UMASS to FBS, Appy St, Jax St next??

You know whats great about the internet, you don't have to read anything you don't want to read.

The grown ups can go right ahead and talk gopher football but unless your team shows a lot of improvement fast, the grownups are going to be the only Gopher fans left, no kids enjoy cheering for a team that can't go .500

Exactly, I don't have to read what I don't want, which is precisely why I don't go to bisonville. Your true colors are starting to shine through.

UMass athletic department budget (2009 FY) - $21 million
North Dakota Agricultural College department budget (2011 FY) - $14 million

Division I-A scholarship signees, HS/Prep, by state, 2007-2011 (cumulative):

Massachusetts - 50
North Dakota - 1

This is a stupid argument, because NDSU has neither the money, nor the fanbase, nor the local talent base to ever, ever, ever be Division I-A.

At minimum, this discussion has no effect whatsoever on University of Minnesota Golden Gopher football and should not be taking place in this forum.

I'm willing to bet that if NDSU went FBS (DI-A) that quite a few more high school players from ND would become DI-A scholarship signees! :D

Seriously though - what comes first, the chicken or the egg? Is a high school player a DI-A caliber player because he was offered by a DI-A school? Or do DI-A schools offer because he is a DI-A caliber player? It might seem obvious that the latter is true, but in some cases I'm not sure it's so black and white.

Interesting that a guy can come one here supposedly for the sole reason of giving us helpful information on how to ignore fargobison, and then goes on to piss and moan, and begin to sound just like him.

Take your good intentions, along with your other bison fans, and kindly move along.

No no, helpful information on how to deal with Lakesbison. From what I hear he's actually a really nice guy, just a little too passionate behind a keyboard. And also was hoping I'd see what kind of team the U is putting together this year.. Fargobison isn't Lakes(I'm guessing anyway), YOU CAN TELL BY THE LACK OF INCOHERENT SENTENCES AND CAPITAL LETTERS. I don't agree with Fargobison on some of his assessments, if it was Lakes, I'd agree with almost none of them.

FCS schools don't get any bang for the money they spend on football.

It's a total waste, at least in the bizarro world of college publicity and student recruitment.

I told you all before, and I will say it again....I have resigned my elite position as Head Referee for all Pissing Contests! I shall not seek, nor will I accept any future nominations to such a position.

FCS schools don't get any bang for the money they spend on football.

It's a total waste, at least in the bizarro world of college publicity and student recruitment.

Yeah, there are exceptions. Some schools make money on it, good money even, but not like an FBS. FCS can't sell the merchandise or enough tickets usually. However I am pretty sure Montana, Appy St make pretty good money. I don't know figures on it and could be wrong. I think NDSU makes some decent money as well.

I started this thread by showing that a bunch of FCS teams are going to be making the jump to FBS in the near future.

Appy St, Delaware, Villinova, Montana... yes even NDSU will be looking at this in the next 5+ years, not tomorrow, but geesh guys.

NDSU gets plenty of FBS talent from Minnesota already ( marcus williams, billy turner right now)

One of the most underrated horrible decisions Maturi has ever made was to schedule these anklebiting dakota schools and invite them to the big show to get exposure.
Brewster's issues actually losing to them notwithstanding, NDSU, ND, SD, SDSU have leeched off our walk on program with promises of sticking it to the Big Ten homestate team that didn't offer you a schollie, and games back home in the Twin Cities on Big Ten Network.
10 years ago when I graduated HS, nobody south or east of Moorhead even knew NDSU had a football program, much less gave a damn.
Worst though is that all of this fed a fanbase of clueless dakota folk(hybrid wisky/iowa fans) who seriously think NDSU is the next Boise St, and now believe that all of their borderline D1 recruits are legit Big 10 athletes overlooked by everyone but their superior talent scouts.
Now we have to deal with FCS dakota idiots and ridiculous subjects like this.
Rant over.

Mason lost to us dam near as well if not for a blocked FG.

listen, "nobody south or east of Moorhead even knew NDSU had a football program" bull on that, 8 D2 championships and ranked #1 in FCS for 2 years.

give us a break with your holier than thou attitude.

YOU GUYS FORGET THAT NDSU FANS are also MINNESOTA GOPHER fans. dont forget that, seriously.

One of the most underrated horrible decisions Maturi has ever made was to schedule these anklebiting dakota schools and invite them to the big show to get exposure.
Brewster's issues actually losing to them notwithstanding, NDSU, ND, SD, SDSU have leeched off our walk on program with promises of sticking it to the Big Ten homestate team that didn't offer you a schollie, and games back home in the Twin Cities on Big Ten Network.
10 years ago when I graduated HS, nobody south or east of Moorhead even knew NDSU had a football program, much less gave a damn.
Worst though is that all of this fed a fanbase of clueless dakota folk(hybrid wisky/iowa fans) who seriously think NDSU is the next Boise St, and now believe that all of their borderline D1 recruits are legit Big 10 athletes overlooked by everyone but their superior talent scouts.
Now we have to deal with FCS dakota idiots and ridiculous subjects like this.
Rant over.

