UNC assistant coach Jovan Dewitt tweets out a photo of him traveling to recruit during a “dead period” ... then deletes tweet

It's UNC. They can do whatever they want. Or is that just for basketball?

8cwl8.jpg

As its free passes for basketball hyper-abuses have shown, UNC enjoys some kind of secret multi-generational exemption from NCAA rules.

I'm sure he was just being sarcastic and everyone missed the obvious joke. No way anyone associated with UNC would ever consider breaking any rules. I honestly wonder if they even have a compliance department there or if it is just students disguised as compliance workers in order to fool NCAA people if they check in (which they clearly don't).

On a serious note though, how friggin stupid do you have to be as a coach to post something like that on social media? I'm not surprised teams are breaking the rules, that kind of crap goes on all the time but to post about it is just a whole different level of dumb.

UNC has been knocking them dead recruiting; could be dirty as hell.

I bet Mr. Dewitt also went behind everyone's back, including Dean and Roy, and created those fake classes...the NCAA should throw the book at him.

Surprised they just don't post handing bags of cash to recruits. What will NCAA do to them? They have already shown they are untouchable.

Vocabulary question: Satchel stuffed full of smaller denomination, moderately used bills = ‘crootin?

More of that straight-as-an-arrow "Carolina Way" their fan base crowed about for decades...

Since it doesn't seem to have come up yet, discussion on Reddit seems to indicate that this coach is staying near his parents in FL (thus the palm trees) as he recovers from cancer, and was talking to recruits remotely which is allowed. A poorly phrased tweet that definitely seems bad, but probably need to put the pitchforks away on this one.

NB: I have done no personal investigation of this topic, just reporting others' findings.

Since it doesn't seem to have come up yet, discussion on Reddit seems to indicate that this coach is staying near his parents in FL (thus the palm trees) as he recovers from cancer, and was talking to recruits remotely which is allowed. A poorly phrased tweet that definitely seems bad, but probably need to put the pitchforks away on this one.

NB: I have done no personal investigation of this topic, just reporting others' findings.

Why would he say "hit the road early this morning" then? That statement doesn't really fit with what the Redditors are saying.

If that were true, I doubt he would have quickly deleted the tweet.

The ones who run away when the police siren starts are probably the guilty ones.

The ones who run away when the police siren starts are probably the guilty ones.

Someone in the fake UNC compliance office aka Athletics cheating protection office, might have seen it and gotten to him quickly to get it taken down in the hopes that it wouldn't get noticed. Of course in this day and age that is a pipe dream.

Agreed. But he didn't delete it--it's still up.

nm

Last edited:

nm

Last edited:

Top Bottom