***UNOFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT MICHIGAN STATE IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

I think it's in the by-laws that only @Stan can start official game threads, but here is an unofficial one in its absence!

Need some great defense and good shooting to give us a chance on the road against the B1G's best! This is an opportunity to get back on track and on the right side of the bubble!

@matt, thanks for having my back tonight. #NextManUp, I won’t let the Hole down again.

Up next....two home games against teams they will likely be jockeying for position for the remainder of the conference season. Michigan State is on their way to a conference championship.

We didn't play well tonight and got pounded on the boards. Too many second chance points. Winston was incredible.

I hope we don't need to endure another three fire Pitino threads. It was one game against a superior opponent.

19 Michigan State offensive rebounds, 22 Minnesota defensive rebounds. We barely have any advantage rebounding off of Michigan State missed shots at all.

Is that an effort issue, a coaching issue, or both? No way it can be a talent issue. I know there was some foul trouble early but with no guards or centers ending up with more than 3 fouls that's not a good excuse.

Unless they move the Big 10 tournament and March Madness to the Barn I don't see how the Gophers can do much this season.
Part of it is Winston is so dam good on ball screens and brings extra defenders to him which opens up the boards to Tillman and their other bigs. Its one of the reasons on average they are +12 rebs per game. I thought we got tired towards the end as well and thats when msu got the big rebounding advantage.

Are you watching some other team? Of course there is a talent issue with this team. Also a size issue. Don't get me wrong. I'm not dismissing the coaching issue or even the effort issue.
Size and talent don't help but they don't explain why rebounding was that bad. If you're in a good position you should be getting the ball way more than 50% of the time even if you're small and untalented.

Did Gabe Kalscheur make the team flight? Whoever wore No. 22 was terrible tonight. Didn't look for his own shot very much, was mostly terrible on defense and stood and watched most of the game from the 3-point line. Carr, Oturu and Demir were the only 3 who cared tonight. Disappointing, this game was there for the taking with better execution.

Carr's 4th foul was an absolute killer and changed everything in the second half.

This team could be really good next year if Oturu stays. Doubt he does, though. And if he's a projected top-10 pick, he should go. Get paid, young man.

The silly turnovers swing the game. it’s hard to watch sometimes.

I like the idea of williams starting over willis going forward willis still seems bothered by the ankle and williams brings more energy to the first team

I turned the game off after Oturu dragged himself off the court holding his right arm. After reading various threads here on gopherhole it appears as if his doing so is not uncommon. He had better get a clue during his collegiate "career" and stop wincing every time he hits the floor, or improve his 3 point shooting, cuz the big boys in the NBA will be licking their chops at the thought of him going into the paint at that level.

I turned the game off after Oturu dragged himself off the court holding his right arm. After reading various threads here on gopherhole it appears as if his doing so is not uncommon. He had better get a clue during his collegiate "career" and stop wincing every time he hits the floor, or improve his 3 point shooting, cuz the big boys in the NBA will be licking their chops at the thought of him going into the paint at that level.

I took note of this too. The part that caught my eye was the trainer rubbing his arm, almost massaging it. If there is concern of a serious injury you don't see massaging or squeezing, you see ginger touching to not cause more damage and assess severity. It seems they knew right away he just needed a boo boo rubbed.

What exactly is the point of posting this? The majority of the team was pretty much non-existent. Oturu puts up big numbers against a superior opponent with little help from his teammates and you’re worried about how he fares against NBA competition in a year or two from now? I guess I’ll just enjoy watching him while he still plays for the Gophers. Thanks for the contribution.

There just isn’t enough offense on this team - if Carr has an off night, there is no way they beat a team like MSU.

There just isn’t enough offense on this team - if Carr has an off night, there is no way they beat a team like MSU.

Their good but take Winston out of the equation and the Gophers would have a chance.

