Unranked P5 team @ 8-3

frannyjunk

Reaction score
I think North Carolina and the Gophers are the only unranked P5 teams with a 8-3 record. LSU @ 6-4 should drop out of Top 25. Might the Gophs be ranked Top 25 next week?

I was thinking about this today. As seedy as it sounds, I could see the committee putting them in so that Wisconsin and PSU each have one more win over a Top 25 opponent. Strengthens the case for the B1G to have two teams in the playoff.

When I look at the bottom of the poll (numbers 20 to 25) and the "received points" but not ranked teams above us, I just don't see enough losses by those teams to move us up into the top 25.

Could happen - we beat another decent team and the teams we lost to continue to roll so that counts for something.

Really just 4 or 5 plays from being 11-0. 2 plays from being 10-1. Bad luck of the draw to be only 8-3.

Sagarin has NC at 24 and the Gophers at 44, which seems about right. Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

Ha - if you only knew!

True story, a nephew of mine is a Purdue grad and went to work for a large engineering firm after grad school. He related to me he was bery stressed out by the fact he was put in charge of the designs for some sort of high structure. Very sharp guy, responsible, but terrified they trusted him to finalize important parts of a structure people would be working in. Didn't feel qualified and certain of his design due to lack of experience and youngish age. point of story is the less you know...the better you sleep. I suppose we've all been there at times as younger professionals.

Unranked in the coaches poll

Dropped from rankings: LSU 14, San Diego State 25

Others receiving votes: Virginia Tech 101, Stanford 96, LSU 90, Navy 82, South Florida 46, Minnesota 11, Arkansas 10, Pittsburgh 8, San Diego State 7, Wyoming 6, Tulsa 1, Iowa 1, Miami 1

S&P Rankings have the Gophers at #49, Sagarin at #44. The team may have 8 wins, but you have to look at the competition. The Gophers are not a top 25 team.

S&P Rankings have the Gophers at #49, Sagarin at #44. The team may have 8 wins, but you have to look at the competition. The Gophers are not a top 25 team.

Good point but since when does not being a Top 25 team preclude a team from being named a Top 25 team? ;)

Decided to do a comparison of AP poll rank versus S&P+ for this week. AP rank on the left, S&P+ on the right.

#1 #1 Alabama
#2 #3 Ohio State
#3 #2 Michigan
#4 #4 Clemson
#5 #10 Wisconsin
#6 #6 Washington
#7 #13 Oklahoma
#8 #12 Penn State
#9 #14 Colorado
#10 #25 Oklahoma State (They're 9-2 but had that weird loss to Central Michigan where they would have won if the refs had followed the rules of the game)
#11 #5 Louisville
#12 #8 USC
#13 #17 Florida
#14 #24 Western Michigan
#15 #11 Florida State
#16 #9 Auburn
#17 #26 Nebraska
#18 #21 Houston
#19 #37 West Virginia
#20 #16 Boise State
#21 #43 Utah
#22 #18 Texas A&M
#23 #45 Washington State
#24 #29 Tennessee
#25 #7 LSU

Minnesota is #49, with ranked Utah and Washington State teams being ranked just 6 and 4 spots ahead of us respectively. Both Utah and WSU are also 8-3. LSU is #7 in S&P+ with a 6-4 record, ranked ahead of 3 of the 4 teams they have lost to, the other being Alabama.

Last year's 6-7 Minnesota team finished the season ranked #37, the highest ranked 6 win team in the country, and ranked 10 spots ahead of 12-2 Iowa.

Decided to do a comparison of AP poll rank versus S&P+ for this week. AP rank on the left, S&P+ on the right.

#1 #1 Alabama
#2 #3 Ohio State
#3 #2 Michigan
#4 #4 Clemson
#5 #10 Wisconsin
#6 #6 Washington
#7 #13 Oklahoma
#8 #12 Penn State
#9 #14 Colorado
#10 #25 Oklahoma State (They're 9-2 but had that weird loss to Central Michigan where they would have won if the refs had followed the rules of the game)
#11 #5 Louisville
#12 #8 USC
#13 #17 Florida
#14 #24 Western Michigan
#15 #11 Florida State
#16 #9 Auburn
#17 #26 Nebraska
#18 #21 Houston
#19 #37 West Virginia
#20 #16 Boise State
#21 #43 Utah
#22 #18 Texas A&M
#23 #45 Washington State
#24 #29 Tennessee
#25 #7 LSU

Minnesota is #49, with ranked Utah and Washington State teams being ranked just 6 and 4 spots ahead of us respectively. Both Utah and WSU are also 8-3. LSU is #7 in S&P+ with a 6-4 record, ranked ahead of 3 of the 4 teams they have lost to, the other being Alabama.

