umm, wow, does the u think we're bying these tickets?!

Go4

Reaction score
Does the u think gopher fans are the ones buying these tickets?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Wow - <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> single-game B1G tickets have been doing very well today. Get yours now! <a href="http://t.co/Cfj6zNtyAn">http://t.co/Cfj6zNtyAn</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Huskers&src=hash">#Huskers</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Badgers&src=hash">#Badgers</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Hawkeyes&src=hash">#Hawkeyes</a></p>— Minnesota Gophers (@GopherSports) <a href="https://twitter.com/GopherSports/statuses/380397172757258241">September 18, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Smoke and Mirrors. Does it matter to them as long as they sell the tickets? (sarcasm font) I am sure when they are taking down the mailing information they aren't discriminating to anyone with a WI, NE, or IA in the address.
I wish it wasn't the case, but I am sure there are a lot of calls from our neighbors to the East and South.

Clearly they aren't this foolish.

Good point. Most people don't know about the epilepsy give away, so if they're looking for tickets, they've got to be watching the choice of seats getting smaller and smaller.

What's wrong with using a little scarcity mentality to your advantage! :cool:

I bought a bunch yesterday as a season ticket holder for freinds that were coming into town on different weekends. Let me tell you, there is not much left. Nebraska was impossible to find any tickets.

I bought a bunch yesterday as a season ticket holder for freinds that were coming into town on different weekends. Let me tell you, there is not much left. Nebraska was impossible to find any tickets.

Yeah, NE is close to a sellout. But the PSU game has lots of seats left. I checked yesterday and there were nearly 1,000 upper-bowl seatbacks available on the visitor side, and much of the upper-bowl bench seats were unsold.

(save for the PSU scandal) this is one of the best Big Ten home slates we've ever seen (and might ever see again). Honestly, our 2 biggest rivals, and 2 helmet schools in Nebraska and PSU (the former of which we have a pretty long history with pre-1980s). I'm shocked and disappointed in local fans for not jumping on this opportunity.

(save for the PSU scandal) this is one of the best Big Ten home slates we've ever seen (and might ever see again). Honestly, our 2 biggest rivals, and 2 helmet schools in Nebraska and PSU (the former of which we have a pretty long history with pre-1980s). I'm shocked and disappointed in local fans for not jumping on this opportunity.

Cuts both way RBY. If casual Gopher Fans feel like they've got a chance to see their team beat those S.O.B.S. they'll buy tickets. If they don't, they probably remember the feeling of being jeered at by those same foreign fans, including many in the Student section, as they walk-out of their own stadium. Can't say I've ever enjoyed that feeling myself.

Does the u think gopher fans are the ones buying these tickets?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Wow - <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> single-game B1G tickets have been doing very well today. Get yours now! <a href="http://t.co/Cfj6zNtyAn">http://t.co/Cfj6zNtyAn</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Huskers&src=hash">#Huskers</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Badgers&src=hash">#Badgers</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Hawkeyes&src=hash">#Hawkeyes</a></p>— Minnesota Gophers (@GopherSports) <a href="https://twitter.com/GopherSports/statuses/380397172757258241">September 18, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

your premise and question is needlessly snarky and misguided. the same question can be asked of you. how do you know who is buying them? unless you work in the U of M ticket office and have first hand factual knowledge of exactly who is buying them, and exactly which team they root for, then i suggest you not pose as though you do. cheers and GO GOPHERS!

To many people remember the 83-14 loss Father Osbourne put on us. Plus, this State completely blows as far as Gopher football goes. I swear if I see another Viking sign board in front of a bar/sports bar saying " Watch the Vikes here " I'm going to take my Louisville Slugger and smash it in
A thousand pieces.

To many people remember the 83-14 loss Father Osbourne put on us. Plus, this State completely blows as far as Gopher football goes. I swear if I see another Viking sign board in front of a bar/sports bar saying " Watch the Vikes here " I'm going to take my Louisville Slugger and smash it in A thousand pieces.

The real problem Rupert is people don't have to go anywhere near that far back to have been sitting in the Dome or TCF and watching heart breaking losses or being on the wrong end of a blowout. Often they were accompanied by thousands of drunken Sconie or Iowa fans. The Nebraska fans have at least been sober.

your premise and question is needlessly snarky and misguided. the same question can be asked of you. how do you know who is buying them? unless you work in the U of M ticket office and have first hand factual knowledge of exactly who is buying them, and exactly which team they root for, then i suggest you not pose as though you do. cheers and GO GOPHERS!

He's right though. Obviously there are Gopher fans buying tickets too but a lot of them are being bought by opposing team's fans. We've seen evidence of this in the past of our stadium packed with Husker, Badger, and Hawkeye fans. I don't need to see the actual sales demographics to know what's going on.

