UPDATED 6/21: Wally Ellenson qualifies for Junior World T&F Championships in Columbia

I imagine you were thinking 7'8 - 7'9, with just a simple typo. With that said, the Olympic gold medal in 2012 went to a 7'9.5 jump. As much as I would love to see Wally on the team for another 3 years, if it's a possibility that he can sniff the Olympics, I would not be hurt at all if he took a look at that path.

Yes, my bad on the typo. I don't know anything about high jumping so I can't say for sure if Wally has the potential to gain like the winners of this years NCAA, but if he does. I would hope he takes the opportunity to go for it. It is unlikely that he will see a final four in BB, but he is already an All American in track as FR and has a chance to be an NCAA Champion and Olympian.

A lot of people wanted Wally to redshirt. Would he have been able to redshirt for basketball while competing on the track team?

According to this article:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sp...re-redshirt-rules-for-two-sport-athletes.html

A student athlete may compete in one sport while holding a redshirt in another. I can't guarantee that this source is accurate, but it seems to be the case.

That is definitely the case. I am a runner and I still follow the cross-country and track teams very closely. It is routine that an athlete will redshirt various seasons and have different amounts of eligibility in different sports. For example, as a first-year student, you could red-shirt the fall cross-country season, but still compete in indoor track in the winter. During the athlete's second-year, assuming he/she competed in cross-country and indoor track, that athlete would be a red-shirt freshman in cross-country and a sophomore in indoor track. Sorry to bore you to tears, but the short of this is, yes you can red-shirt for different sports and maintain different amounts of eligibility.

Wally Ellenson to represent Team USA at World Track & Field Championships

Des Moines, IA (WQOW) -- Earlier in June, Rice Lake grad and current Minnesota Gopher Wally Ellenson earned All-American honors in the high jump. Friday, Ellenson earns an even bigger distinction.

Ellenson qualifies to represent Team USA in the Junior World Championships in Medellin, Columbia. He qualified second in the high jump at the U.S. Junior Championships in Des Moines on Friday, clearing just over seven feet. The Junior World Championships run from August 23-25.

http://www.wqow.com/story/22659385/...t-team-usa-at-world-track-field-championships

Go Gophers!!

Des Moines, IA (WQOW) -- Earlier in June, Rice Lake grad and current Minnesota Gopher Wally Ellenson earned All-American honors in the high jump. Friday, Ellenson earns an even bigger distinction.

Ellenson qualifies to represent Team USA in the Junior World Championships in Medellin, Columbia. He qualified second in the high jump at the U.S. Junior Championships in Des Moines on Friday, clearing just over seven feet. The Junior World Championships run from August 23-25.

http://www.wqow.com/story/22659385/...t-team-usa-at-world-track-field-championships

Go Gophers!!

That's awesome. :)

Congrats to Wally, as that is quite the honor there. Jump, Wally, jump!

Go Gophers!!

Wow the update in the header is completely misleading, he did not qualify for the World Championships. He qualified for the Pan Am Junior World Championships which is just the Western Hemisphere, I believe. Still an accomplishment, but not as big as the header leads you to believe.

Wow the update in the header is completely misleading, he did not qualify for the World Championships. He qualified for the Pan Am Junior World Championships which is just the Western Hemisphere, I believe. Still an accomplishment, but not as big as the header leads you to believe.
Yes not a big deal...he is one of two males that get to represent the United States of America in the high jump. I am assuming SJUgopher must be a world champion, it's not a big deal, but I am sure you are.

Just think how superb a high jumper Wally would be if he dedicated himself to it full time. I don't want to lose him as a ball player, but as a T&F fan too, I'd love to see what his ceiling would be in the event. I'd have to do my research but I feel like if you are a first team All-American as a freshman you could make a run of going pro at it if you keep improving all four years.

It'll suck if he ends up quitting basketball at some point, but if he has a shot at the Olympics you can't blame the guy. Hopefully he's able to play basketball 4 years and still have a chance at the Olympics.

Hope he makes it to the Rio. As for sucking that he quit hoops, it doesn't suck at all... best for both him and the team IMO.

Yes not a big deal...he is one of two males that get to represent the United States of America in the high jump. I am assuming SJUgopher must be a world champion, it's not a big deal, but I am sure you are.

Funny seeing mommy Ellenson's posts after you know it is her.

Top Bottom