UConn cuts some sports teams

UConn has been struggling financially for several years, I think Geno even gave some money back a couple years ago. I know they have a BB tradition, but when Geno is done, I don't ever see them getting back to their most recent levels.

Appears to be eliminating more men's sports than woman's.

UConn has been struggling financially for several years, I think Geno even gave some money back a couple years ago. I know they have a BB tradition, but when Geno is done, I don't ever see them getting back to their most recent levels.

I suppose a lot depends on who they get to replace him. They’ll always have the name now, just like Tennessee name still draws women’s basketball players no matter who is coaching.

Agreed but just like Pat Summit it's difficult to replace her tenacity. I prefer more parity in any sport and changes in coaching make some of that possible.

The left coast Huskies reduce budget and retain programs.

SEATTLE -- Washington is reducing its overall athletic department operating budget by 15% for the 2020-21 fiscal year and all the school's head coaches have agreed to minimum 5% pay reductions.

Athletic director Jennifer Cohen announced the moves Friday and said they would save the school around $13 million. She reiterated that the school intends to continue offering all 22 of its athletic programs.

Iowa makes compensation and operation cuts-for now.

IOWA CITY, Iowa ––
As part of the University of Iowa Athletics Department plan to mitigate the financial effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, Henry B. and Patricia B. Tippie Director of Athletics Chair Gary Barta announced department budget reductions of approximately $15 million for FY21.

The athletics department budget for FY20 was $124.8 million. The 2020-21 budget was anticipated to be $127.5 million prior to the reductions. With the reductions in compensation and operations, the department’s FY21 budget proposal will be $112.5 million. The $15 million reduction includes nearly $13 million in reduced operating expenses, with the remaining in compensation adjustments.

Specifically, head coaches Lisa Bluder, Tom Brands, Kirk Ferentz and Fran McCaffery, have voluntarily agreed to a one-year, 15 percent base salary reduction or contribution back to the athletics department. Deputy Athletics Director Barbara Burke has agreed to a 25 percent salary reduction, while Barta has reduced his total compensation package by more than 30 percent .
The current reductions assume complete football and basketball seasons with fans in attendance. Any interruptions or reduction in these seasons would lead to more significant cuts.

Top Bottom