UGH! Ihnen Suffers Season-Ending Injury

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the U:

University of Minnesota head men's basketball coach Ben Johnson has announced today that junior forward Isaiah Ihnen (Boeblingen, Germany) suffered a season-ending knee injury in practice this week and will undergo surgery.

"We are obviously disappointed for Isaiah, as he had made great strides not only as a player, but also as a leader this summer," Johnson said. "As a valuable member of the team, we will be with him every step of his recovery and can't wait to have him back next year."

Go Gophers!!

Things couldn't possibly get any worse...right??

If we don't add 2 big guys out of thin air, I'm seriously wondering how we'll be able to field a team next season.

Because why not! I appreciate the people who are Gophers/Vikings/Twins/Wild/etc fans and keep positive but man I just dont know how they do it. Everything we do in this state is doomed to fail!

Holy crap you can't make this up at this point. 2 key pieces of what was already going to be a suspect roster going down with season ending injuries before the first game is even played.

By "season ending" is there any loophole, like it's referring to the "Off Season" or "Howard Pulley Season"?

Guessing not...sigh.

Man oh man. Really sorry to hear that. Has to really be hard on him. Hope he recovers well.

Horrible news. Best wishes to Isaiah in his recovery.

Not sure how, but they need to find some size. They needed size before Ihnen got hurt, but unless Fox comes back earlier than expected, we’re screwed.

Remaining healthy players better get in the best shape of their lives. They’re all going to be playing a ton.

This is really really tough. I've been going to every game every season since I was a kid. Gave up my tickets this year just because I didn't feel the cost was justified, and I knew this season was going to be rough. But I was always hoping they'd turn it around quick. I hope Johnson has a plan, and we get some recruits in here, and this is just another bad first season that gets turned around with recruiting. But man, this season is going to be really really unpleasant.

is there time for Pharrel to reclassify to this years class?

Horrible news.

Not sure how, but they need to find some size. They needed size before Ihnen got hurt, but unless Fox comes back earlier than expected, we’re screwed.

Remaining healthy players better get in the best shape of their lives. They’re all going to be playing a ton.
Overall this doesn't really change the outlook for the team, we were going to be a back of the conference team with Ihnen and we will be a back of the conference team without him. Pretty much locks up the idea that we will be playing some form of small ball because this team does not have any real size to speak of.

Overall this doesn't really change the outlook for the team, we were going to be a back of the conference team with Ihnen and we will be a back of the conference team without him. Pretty much locks up the idea that we will be playing some form of small ball because this team does not have any real size to speak of.
I can agree with that. I actually thought they would surprise this year, but at some point depth is going to be an issue in the Big Ten and going with four forwards/centers is not going to spell success. Not that five would - but I expected a big step by Isaiah this year. I understand why Ben wanted to move on from some of the other players like Freeman and Pohto (looking at future more than next year), but it’s going to be ugly.

Good thing Burton was in yesterday to talk about adversity before success! I think Ben probably needs that pep talk more than anybody.

Last edited:

Could we get a waiver to play in the Summit league for just one season. That might draw some interest and we wouldn’t get killed every game.

Over/under wins next year set at 5......Over/under number of fans in attendance in Big Ten play set at 3500.

Basically having no depth at all is showing it’s ugly head early Looks like playing walk ons or how about redshirt of the entire team. We may get killed in every game in the Lake Conference.

Top Bottom