The real problem Rupert is people don't have to go anywhere near that far back to have been sitting in the Dome or TCF and watching heart breaking losses or being on the wrong end of a blowout.

what like the freaking vikings haven't done that numerous times themselves over the years? please! the sheer hypocrisy of those who think that way/say essentially that when comparing the gophers and vikings is beyond maddening. it is just plain silly and wrong.

funny side note/thought: for most of my youth and adult life i was equally a gophers and vikings fan. honestly though, in the last few years i am really just plain starting to not care about the vikings at all anymore. regardless of the vikings record, regardless of their success or failure. i have discovered that my loyalty and attention now sits almost 100% with the gophers and they are my real football passion. and the vikings have really become something of an afterthought.

He's right though. Obviously there are Gopher fans buying tickets too but a lot of them are being bought by opposing team's fans. We've seen evidence of this in the past of our stadium packed with Husker, Badger, and Hawkeye fans. I don't need to see the actual sales demographics to know what's going on.

well okay then. i have your and his word for it, so apparently i should take it as gospel truth. sorry for the same type of snarkiness i just gave him crap for. but unless either of you have access to hard factual data as i noted above, i will simply wait and see.

what like the freaking vikings haven't done that numerous times themselves over the years? please! the hypocrisy of those who think that way/say that is pretty silly.

Honestly, I think that the Gopher fans have far more emotional investment in the team than Viking fans do. How could we not? It's just seems like it's a lot tougher to be a Gopher Fan in the Cities than a Vikings fan. Maybe outstate it's a little easier but I spent far to much time being in crowds where College Football was certainly an afterthought after the NFL.

Even then, they knew about the Michigan, NE and Wisconsin losses and the 1-11 seasons. Vikings fans talk about Super Bowl losses and blown Conference Championship games.

Glad that you haven't found it that way.

Cuts both way RBY. If casual Gopher Fans feel like they've got a chance to see their team beat those S.O.B.S. they'll buy tickets. If they don't, they probably remember the feeling of being jeered at by those same foreign fans, including many in the Student section, as they walk-out of their own stadium. Can't say I've ever enjoyed that feeling myself.

(This isn't directed at you Iceland, just more of a general statement)

Isn't it funny how some of these casual fans complain constantly about the lack of tough teams during the non-conference schedule, but when we have four rivals/helmet schools lined up at home, some of these same people will say "why would I go when I know the Gophers will just lose?"

I have a few friends like that. It would just be better if they said I don't really care about the Gophers until the start winning a few tough games.

what like the freaking vikings haven't done that numerous times themselves over the years? please! the sheer hypocrisy of those who think that way/say essentially that when comparing the gophers and vikings is beyond maddening. it is just plain silly and wrong.

funny side note/thought: for most of my youth and adult life i was equally a gophers and vikings fan. honestly though, in the last few years i am really just plain starting to not care about the vikings at all anymore. regardless of the vikings record, regardless of their success or failure. i have discovered that my loyalty and attention now sits almost 100% with the gophers and they are my real football passion. and the vikings have really become something of an afterthought.

I actually grew up caring way more about the Vikings than the Gophers. I think part of it was that the Gophers were not on tv outside of the metro very often.

I'm still a big Vikings fan and will watch them when I can, but I don't get upset anymore when they lose. It's different with the Gophers.

(This isn't directed at you Iceland, just more of a general statement)

Isn't it funny how some of these casual fans complain constantly about the lack of tough teams during the non-conference schedule, but when we have four rivals/helmet schools lined up at home, some of these same people will say "why would I go when I know the Gophers will just lose?"

I have a few friends like that. It would just be better if they said I don't really care about the Gophers until the start winning a few tough games.

That's exactly right. They don't get much pleasure out of watching "their"Gophers beat SW LA, UNLV, NMSU etc. but it really KILLED them watching the Gophers lose to NDSU, NMSU or South Dakota State. The close victories against NDSU or SDSU didn't feel good either.

So they rationalize away not buying Non-conference game tickets unless it's a "meaningful" game. Cal, Syracuse, Air Force, USC etc. They hope the Gophers can win but they don't feel so abysmal if they lose because they're not going to feel humiliated the way the would against IA, WI or NE.

Which is why the don't buy tickets for the Conference Schedule either!

Screw "marketing". Win a few big games AT home and those people will come back. How quickly is anybody's guess.

I actually grew up caring way more about the Vikings than the Gophers. I think part of it was that the Gophers were not on tv outside of the metro very often.

I'm still a big Vikings fan and will watch them when I can, but I don't get upset anymore when they lose. It's different with the Gophers.

I am exactly the same way.

Regarding some people complaining about weak non conference schedules, but not turning up for one of the better home conference schedules in recent years, it’s a psychological thing to a great extent. When the Gophers played USC and put the likes of TCU and Oregon State on the schedule, even Syracuse, not to mention the cancelled games with Texas and North Carolina, it showed a certain amount of ambition. They went outside the normal Big Ten line up and found some major conference opponents elsewhere. Even though Nebraska has a name, a legacy, and a good team, the Gophers play them because they have to, not because they want to. It just feels different to people and gets treated that way as a result.