Last year's 6-7 Minnesota team finished the season ranked #37, the highest ranked 6 win team in the country, and ranked 10 spots ahead of 12-2 Iowa.

Thanks for taking the time to do that. I'm a believer in S&P and FEI but no system is perfect. Accounting for injuries, weather, etc can't really be done by formulas. And all football models ar limited b smaller sample size vs say baseball stats models. But human bias towards helmet teams with presumed deeper talent is the least accurate of all.

Utah, Boise State, Nebraska? Conversely Stanford, Miami?

It is remarkable that Minnesota is the only 8-win team in a P5 conference that hasn't been ranked in any poll this season. Especially since the Big Ten is easily the most competitive conference this year.

It very rare a major-conference team so many wins is so thoroughly dismissed both locally and nationally.

Maybe I'm being a homer. But the facts don't lie.

It is remarkable that Minnesota is the only 8-win team in a P5 conference that hasn't been ranked in any poll this season. Especially since the Big Ten is easily the most competitive conference this year.

It very rare a major-conference team so many wins is so thoroughly dismissed both locally and nationally.

This team is dismissed frequently and vociferously by its own "fans".

This team is dismissed frequently and vociferously by its own "fans".

Here is #20 - #25: to be ranked, you need to make the case that they are more deserving than these teams and/or think we have better than a 50/50 chance of beating them:

#20 Boise State
#21 Utah
#22 Texas A&M
#23 Washington State
#24 Tennessee
#25 LSU

I don't really like our chances in any of those match-ups and I am pretty sure the opposing team would be favored - thereby justifying the rankings. Just because something makes us angry does not mean it is unfair or incorrect.

Here is #20 - #25: to be ranked, you need to make the case that they are more deserving than these teams and/or think we have better than a 50/50 chance of beating them:

#20 Boise State
#21 Utah
#22 Texas A&M
#23 Washington State
#24 Tennessee
#25 LSU

I don't really like our chances in any of those match-ups and I am pretty sure the opposing team would be favored - thereby justifying the rankings. Just because something makes us angry does not mean it is unfair or incorrect.

We'll likely get a shot at one of those teams in a bowl game (Holiday = Pac 12, Music City = SEC), so I guess we'll figure out pretty quickly who's better.

I can see your point but I also don't think it is a slight that we are not ranked at this point. To date we have beaten one team that has reached that elusive bar of becoming bowl eligible (Colorado State 6-5). Two of the other teams we have beaten are likely to get there by winning their final games of the year (Maryland and Northwestern). The other 5 were all eliminated from bowl consideration multiple weeks ago. We don't need to apologize for beating the bad teams on our schedule but we also shouldn't expect it to impress a lot of people locally or nationally.

If we really are being overlooked a win on Saturday will prove it. But right now being a team on the fringe of the top 25 in the others getting votes section feels right for this team.

The bottom line is that we have had 3 opportunities so far to prove we belong in the top 25 and have come up short in all 3 of them.

I can see your point but I also don't think it is a slight that we are not ranked at this point. To date we have beaten one team that has reached that elusive bar of becoming bowl eligible (Colorado State 6-5). Two of the other teams we have beaten are likely to get there by winning their final games of the year (Maryland and Northwestern). The other 5 were all eliminated from bowl consideration multiple weeks ago. We don't need to apologize for beating the bad teams on our schedule but we also shouldn't expect it to impress a lot of people locally or nationally.

If we really are being overlooked a win on Saturday will prove it. But right now being a team on the fringe of the top 25 in the others getting votes section feels right for this team.

The bottom line is that we have had 3 opportunities so far to prove we belong in the top 25 and have come up short in all 3 of them.

Yes, yes, and yes. Win Saturday? Hey, that'll change everybody's minds. Otherwise, we're probably ranked right about where we should be.

One thing I will note that is a big positive for me is that we are not a team that can be taken lightly anymore, by anyone. That is so far different from what we used to be when I grew up loving the Gophers, and that would be back in those sad old days of being Cupcake City, USA. Now, we can actually play, and mostly courtesy of this exceptionally physical, ball-hawking, big play defense, I feel like we can hang in there against just about anyone.

fans that gripe about how any fans attend games and the ranking of their team. why don't you find something else to cry about?

Or fans that piss and complain about the QB, coach, and the chilly conditions at the game are downers.

The reason non power 5 teams stuggle to get ranked most of the time is lack of quality wins

Top Bottom