Uncensored video of Will Smith punching Chris Rock and then swearing at him

Yeah I'm having a hard time believing that a star that's Will Smith's caliber would do something like that. My guess is that over the years he's heard much worse out on the street and never resorted to violence but on live TV he will? Is this his first awards ceremony? They constantly roast and rip on people.

Just a very strange situation. Can't imagine what kind of things the network is hearing today.

Absolutely staged and planned. Got more buzz about the Oscars than there's been in years
I don't think it was staged/planned. Can't imagine the producers of the show are THAT creative.

Rock after the slap also had tremendous difficulty composing himself to announce the next award. Plus it really detracted for the honor that mutual friend Questlove was about to receive for Summer of Soul.

I do wonder how Questlove feels about it. He's stated publicly recently that he considers Will Smith a mentor and Rock actually appears in the film for a second.

I don't think it was staged/planned. Can't imagine the producers of the show are THAT creative.

Rock after the slap also had tremendous difficulty composing himself to announce the next award. Plus it really detracted for the honor that mutual friend Questlove was about to receive for Summer of Soul.

I do wonder how Questlove feels about it. He's stated publicly recently that he considers Will Smith a mentor and Rock actually appears in the film for a second.

Watching Dan Patrick this morning. He had a couple of people on the Entertainment Tonight, Kevin Frazier and Nischelle Turner, who were there last night. They said that Questlove talked to Rock on stage before Rock left. Rock actually left the building before anybody got to talk to him.

They also mentioned that Denzel Washington, Tyler Perry and Bradley Cooper and talked to Smith during the commercial.

Last edited:

Chris Rock demonstrated extreme composure. I hope we all learned something there.
First of all, it was totally staged.

Secondly, I didn't learn anything. Be an idiot Hollywood loon, and the laws don't apply to you. I already knew that, though.

I'm not getting the staging conspiracy at all.

- Rock looks bad.
- Smith looks bad.
- Jada embarrassed.
- Detracts from Questlove's win.
- If it was a ratings grab, then not executed very well when there was only about 30 minutes left in the show and many in the Central & Eastern time zones had gone to sleep.

Last edited:

The funny thing is Will Smith actually laughed initially after the joke.

I have to think Rock didn’t know about the condition.

It’s really bizarre how everyone there just acted like nothing happened afterwards. Just about anyone else would have immediately been kicked out.

Yeah....hard to say. But maybe that wasn't the joke to make if you aren't sure. Either way....major overreaction by Will Smith that looked really bad.

And while the joke may have been a bit of a potshot....and assuming that this was in fact real....big ups to Chris Rock. Getting unexpectedly smacked like that on live TV and hardly even flinching. I mean.....I don't know how he managed to maintain composure after that and segway the way he did. Obviously he's a quick dude and is not fazed by the stage....but that was a pro move to collect himself like he did.

Yeah....hard to say. But maybe that wasn't the joke to make if you aren't sure. Either way....major overreaction by Will Smith that looked really bad.

And while the joke may have been a bit of a potshot....and assuming that this was in fact real....big ups to Chris Rock. Getting unexpectedly smacked like that on live TV and hardly even flinching. I mean.....I don't know how he managed to maintain composure after that and segway the way he did. Obviously he's a quick dude and is not fazed by the stage....but that was a pro move to collect himself like he did.
Yep. Smith looked and sounded dumb. It looked like a real reaction by Rock. Imagine how butt hurt Smith would be if Ricky Gervais hosted.

- Rock look bad.
- Smith looks bad.
- Jada embarrassed.
- If it was a ratings grab, then not executed very well when there was only about 30 minutes left in the show and many in the Central & Eastern time zones had gone to sleep.

I agree with this. Basically everyone looks bad here. Doesn't make sense for Will Smith to be in on a gag like that on a night where he is in line to win the biggest award of his career. Making himself look crazy would be a silly move. Not to mention....even though both Smith and Rock are really talented actors....I would have to think if they staged that and pulled it off like that....that they should both be awarded an Emmy or something.

If a specific culture utilizes violence within the home and experiences violence outside of the home. I cannot imagine how terrible that life would be.

- Rock look bad.
- Smith looks bad.
- Jada embarrassed.
Right. Rock had tears in his eyes as he struggled to get through that. It wasn't staged.

Yep. Smith looked and sounded dumb. It looked like a real reaction by Rock. Imagine how butt hurt Smith would be if Ricky Gervais hosted.
I thought if any host/emcee was ever going to get socked in the mouth, my bet was on Gervais. Had to be way less than even odds on that prop.

Additionally, it was not a great joke to begin with, referencing a mediocre Demi Moore film more than 2 decades old.

I just don't see how the Academy would be in on upstaging what is supposed to be a vehicle for the films themselves. I guess I would change my "staged" tune if we get an announcement that Rock is now set to co-star in Bad Boys 5.

I thought the moment of silence was appropriate.

In talking with somebody this morning, I had made that point that Smith could have totally "won" the night if he just kept his composure. Now with Twitter, you have an instant vehicle to get attention/sympathy. If he keeps his cool, he could have posted something on his twitter account right after the event (or even during) describing the condition Pinkett has, and that it was a classless thing for Rock to joke about. It doesn't matter if Rock didn't know about it, people would have been fawning over Smith (sadly, I'm sure much more than Pinkett) and he would have gotten so much attention and Rock would have looked like a goon. Instead, Smith loses his shit and Rock ends up being the person that gets commended.

You often assume that famous people like Will Smith must have a thick skin for the stuff they have to deal with, but they are often the most insecure people around.

