UNC WR eligibility denied. Mack Brown lets loose on Statement.

an organization should only have the rules that it feels are absolutely essential. and those rules should be strictly enforced.

with the NCAA, the rules seem to be constantly changing, or at least being "adjusted." and then the enforcement is slipshod.

and the NCAA put itself in this situation by creating the 'family hardship' loophole to the "one free transfer" rule - and then applying that loophole in a seemingly inconsistent fashion.

the only way to put the genie back in the bottle is to make a hard-and-fast rule. one free transfer is it. if you want to transfer again, you sit out a year no matter what.
NCAA rule making can be better understood if you count the number of lawyers employed on staff.

The issue is Mack Brown didn't get what he wanted so he is complaining about it.
Mack Brown should recall that this governing organization (NCAA) let his cohorts on the basketball side of the house, off the hook... hopefully that played a role this time around!

EDIT: Sorry - still just a tad bitter about that!

As I understand it the kid fully complied with the rules at the time. The NCAA announced very shortly afterward that they had changed the rules....and that it was retroactive because they had changed the rules months before but hadn't announced them at the time. Sort of like "Double Secret Probation" from Animal House.

I guess he went to NC Central in 2020....and they canceled their season. Walker transferred to Kent State without ever playing a down at NC Central.

Not saying the NCAA ruling is right or wrong....but I think the complaint by UNC is that the transfer from NC Central to Kent State shouldn't count.

This, but the major issue is that Tez had already transferred and enrolled on January 9. Then they change rule on January 11 and deem him ineligible. You cannot backdate a new rule. Preposterous. The speed limit on an interstate cannot be changed from 65 to 55 today and then a police officer issue you a ticket for going 65 last week. It is absurd. Like Carolina or not this is a 22 year old kid the NCAA is adversely and wrongly affecting. They isn't right.

4 yrs of eligibility. The rule should hard and fast. 4 and no more. Go to a different school every year but you get 4 years.
4 schools in 4 years should be every athlete’s aspiration. Go team!! 🕺

This, but the major issue is that Tez had already transferred and enrolled on January 9. Then they change rule on January 11 and deem him ineligible. You cannot backdate a new rule. Preposterous. The speed limit on an interstate cannot be changed from 65 to 55 today and then a police officer issue you a ticket for going 65 last week. It is absurd. Like Carolina or not this is a 22 year old kid the NCAA is adversely and wrongly affecting. They isn't right.

What rule did they change? Second transfers have always been on a case to case basis.

What rule did they change? Second transfers have always been on a case to case basis.
The rule did not change - people keep saying this but it is wrong. What changed was the NCAA made more of an official commitment to enforce the existing rules, whereas before that it seemed for a while that they were basically ignoring the rules. I can see the frustration from this kid's side, but no rule was violated by the NCAA.

The rule did not change - people keep saying this but it is wrong. What changed was the NCAA made more of an official commitment to enforce the existing rules, whereas before that it seemed for a while that they were basically ignoring the rules. I can see the frustration from this kid's side, but no rule was violated by the NCAA.

Based on what I can tell.....UNC simply thought that they deserved preferential treatment.

I get it I guess but feel like that would be more relevant if he had transferred to Kent St to play in 2020. Unless he thought they were going to cancel the 2021 season too?
There were other reasons, including some mental health issues.

The story is one that begs for a review process. This was not a typical situation AND was a change in how the NCAA applied the rule after he transferred.

Not saying the decision was wrong, but it is hypocritical. Par for the course for the NCAA.

Top Bottom