This kind of post is warranted and not unexpected. This is a U of M fan message board that has a few bad apples from NDSU (one in particular) that take a great deal of pleasure in antagonizing the Gopher posters here.

But...I couldn't help but thinking when reading your post: "would he still be saying this if the U hadn't lost to NDSU, lost to South Dakota, should've lost to NDSU the first time and a 3 point win over South Dakota St"? Peace. :)

This kind of post is warranted and not unexpected. This is a U of M fan message board that has a few bad apples from NDSU (one in particular) that take a great deal of pleasure in antagonizing the Gopher posters here.

But...I couldn't help but thinking when reading your post: "would he still be saying this if the U hadn't lost to NDSU, lost to South Dakota, should've lost to NDSU the first time and a 3 point win over South Dakota St"? Peace. :)

I don't know. If Brewster doesn't lose those games are there any bison fans even paying attention to gopher websites?

In HS, again 10 years ago I seriously equated NDSU with athletic programs like Drake, Augustana, and Moorhead St. They were those schools you kinda hear of because you know some kids that went there, but you never even thought they would be allowed to play a Big Ten school like MN.
Again, Maturi's an idiot for scheduling them, Brewster's a sinner for losing them, and we all suffer now because beating a 1-11 or 3-9 gopher squad is somehow a launchpad for FBS competition.
Ask Western Kentucky how that's going by the way.
Whatever, I hope Kill wins comfortably, bison fans return to fargo forever to rant about eastern washington's playoff cheating and red field, and Kaler kicks Maturi's worthless behind out day 1.

The NCAA needs to make FCS (and D2 for that matter) more attractive. Right now there is just too much incentive for programs to move up to FBS in order to play the cupcake role in football.

Here's my solution:
The NCAA should require average home attendance of 20,000+ and cummulative attendance of 100,000+ to play at the FBS-level. Then enforce it. This would move all of the MAC, WAC (2012) and SunBelt to FCS. Only Temple, UL-Monroe, and Central Mich would still qualify for FBS, and only narrowly. All other current FBS schools meet the requirement, except Nevada (but they should easiliy by 2012 when they begin play in the MWC).

Appalachian State, Montana, and Jackson State would qualify to move up. Old Dominion would come close. But no one else in FCS would even come close to qualifying based on those attendance requirements (including UMass and NDSU).

Then the NCAA could allow FBS teams to count 2 games against FCS opponents towards bowl-eligibility (which, after the change, would actually make schedules harder rather than easier because of how BCS-conference teams often pad their schedules with multiple games against opponents from these three conferences).

The NCAA should also do something to make D2 more attractive than it currently is.

The NCAA needs to make FCS (and D2 for that matter) more attractive. Right now there is just too much incentive for programs to move up to FBS in order to play the cupcake role in football.

Here's my solution:
The NCAA should require average home attendance of 20,000+ and cummulative attendance of 100,000+ to play at the FBS-level. Then enforce it. This would move all of the MAC, WAC (2012) and SunBelt to FCS. Only Temple, UL-Monroe, and Central Mich would still qualify for FBS, and only narrowly. All other current FBS schools meet the requirement, except Nevada (but they should easiliy by 2012 when they begin play in the MWC).

Appalachian State, Montana, and Jackson State would qualify to move up. Old Dominion would come close. But no one else in FCS would even come close to qualifying based on those attendance requirements (including UMass and NDSU).

Then the NCAA could allow FBS teams to count 2 games against FCS opponents towards bowl-eligibility (which, after the change, would actually make schedules harder rather than easier because of how BCS-conference teams often pad their schedules with multiple games against opponents from these three conferences).

The NCAA should also do something to make D2 more attractive than it currently is.

It might be easier to make a new division for the cream, say Big Ten, Pac 12, Big XII, ACC, SEC plus a few more, than to force schools down. Then you could put strict requirements on playing teams outside the new division and restrict new membership.

I don't know. If Brewster doesn't lose those games are there any bison fans even paying attention to gopher websites?

In HS, again 10 years ago I seriously equated NDSU with athletic programs like Drake, Augustana, and Moorhead St. They were those schools you kinda hear of because you know some kids that went there, but you never even thought they would be allowed to play a Big Ten school like MN.
Again, Maturi's an idiot for scheduling them, Brewster's a sinner for losing them, and we all suffer now because beating a 1-11 or 3-9 gopher squad is somehow a launchpad for FBS competition.
Ask Western Kentucky how that's going by the way.
Whatever, I hope Kill wins comfortably, bison fans return to fargo forever to rant about eastern washington's playoff cheating and red field, and Kaler kicks Maturi's worthless behind out day 1.

10 years ago NDSU was associated with Augustana, in the NCC conference (along with St Cloud and Mankato).

Western won the national championship in FCS not too many years ago - and no one who wasn't a WKU alum cared. Now they've built fantastic facility upgrades and raised the investment in the program. The wins will come - once you're in the club you eventually learn what you have to do to compete at some level.

Top Bottom