Unbelievable opportunity tomorrow night!

Sota1

Reaction score
With all the disappointments we have had this year we have a great opportunity to jump right back in the mix tomorrow night. Purdue is redhot as indicated by their #3 ranking in the country and the general consensus from all the BB gurus. This will be, by far, our toughest matchup of the season at home. Purdue has a big ten championship on the line and will not be looking past this game. In my opinion, if we win this game, our destiny is in our own hands. Wins over Purdue, Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Butler with a 10-8 big ten record will get us in as a lock (might, maybe need to win one game in the b10 tourney). We will need to play our best game of the season to beat a Purdue team that will be prepared. The one nugget I think is true, is that if we play our best game, we can beat them! Last year I would have said against both Mich State and Purdue that we would need them to be off, even with our best. We won't beat them if they are hot, but if we can hold them down, just a bit, we can get er done. I am so Jacked for tomorrow night! Hopefully, we can contain them and keep it close. Go Gophs!

With all the disappointments we have had this year we have a great opportunity to jump right back in the mix tomorrow night. Purdue is redhot as indicated by their #3 ranking in the country and the general consensus from all the BB gurus. This will be, by far, our toughest matchup of the season at home. Purdue has a big ten championship on the line and will not be looking past this game. In my opinion, if we win this game, our destiny is in our own hands. Wins over Purdue, Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Butler with a 10-8 big ten record will get us in as a lock (might, maybe need to win one game in the b10 tourney). We will need to play our best game of the season to beat a Purdue team that will be prepared. The one nugget I think is true, is that if we play our best game, we can beat them! Last year I would have said against both Mich State and Purdue that we would need them to be off, even with our best. We won't beat them if they are hot, but if we can hold them down, just a bit, we can get er done. I am so Jacked for tomorrow night! Hopefully, we can contain them and keep it close. Go Gophs!

I like all of this intensity on the boards of gopherhole this past week! I agree! If we play like we did against wisky and indy than we have a strong chance of winning... especially because Purdue will likely be a bit preoccupied with their upcoming game with MSU this sunday...

Just like Illinois in 2002...

God I hope not!

I don't think the Boilers will look past the Gophers. Can't afford to when you're chasing a #1 seed. Painter will have 'em ready to go. We'll need our best effort.

I don't think the Boilers will look past the Gophers. Can't afford to when you're chasing a #1 seed. Painter will have 'em ready to go. We'll need our best effort.

Agreed.

#1 seed, Big Ten Title, and lest we all forget the dream of homecourt advantage in the Final Four.

Eyes on the prize.

God I hope not!

I still can't believe the ref missed the call on Corey Bradford's "3-pointer". His foot was squarely on the line.

I was right off that sideline. Clear as day.

Don't get too excited. Don't want you all to have your hearts broken ;)

Brass taxes: What does the Purdue game mean?

To me, a win tomorrow night means the Gophers become/remain a viable at-large candidate for at least two more games, @ Illinois and @ Michigan. I look at it as, beating the Boilers means the Gophers have two chances (to get a win) on the road to remain in the conversation. Beat Purdue and then lose to both Illinois and Michigan and the Gophs are right back where they were after the Northwestern game, pretty much dead in the water.

God I hope not!

As horrible as that was (worst regular season loss in my memory) if it had gone the other way, Dan Monson might still be the coach. Or at least he may have lasted 1-2 years longer then he did.

Selection Sunday---

Where would our RPI be if we beat Purdue?
How about if we coupled that with a win vs. Illinois?
Could we get up into the 40's/50's?

Selection Sunday---

Where would our RPI be if we beat Purdue?
How about if we coupled that with a win vs. Illinois?
Could we get up into the 40's/50's?

SS may be able to better answer, but since we only went up 7 spots beating Wisconsin, I can't see Purdue being worth more then 8-10. So I'd expect to be somewhere between 66-69 if we beat Purdue and maybe 61-64 if we beat Illinois on top of that.

I'm not exactly an RPI master, but I don't see the Gophers RPI rank jumping by much more than 10 or so if they beat Purdue. Home wins count for much less, and it's real late in the year.

To me, a win tomorrow night means the Gophers become/remain a viable at-large candidate for at least two more games, @ Illinois and @ Michigan. I look at it as, beating the Boilers means the Gophers have two chances (to get a win) on the road to remain in the conversation. Beat Purdue and then lose to both Illinois and Michigan and the Gophs are right back where they were after the Northwestern game, pretty much dead in the water.

Yep. I think we should just go ahead and win out the rest of the season lol. I just want these last games of the regular season to really mean something, for NCAA purposes, not NIT seeding LOL

Just a guess.

If we beat Purdue, I'd guess that will get us into the mid- to high-60s. Tack on a win over Illinois and I'd guess we'll be in the mid- to high-50s. Unless we win out, getting into the 40s (prior to the BTT) probably isn't possible.

I like this thread. It has been a tough year, with high's and low's, but I would agree with what has been previously stated. This team is very capable of beating Purdue, play like against Wis and it will happen. As opposed to last year, or two years ago, a win would only occur if Purdue had a bad game. This year Goph's can beat teams that have a better record and are still playing a good game.

Top Bottom