UCLA starting OT enters Transfer Portal to play this fall

MN-Moose

Reaction score
And so it begins.

"Offensive tackle Jake Burton, a two-year starter for coach Chip Kelly, announced on Twitter that he will enter the transfer portal in the hopes of catching on somewhere this fall.

"I wish to thank God and my family for all of the love, guidance, and support they have given me during my time at UCLA," he wrote … "I was looking forward to finishing my college career with my Bruin teammates. Due to circumstances beyond anyone's control, that is not possible this year. After much though, I have decided to enter the portal in hopes of gaining the opportunity to play football this fall."

Ben Bolch of the Los Angeles Times reported on Twitter that Burton is targeting SEC and ACC schools as his transfer destination.

The NCAA's new blanket eligibility waiver issued last week means that he can play as a redshirt senior in either 2020 or 2021."

I guess he figures that the ACC/SEC are going to play no matter what, just possibly postponed to winter/spring, in which case he’d be in the same situation.

It’s not like anything else can possibly go wrong from the change.

I don't know anything about this guy and whether he will play in the NFL, but unless a player is borderline NFL and wants to get more tape, why else transfer? Wouldn't you just get some graduate credits in Westwood and play when the season happens?

It’s going to be pretty funny when he transfers to an ACC school and then the ACC cancels the season

It’s logistically pretty difficult to learn that your season is cancelled Aug 10 and then transfer to a new team and be ready for a season in a month. I can’t believe anyone would have predicted that. The conversation would be different if the B1G would have cancelled in March.

It’s logistically pretty difficult to learn that your season is cancelled Aug 10 and then transfer to a new team and be ready for a season in a month. I can’t believe anyone would have predicted that. The conversation would be different if the B1G would have cancelled in March.

Are you saying that no Gophers have transferred because they haven't had time?

Are you saying that no Gophers have transferred because they haven't had time?
Yes - absolutely. 100% yes.

Coney Durr, St Juste, Sam Schlueter, Dew- Treadway, Conner Olson and the other seniors obviously have NFL aspirations. They’ve already been in college 4, 5 or even 6 years. I doubt many of them are relishing the chance to come back to college for yet another year, and I’ll predict a few of them have played their last game at the U. These guys also need a season so they can show the NFL what they can do. It’s foolish to think some of these guys wouldn’t have transferred if they had enough time, and I wouldn’t blame them one bit.

Yup.
it would be tough to sell to your team bringing in an outside and plugging him in 3 weeks later benching some guy you recruited who has been busting his tail for the team for 3-5 years.

transfers always happen but this close to the season you risk throwing off some team chemistry which is pretty important IMO

Coney Durr, St Juste, Sam Schlueter, Dew- Treadway, Conner Olson and the other seniors obviously have NFL aspirations. They’ve already been in college 4, 5 or even 6 years. I doubt many of them are relishing the chance to come back to college for yet another year, and I’ll predict a few of them have played their last game at the U. These guys also need a season so they can show the NFL what they can do. It’s foolish to think some of these guys wouldn’t have transferred if they had enough time, and I wouldn’t blame them one bit.

Or maybe they don't want to transfer for something so uncertain?

Maybe they realize there is as good of a chance of getting spring games as completing a fall season?

Or maybe they are bought into the program and culture and would like to try and win the Big Ten West?

I think the benefit of staying outweighs leaving. The B1G is planning on playing in the Spring. Right? They don't have to adjust to a new system or run the chance of not being a perfect fit elsewhere. There is no guarantee that the SEC and ACC may still end up cancelling their seasons or delaying it. There is also no guarantee that they will crack the starting lineup.

Those that are fifth year seniors or graduate students can get their masters degree started or paid for.

When they do play in the Spring, watch out for huge surprises by the veterans and some of the young athletes.

I think the benefit of staying outweighs leaving. The B1G is planning on playing in the Spring. Right? They don't have to adjust to a new system or run the chance of not being a perfect fit elsewhere. There is no guarantee that the SEC and ACC may still end up cancelling their seasons or delaying it. There is also no guarantee that they will crack the starting lineup.

Those that are fifth year seniors or graduate students can get their masters degree started or paid for.

When they do play in the Spring, watch out for huge surprises by the veterans and some of the young athletes.
You seem awfully sure that they are playing in the spring. I asked before, how can we say that playing in January, indoors, is going to be so much infinitely more safe than playing this November outdoors? Seriously?

Other than the election in November, which is obviously driving a huge part of this discussion, just what is it exactly that we expect to change dramatically from Oct-Nov-Dec football games to January? God is going to come down from the heavens and lift this plague from us all in one fell swoop?

^^^ vaccine results will be known by then, as you understand perfectly well. Dishonest schmuck

Luckily for us sane people, you convince literally no one, who isn't already in your denialist/hoaxer cult.

Lots of unknowns.

Possible he gets in one or three or ... no games.

Then his team plays later ...

Or he gets to play and it works out ...

Thus is 2020.

You seem awfully sure that they are playing in the spring. I asked before, how can we say that playing in January, indoors, is going to be so much infinitely more safe than playing this November outdoors? Seriously?

Other than the election in November, which is obviously driving a huge part of this discussion, just what is it exactly that we expect to change dramatically from Oct-Nov-Dec football games to January? God is going to come down from the heavens and lift this plague from us all in one fell swoop?

"Right?" means not too sure.

As noted, it is no sure thing that the P3 conferences will be able to play this fall - let alone complete a fall season. If someone was able to transfer - AND be eligible to play immediately - and then, the season gets scrubbed after 2 or 3 games, would that be worth it?

Beyond that - on the "Gophers Transferring" -
if players like where they're at, they will be less likely to transfer. if a player has bought into the system and bought into Fleck, are they going to bail over a chance to maybe get a few more games on tape before the draft?

Shoot, the QB from NDSU has played one full season, and he's being pegged as a possible 1st-round draft choice.

if you're good, the NFL knows about you and will find you.

Top Bottom