UMN Announces “Stripe Out” for Homecoming

And what happens when a few people show up in regular street clothes, maybe a grey shirt and some jeans? Are the people around going to jeer at them? Just shake their heads at them? lol.

I question doing it the week that one the main school colors for the opponent is gold. Different shade mind you, but still "gold".

Whatevs. Row the boat.

Just to be clear, this should not to be confused with "Skid Marks" on Nov. 19th, which is reserved only for Hawkeye fans and pays homage to the usual condition of their underwear.

There are two elephants in this room. The spotty history of “gold outs” is the more obvious problem. People don’t tend to have gear with gold as the main color and Minnesotans don’t like to be told what to do.

The other elephant is attendance. Color coordinated plans tend to lose their impact when there are a lot of empty seats. That aspect might look even worse with a striping plan. Does the homecoming game have a shot at a sellout?
Beat MSU and I think we've got a decent shot as a ranked team to sellout

There are two elephants in this room. The spotty history of “gold outs” is the more obvious problem. People don’t tend to have gear with gold as the main color and Minnesotans don’t like to be told what to do.

The other elephant is attendance. Color coordinated plans tend to lose their impact when there are a lot of empty seats. That aspect might look even worse with a striping plan. Does the homecoming game have a shot at a sellout?
I think there is a shot it is close to one, yes. First home B1G game this season plus Homecoming. If Gophs come in undefeated and ranked, I think there will be very good late and walk-up sales.

I've gotten a good 3 emails at least about it.

Latest one identified my specific color rather than just providing the map.

I've gotten a good 3 emails at least about it.

Latest one identified my specific color rather than just providing the map.
They've probably done what they can do short of giving everyone a shirt.

And what happens when a few people show up in regular street clothes, maybe a grey shirt and some jeans? Are the people around going to jeer at them? Just shake their heads at them? lol.
Grey shirt? Hopefully they are in one of the anthracite stripes.

Way too early weather says 65 degrees at kickoff and possibly clear to mostly-clear skies...minimal chance of rain. This should keep the coats and jackets out of the color equation.

They've probably done what they can do short of giving everyone a shirt.
Agreed. The last email had it all spelled out in the subject line targeted to my section:

WEAR MAROON ON OCTOBER 1 〽️🏈 STRIPE THE BANK!

Smart move, because I delete about 90% of the emails that the U sends me without even opening.

Way too early weather says 65 degrees at kickoff and possibly clear to mostly-clear skies...minimal chance of rain. This should keep the coats and jackets out of the color equation.
It can work the other way, if it was too warm. This past Saturday I specifically did not wear my Gold Gopher golf shirt, because it's too similar to Colorado colors. I went Maroon. Sitting in the sun the first half, regretted it slightly.

I'm a gamer though, stayed hydrated...all good.

As David Puddy famously said, "You gotta support the TEAM!"

Are they going to fix the thing where the band wore black overalls and yellow shirts last game?

Stripes? Really? A lot of schools do that. But, we already have a built in prompt with the "M" and "MINNESOTA" spelled out in the seat colors. Why not "Wear Your Seat Color?"Now that would look great on a national broadcast in LA.

I proposed this a few years back and got the same hurumph, hurumph from the same members on this board.

Taken a step further, tickets should reflect the color of the seat to prompt users when the Wear Your Seat Color games occur.

As the gold seats are mostly held by season ticket holders, the wardrobe issue should be less of a problem. Those that get tickets from scalpers or a friend of a friend could still look like a fly in the ointment, but not a deal breaker. (Or put them on the video board for general scorn!)

Com'on marketing department, dare to be different!

Stripes? Really? A lot of schools do that. But, we already have a built in prompt with the "M" and "MINNESOTA" spelled out in the seat colors. Why not "Wear Your Seat Color?"Now that would look great on a national broadcast in LA.

I proposed this a few years back and got the same hurumph, hurumph from the same members on this board.

Taken a step further, tickets should reflect the color of the seat to prompt users when the Wear Your Seat Color games occur.

As the gold seats are mostly held by season ticket holders, the wardrobe issue should be less of a problem. Those that get tickets from scalpers or a friend of a friend could still look like a fly in the ointment, but not a deal breaker. (Or put them on the video board for general scorn!)

Com'on marketing department, dare to be different!

Wouldn't the "Wear Your Seat Color" plan look the exact same as an empty stadium, just like in 2020 except for a few cutouts?

Top Bottom