Update on former Gopher Troy Stoudermire

It's a Pig Man!

Reaction score
Just saw on Twitter that Stoudermire has re-signed with the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the CFL. Congrats Troy!

Good for him!

He almost threw quite a bit away when he was initially moved to defense. I'm glad he made good on his apology, earned his way back into the team's good graces and has been able to accomplish quite a bit. Good Job Troy.

...and won a Grey Cup in his rookie season.

Good to see this. He's just a really solid football player. Not the biggest. Not the fastest. But has great instincts.

Playing for the Roughriders in the CFL is the Packers in the NFL as far as their fan base, how the community rallies around the team, corporate backing, etc. Regina isn't, well, even Saskatoon, but the fans sure love their Green there.

Go Gophers!!

Playing for the Roughriders in the CFL is the Packers in the NFL as far as their fan base, how the community rallies around the team, corporate backing, etc. Regina isn't, well, even Saskatoon, but the fans sure love their Green there.

Go Gophers!!

I was on record as Stoudermire as a CFL player years ago. Good tackler, physical player and can return kicks. good luck to him- hopefully he gets cut and moves on to another less hateful team.

Bleed is right about fan support but they are also easily the most obnoxious fan base in the CFL. They are very similar to Wisconsin as they discount the empty stadium and near bankruptcy prior to 1990 and act like they have been super fans forever. Banjo-picking inbreds sums them up to a tee.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/thanks-again-troy-222781941.html

It's a historical quirk of this Banjo Bowl story that Westwood's original quip in which he uttered those now infamous three words -- "banjo-picking inbreds" -- didn't actually attract much attention initially. In the Free Press, for instance, it was a small item buried deep in the sports section the next day.

It was only later in that same 2003 season that the whole banjo thing took on a life of its own, when Westwood -- forever the troublemaker -- decided to try again in advance of a November playoff date with the Riders, this time summoning the media around his locker so he could issue a "statement."

"I had referred to the people of Saskatchewan as a bunch of banjo-picking inbreds," said Westwood as the media hovered. "I was wrong to make such a statement, and I'd like to apologize.

"The vast majority of the people in Saskatchewan have no idea how to play the banjo."

I was on record as Stoudermire as a CFL player years ago. Good tackler, physical player and can return kicks. good luck to him- hopefully he gets cut and moves on to another less hateful team.

Bleed is right about fan support but they are also easily the most obnoxious fan base in the CFL. They are very similar to Wisconsin as they discount the empty stadium and near bankruptcy prior to 1990 and act like they have been super fans forever. Banjo-picking inbreds sums them up to a tee.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/thanks-again-troy-222781941.html

It's a historical quirk of this Banjo Bowl story that Westwood's original quip in which he uttered those now infamous three words -- "banjo-picking inbreds" -- didn't actually attract much attention initially. In the Free Press, for instance, it was a small item buried deep in the sports section the next day.

It was only later in that same 2003 season that the whole banjo thing took on a life of its own, when Westwood -- forever the troublemaker -- decided to try again in advance of a November playoff date with the Riders, this time summoning the media around his locker so he could issue a "statement."

"I had referred to the people of Saskatchewan as a bunch of banjo-picking inbreds," said Westwood as the media hovered. "I was wrong to make such a statement, and I'd like to apologize.

"The vast majority of the people in Saskatchewan have no idea how to play the banjo."

I gotta start using that one. But I didn't know they had banjos in Canada.

I've never been to a CFL game - I haven't even been to Canada since I was a kid. I get as far north as Grand Forks, it really wouldn't be much more of a trip to go to Winnipeg.

Top Bottom