Count me among those who’s found it terribly demoralizing to watch the Gophers get thumped in their own stadium with the visitors making up anywhere from half the crowd to a significant majority. Apart from the losses and alienating feeling of being a stranger in our own house, the patronizing attitude of the Badger and Hawkeye fans has been especially hard to take. I thought the Husker fans were okay on their one visit to The Bank, but found them insufferable during their 1980s heyday. I’ll be at all three games, but completely understand why casual fans might want to skip it. If the Gophers don’t get a signature win before the Wisconsin game and don't enter it bowl bound or needing a win to make one, that game could be especially rough in the stands.

"Screw 'marketing'. Win a few big games AT home and those people will come back."

Yes, and when they fill the stands, the media will begin to cover the Gophers with enthusiasm instead of derision and top recruits will want to come to Minneapolis and the Gophers will win a few big games at home and the fans will fill the stands and the media will notice and top recruits will come to MN and we will win big games and...

Now, how do you get that chain started?

"Screw 'marketing'. Win a few big games AT home and those people will come back."

Yes, and when they fill the stands, the media will begin to cover the Gophers with enthusiasm instead of derision and top recruits will want to come to Minneapolis and the Gophers will win a few big games at home and the fans will fill the stands and the media will notice and top recruits will come to MN and we will win big games and...

Now, how do you get that chain started?

That's what Kill is working on isn't it?

Regarding some people complaining about weak non conference schedules, but not turning up for one of the better home conference schedules in recent years, it’s a psychological thing to a great extent. When the Gophers played USC and put the likes of TCU and Oregon State on the schedule, even Syracuse, not to mention the cancelled games with Texas and North Carolina, it showed a certain amount of ambition. They went outside the normal Big Ten line up and found some major conference opponents elsewhere. Even though Nebraska has a name, a legacy, and a good team, the Gophers play them because they have to, not because they want to. It just feels different to people and gets treated that way as a result.

Count me among those who’s found it terribly demoralizing to watch the Gophers get thumped in their own stadium with the visitors making up anywhere from half the crowd to a significant majority. Apart from the losses and alienating feeling of being a stranger in our own house, the patronizing attitude of the Badger and Hawkeye fans has been especially hard to take. I thought the Husker fans were okay on their one visit to The Bank, but found them insufferable during their 1980s heyday. I’ll be at all three games, but completely understand why casual fans might want to skip it. If the Gophers don’t get a signature win before the Wisconsin game and don't enter it bowl bound or needing a win to make one, that game could be especially rough in the stands.

we have been to the most recent iowa and wisconsin games since we moved back on campus and i have to wholeheartedly disagree that their fan bases made up anywhere from half to a majority of fans in the stadium during those game. not even close. it was a majority of minnesota fans. sorry but i can't ignore the misconception and level of hyperbole in that specific statement. you know i am just trying to be a "realist" and all.

To many people remember the 83-14 loss Father Osbourne put on us. Plus, this State completely blows as far as Gopher football goes. I swear if I see another Viking sign board in front of a bar/sports bar saying " Watch the Vikes here " I'm going to take my Louisville Slugger and smash it in
A thousand pieces.

SKOL!!!

Not even remotely true.

Not even remotely true.

Not for the games at TCF and that's been a HUGE blessing. Badger and Iowa fans were bragging about getting "25,000 plus" in there. 6 to 8,000 is more like it. If you're talking about the years before that he's right. Getting the Gopher Fans that experienced those feelings to come back and risk going through it again has been a high hurdle to overcome. Particularly given how lopsided the rivalries have become.

Beating Iowa again would be a good start. Then beating the damn Badgers, for the first time in 10 years would make a GREAT start. Bet there'd be a lot of people singing the Rouser after that huh? :)

Tried to buy six tickets for the Nebraska game this afternoon, was told they were down to single seat tickets and Club level. If anyone is selling please let me know.

When referring to Badgers and Hawkeyes fans comprising a majority or half the crowd, I had the Metrodome days in mind. A friend of mine who isn't diehard, but is good for about half the home games adamantly refused to attend what turned out to be the 55-0 loss to Iowa on this basis. It would have aggravated him too much. I know of others who felt the same. I don't think Iowa fans will be in the majority tomorrow, but expect a higher percentage in comparison to 2010 and 2011. That same friend is joining me for the game for whatever that's worth.

When referring to Badgers and Hawkeyes fans comprising a majority or half the crowd, I had the Metrodome days in mind. A friend of mine who isn't diehard, but is good for about half the home games adamantly refused to attend what turned out to be the 55-0 loss to Iowa on this basis. It would have aggravated him too much. I know of others who felt the same. I don't think Iowa fans will be in the majority tomorrow, but expect a higher percentage in comparison to 2010 and 2011. That same friend is joining me for the game for whatever that's worth.

That doesn't seem likely. As you say yourself, your friend didn't attend the game in 2008, but is attending this one. More Gopher fans attending lowers the ratio of Gopher fans to Iowa fans will be higher. In 2010, coming into the game, the Gophers were 2-9, and the Hawkeyes were 7-4. In 2011, coming into the game, the Gophers were 1-6, and the Hawkeyes were 5-2. Enthusiasm for the Gophers this season is much higher than it was in 2010 or 2011. We should see a good turnout by Gopher fans, and this also means less tickets available for Hawkeye fans.

Top Bottom