A&M 68, Syracuse 63, Memphis 38, Washington 27, Iowa 24, Kansas 22, Vanderbilt 18, South Carolina 10, Liberty 9, Wisconsin 9, UNLV 7, North Carolina 7, California 3, BYU 2, UCF 1, TCU 1
Colorado is horrendous and Nebraska at #23 is more emotional than logical.

As my Penn State buddy in New Ulm texted me Saturday night...

"Now the Nebraska hype will be unbearable. Until it isn't. **See Notre Dame." [Exact text]

P.S. During my time at the Gopher game he texted me, "Michigan and Penn State getting destroyed." He's very realistic with his Nittany Lions...I sometimes have more confidence in PSU than he does.

Zipper on mouth, not going to lament the Gophers loss against North Carolina they had won.

Nebraska???

Nebraska has played NO ONE as of yet.... UTEP (yawn)... and Colorado is a dumpster fire.

You know, I fall into this trap as often as others do, but we really should have learned by now that early season polls are laughable. There are only a small handful of teams that are consistently elite, year after year. The rest of the early season top 25 could just as well be selected by drawing names out of a hat.

Preseason/early season rankings are just so worthless. In regards to Nebraska....probably won't really have any idea if they are actually good until they play Illinois on the 20th. Colorado win is impressive only to those who have not been paying attention to the dumpster fire that Colorado is.

Illinois voted at a very solid 26th. Apparently, like a few years back, the Illini (so far) have had a dominant secondary. I too am looking forward to Nebraska vs Illinois.

Preseason/early season rankings are just so worthless. In regards to Nebraska....probably won't really have any idea if they are actually good until they play Illinois on the 20th. Colorado win is impressive only to those who have not been paying attention to the dumpster fire that Colorado is.
I was waiting for Colorado to openly start fighting each other on the sideline last night. Oddly, it does not seem outside the realm of possibilities at all at some point this season.

Nebraska has a favorable schedule. They will likely lose to Illinois and possibly Rutgers before getting completely destroyed by tOSU, followed by 1-3 the rest of the way. 6-6 my bet
I don’t think so. They beat IL and Rutgers. I wouldn’t be surprised by 8 or 9 wins. Matt Rhule is a hell of a college football coach.

I was waiting for Colorado to openly start fighting each other on the sideline last night. Oddly, it does not seem outside the realm of possibilities at all at some point this season.
If this year goes sour like last year did that team will implode in epic fashion as guys like Shadeur and Hunter check out and start focusing on the Pros.

I don’t think so. They beat IL and Rutgers. I wouldn’t be surprised by 8 or 9 wins. Matt Rhule is a hell of a college football coach.
You think Nebraska is better than Kansas? I'm not sure about that.

Ya, it should be difficult for Nebraska to lose a home game. Their 87,000 fans were totally engaged. The defense is good, the QB will likely keep improving. They are hungry, no doubt!
8 or 9 wins seems very doable. Ha, we'll see how this ages but it is what I see, too.

Illinois voted at a very solid 26th. Apparently, like a few years back, the Illini (so far) have had a dominant secondary. I too am looking forward to Nebraska vs Illinois.
Kansas gave that one away turning it over four times. They only punted twice all game but only managed 17 points.

North Carolina getting 7 votes.
North Carolina's win was better than Nebraska's was.

A road game against a team (Minnesota) that absolutely plowed Colorado twice recently and has had a better record than CU in every recent season.

UNC has a better track record in recent seasons, better recent recruiting ranks, and the best win so far among them. They should be higher than Nebraska.

But one is being dinged because their QB plays for the Patriots and other is getting the assumption their true frosh will be good against better D.

Sometimes I think these teams pay the AP voters for a high ranking and to keep the hype. Nebraska has no recent success and coming off many losing seasons yet continue to get votes. How? Make it make sense

Top Bottom