That was your toughest game of the year so at least you can take solace in the fact that it won't get any tougher than that this year. Nice to at least not get blown out by halftime, but it's about time for a Gopher basketball team to win there.

Disappointing to lose the two tough road games, but you've still got serve held at home and you have a chance at two very winnable home games in a row.

Win both of these games and you'd be a projected "IN" at that point.

Last edited:

That was your toughest game of the year so at least you can take solace in the fact that it won't get any tougher than that this year. Nice to at least not get blown out by halftime, but it's about time for a Gopher basketball team to win there.

Disappointing to lose the two tough road games, but you've still got serve held at home and you have a chance at two very winnable home games in a row.

Win both of these games and you'd be a projected "IN" at that point.
Who cares about projections? All that matters is winning the games.

Gophers playing like the same old team that rolls over at the Breslin Center. Until we can make Izzo sweat at the Breslin we will always be a mid-level B1G team.
Welcome to every coach in the big ten's world. Izzo hasnt broken a sweat in Breslin in years maybe never.

Did Gabe Kalscheur make the team flight? Whoever wore No. 22 was terrible tonight. Didn't look for his own shot very much, was mostly terrible on defense and stood and watched most of the game from the 3-point line. Carr, Oturu and Demir were the only 3 who cared tonight. Disappointing, this game was there for the taking with better execution.

Carr's 4th foul was an absolute killer and changed everything in the second half.

This team could be really good next year if Oturu stays. Doubt he does, though. And if he's a projected top-10 pick, he should go. Get paid, young man.

Exactly. At one point in the second half, he had 0 points, 1 rebound, and 0 assists. Obviously 0-fer from the floor in spite of multiple WIDE OPEN looks. Gabe simply cannot have games like this. This feast or famine is a killer. He doesn't have to make every shot, but he needs to make some, and he needs to look engaged and contribute even when they aren't falling.

I like the idea of williams starting over willis going forward willis still seems bothered by the ankle and williams brings more energy to the first team

He also brings considerably more athleticism which helps defense and rebounding. I think he should start as well. Willis can bring some scoring off the bench.

I don't think leaving the court for a couple of minutes because of a temporarily disabling stinger is going to hurt his pro chances.

Welcome to every coach in the big ten's world. Izzo hasnt broken a sweat in Breslin in years maybe never.

Actually, Pitino does have one win at Breslin (2015). Carlos Morris, in his first season, had a big game. That was the lone late season bright spot in an otherwise very disappointing season.

Oturu has been terrific. I really want to see the team make the NCAAs again this year with him playing at this level. It would be a shame if he left for the NBA without making a run in the tourney. Big game Sunday!

I liked his last Rediculous comments... Michigan State is a team that's not in it for itself they play for one another. Implying Minnesota is full of egos and selfish players or whatever he was trying to get across.
I don't think I'm easily offended, but that comment really irked me. I'm going to give that butthole the benefit of the doubt that, in tripping over himself to praise MSU he inadvertantly, unfairly insulted the Gophers, but even that isn't acceptable. If I saw him on the street, my slappin' hand would start twitching.

I don't think I'm easily offended, but that comment really irked me. I'm going to give that butthole the benefit of the doubt that, in tripping over himself to praise MSU he inadvertantly, unfairly insulted the Gophers, but even that isn't acceptable. If I saw him on the street, my slappin' hand would start twitching.
On the bb board, perhaps not. On the otb quite the opposite.

Actually, Pitino does have one win at Breslin (2015). Carlos Morris, in his first season, had a big game. That was the lone late season bright spot in an otherwise very disappointing season.
You are right! Wasnt that the game morris had a chance to ice in regulation and he missed free throw, but somehow we won in overtime?

It would have been nice to see a replay of that foul since it was such a big one. But I don't think ESPN realized Minnesota was playing in the game.

The color commentator kept trying to bring the Gophers up ("they are still in it", "Gophers are still only down 8") and Dakich would have none of it.

Top Bottom