Uncle Pat

book

Reaction score
Our dear friend Ruesse offers advice to new writer Neal... Of course high on his list is to watch out for Gopher football zealots... I think he should add to his list - Suck up to the pro teams - especially the Vikings who only have to compete against 3 teams for a championship - and always make any Gopher loss a major deal...

Our dear friend Ruesse offers advice to new writer Neal... Of course high on his list is to watch out for Gopher football zealots... I think he should add to his list - Suck up to the pro teams - especially the Vikings who only have to compete against 3 teams for a championship - and always make any Gopher loss a major deal...

Aah, Ruesse in-training.

First piece of advice - it is okay to "mail in" 4/5 of the columns that you write
Second piece of advice - Talk about the old times and how much better the old times were and there is nothing like the old times and kids now days don't understand because they weren't around in the old times.
Old times.

They have never had a "championship". Division championships are a joke--only 8 of 14 play-off teams require one. Only 6 WC have one Super Bowls, but there was only 1 WC in the Divisional round for 20 years. After 1966, the Super Bowl was the championship.

They made Jeopardy as one of the three longest without a Championship: Arizona, Detroit, and the Vikings.

Second piece of advice - Talk about the old times and how much better the old times were and there is nothing like the old times and kids now days don't understand because they weren't around in the old times.
Old times.

Mention Town Ball. A lot. Especially historical town ball. Have an anecdote from a farm communities town ball team in 1967? THATS A COLUMN!

Reusse suck up to the Vikes. Huh? He chided them in the same article for the Anderson/Walsh missed FGs. I was surprised he didn't bring up 41-dougnut, which he has stated often was favorite time to be in the press box.

Old times.
Know your reader base! 🤫

I do hope Lavelle (and/or the editors) take the time to give his pieces a second read for spelling and grammar. I love Lavelle's Twins coverage, but - as a former sports writer who covered plenty of games on tight deadlines - it never ceased to amaze me how pretty much 1 out of every 3 or 4 of Lavelle's Twins gamers or notebooks had some kind of obvious grammar/spelling error. Maybe it was just cause they were rushing to get it online ASAP after a game, but I've seen far fewer errors at much smaller papers where one person was writing, editing AND laying out the page in the same night.

Old times.
Sadly, so very true, as that has been the roux for every printed dish he’s served for at least 20 years.

I do hope Lavelle (and/or the editors) take the time to give his pieces a second read for spelling and grammar. I love Lavelle's Twins coverage, but - as a former sports writer who covered plenty of games on tight deadlines - it never ceased to amaze me how pretty much 1 out of every 3 or 4 of Lavelle's Twins gamers or notebooks had some kind of obvious grammar/spelling error. Maybe it was just cause they were rushing to get it online ASAP after a game, but I've seen far fewer errors at much smaller papers where one person was writing, editing AND laying out the page in the same night.
I've noticed that as well.

1st bit of advice. STAY AWAY from flipping Reuseeeee.... he is bad news. Only negative will come from being around that putz.

1st bit of advice. STAY AWAY from flipping Reuseeeee.... he is bad news. Only negative will come from being around that putz.
I just don't see Lavelle turning into a Reusse. It doesn't seem to be his nature.
Maybe he'll be more of a Chip Scoggins type.

Pat couldn’t afford to retire when he should have... because he didn’t get hooked up with sponsor Josh Allen Investments until he was old, broke and (finally) sober. Or so he says.

Top Bottom