Update on Mbwake

Quick question. If Maturi chooses not to let him play this season due to his ongoing legal actions could Mbwake redshirt this season and still maintain two years of elibility?

Thank you in advance.

I don't think he can redshirt for any reason other then medical, but I'm not sure.

Overall, I think this is the right move by Maturi. He's essentially just buying himself two more months to see what happens. I have to think if nothing changes between now and November, he'll let him play.

I don't think he can redshirt for any reason other then medical, but I'm not sure.

Overall, I think this is the right move by Maturi. He's essentially just buying himself two more months to see what happens. I have to think if nothing changes between now and November, he'll let him play.

He didn't redshirt (yet). He played at Marquette in 2007-08 as frosh and then at Miami-Dade in 2008-09 as JuCo. He has 2 years of eligibility left. He can still redshirt this season and play 2 more years.

Copout?

is Maturi copping out here? What more information will he have in two months than he has now that could help in his decision? All he is doing is holding off the inevitable criticism he will get no matter what decision he makes. Some say innocent until proven guilty, and others will say he got a pass for being an athlete. With no legal conclusions until after the season, Maturi is in a lose-lose situation here, and his no decision just delays the heat.

is Maturi copping out here? What more information will he have in two months than he has now that could help in his decision? All he is doing is holding off the inevitable criticism he will get no matter what decision he makes.

Lots of stuff could happen in the next three months. I'm guessing if the evidence is as flimsy as some suggest, that the prosecutor is looking for more info and evidence on the case, cops are probably still investigating to a certain degree, the defense attorneys are working hard to prove their client not guilty, lots of stuff is probably happening.

So, no, I don't think Maturi is copping out. I think he is taking a low risk wait and see. Who knows what can happen over three months? Why in the heck would Maturi at this point make any final decision - some three months before a trial is set to start and likely be delayed? Heck, the charges could get dropped for all we know in that time span. If that were to happen, wouldn't Maturi look foolish having suspended a guy in September only to see charges dropped in November?

I figure the only reason he even made a statement on it now was because Myron probably asked him about it today at Brewster's press conference.

Top Bottom