Update on East River Flats Tailgating

alltimetwinsfan

Grand Poobah
Reaction score
The Minneapolis Park Board has decided on their plans for how tailgating is going to work on the Flats this year.

The basics:
-Tailgating will be allowed
-Parking on the grass will NOT be allowed
-Parking in the surface lot is $10 per game (no change)
-Tailgate groups will have to purchase a pass ($20 in advance/$30 day of) to host a party...essentially, it's a picnic permit as a CYA for the ability to have alcohol on site

As someone who hosts a group on the Flats, the collateral damage for us is essentially the $140 season pass. However, for a group who may be looking to tailgate once or twice a season (and not planning on getting there early), I would guess those people will head for the fairgrounds in larger numbers since they can't guarantee they can park close enough to their cars to set up a tailgate. Our group will try it and see how things change, but it will be interesting to see what others think of this.

Here's the link to the site: https://www.minneapolisparks.org/rentals__permits/gopher-tailgating/

Tailgating allowed. WOOT!
No grass parking. BOO!!

Losers. Someone want to explain where we all park for first game when fair grounds and u of m lots are all state fair parking? River flats was a big piece of that puzzle. If the opener was Miami, Ohio maybe all good.

By looking at the satellite image, there are roughly 75 parking spots in the surface lot. Certainly way down compared to when they allowed on grass parking. If Mpls is good at anything, it’s dousing water on people trying to have a good time.

Last edited:

Well obviously you're supposed to park elsewhere and carry in all your tailgating stuff to the flats grass! :rolleyes:

If somehow it worked to become a field filled with tailgate set ups it could end up pretty cool. It won’t, but a guy can dream

Curious to know if anyone has tailgated at East River Flats this year with the new rules and system. Our group used to tailgate there and loved it. I hate it at the fairgrounds, but that's just me.

If you've tailgated at East River Flats this year, what do you think? Are there others there with you? Is parking an issue?

Curious to know if anyone has tailgated at East River Flats this year with the new rules and system. Our group used to tailgate there and loved it. I hate it at the fairgrounds, but that's just me.

If you've tailgated at East River Flats this year, what do you think? Are there others there with you? Is parking an issue?
Fairgrounds.

Have not looked back. Bus shuttles are fine. I like the pavement over the weeds. Also avoiding the heartattack hill climb (though at times have felt like Rocky Balboa ....)

They are only letting you park in spots, so if you don't get there early enough, you need to haul your gear down from the East River Road Garage. Once you get down there, its great. Lot's of space, grilling, lawn games.

They are only letting you park in spots, so if you don't get there early enough, you need to haul your gear down from the East River Road Garage. Once you get down there, its great. Lot's of space, grilling, lawn games.
Yeah, getting a parking spot on the pavement has been a big worry of ours. Are there many people grilling on the grass?

Yeah, getting a parking spot on the pavement has been a big worry of ours. Are there many people grilling on the grass?
Yeah. You are allowed to grill on the grass, just not park there. I've managed to find spots when I show up a 3 hours or so before game time. Also, I don't think they will hassle you if you want to pull in and drop some stuff off before parking in the ramp, so you could at least save yourself hauling it down (though you would still need to haul it back to the ramp).

Top Bottom