I agree with the above poster in that the GI Jane joke is pretty tired, as it's been used about a thousand times. But Rock is a comedian; good grief it's a joke. Maybe not a good one, but it's a joke.

In talking with somebody this morning, I had made that point that Smith could have totally "won" the night if he just kept his composure. Now with Twitter, you have an instant vehicle to get attention/sympathy. If he keeps his cool, he could have posted something on his twitter account right after the event (or even during) describing the condition Pinkett has, and that it was a classless thing for Rock to joke about. It doesn't matter if Rock didn't know about it, people would have been fawning over Smith (sadly, I'm sure much more than Pinkett) and he would have gotten so much attention and Rock would have looked like a goon. Instead, Smith loses his shit and Rock ends up being the person that gets commended.

You often assume that famous people like Will Smith must have a thick skin for the stuff they have to deal with, but they are often the most insecure people around.

I agree with the above poster in that the GI Jane joke is pretty tired, as it's been used about a thousand times. But Rock is a comedian; good grief it's a joke. Maybe not a good one, but it's a joke.
Probably true. I don't agree with a lot of the hot takes on this, but for better or worse, this is going in the first paragraph of his obit some day.

Probably true. I don't agree with a lot of the hot takes on this, but for better or worse, this is going in the first paragraph of his obit some day.
Maybe I'm jaded, but in the twitter and 24/7 news cycle society we now live, nobody is going to care in a few months. Maybe it'll get some play before next year's Oscars, but outside of the next few days/weeks, that'll probably be about it. We've seen this play out time and time again in the twitter era- as long as you're not at the Harvey Weinstein-level of offense, just don't say anything, don't resign from your position, etc. and eventually it will likely blow over. People have insanely short attention spans, and the mob will eventually retreat on to the next person.

Maybe I'm jaded, but in the twitter and 24/7 news cycle society we now live, nobody is going to care in a few months. Maybe it'll get some play before next year's Oscars, but outside of the next few days/weeks, that'll probably be about it. We've seen this play out time and time again in the twitter era- as long as you're not at the Harvey Weinstein-level of offense, just don't say anything, don't resign from your position, etc. and eventually it will likely blow over. People have insanely short attention spans, and the mob will eventually retreat on to the next person.
I don't think that contradicts what I said. I didn't say his career is over. But this was his first Oscar win and the slap will always be mentioned with it. 1st paragraph of obit.

It was an A-list ovation for Will Smith at Vanity Fair’s Oscars after-party​

There was one man folks were waiting to see at the Vanity Fair after-party on Sunday, and his name was not Oscar. Will Smith, the movie star who shockingly shrugged off his nice-guy image at the Academy Awards earlier that night, was the party’s official barometer.

Would Will show up? And what would he do if he did? And how should we react if he did?

Five hours after the slap heard round the world, the mood shifted the moment DJ D-Nice dropped the needle on “Gettin’ Jiggy Wit It.” It was a signal. The 2022 best actor was here, in the room, no longer weeping with ambiguous remorse but striding into the celebration with all the swagger he had taken to meet Chris Rock’s left cheek and leading an entourage — Jada, Jaden, Willow — to the dance floor, where he rapped along with not one, not two, but three of his own hits:

What? You wanna ball with the kid? Watch your step, you might fall, trying to do what I did.
And what did the Hollywood party people do? They didn’t boo. They didn’t turn their backs. They held up their phones to capture and pay tribute to this, the guy they recognize, the Will Smith they can get behind.

The rest of the country could debate what they saw on the screen — Will Smith, hero or villain? — in their living rooms or on Twitter. But at the annual party hosted by Vanity Fair editor Radhika Jones, Hollywood got the chance to decide in front of the man himself. And the clap-o-meter, at least within the A-lister’s earshot, was off the charts.

Go Gophers!!

Academy ‘condemns’ Will Smith’s Oscar night slap, promises ‘formal review’​

A “formal review” into Will Smith’s Oscar night slap involving Chris Rock is underway, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences said Monday, as it denounced the “King Richard” star’s behavior.

“The Academy condemns the actions of Mr. Smith,” the statement read.

“We have officially started a formal review around the incident and will explore further action and consequences in accordance with our Bylaws, Standards of Conduct and California law.”

The statement is the AMPAs first official comment since the primetime assault — though it tweeted early Monday morning that it does “not condone violence of any form.” ..

This came after the Academy said they would investigate what happened last night.

Will Smith took to social media on Monday to formally apologize to Chris Rock for slapping him during Sunday’s Academy Award ceremony, calling his behavior “unacceptable and inexcusable.” The incident took place prior to Smith accepting the award for best actor later in the evening.

“Jokes at my expense are part of the job, but a joke about Jada’s medical condition was too much for me to bear, and I reacted emotionally,” Smith wrote in a post on Instagram.

“I would like to publicly apologize to you, Chris. I was out of line and I was wrong.”

Well, prepare to be told that all of this is none of your business.

Last edited:

Watching Dan Patrick this morning. He had a couple of people on the Entertainment Tonight, Kevin Frazier and Nischelle Turner, who were there last night. They said that Questlove talked to Rock on stage before Rock left. Rock actually left the building before anybody got to talk to him.

They also mentioned that Denzel Washington, Tyler Perry and Bradley Cooper and talked to Smith during the commercial.
Just making my way through yesterday's DP show and Jay Bilas made a good call saying it reminded him of the Jim Rome & Jim "Don't Call Me Chris" Everett incident.

Top Bottom