UCLA coach DeShaun Foster with a really awkward Big Ten media day opening statement (video)

I think it was less "desperation" and more "this is what we can get for the money we're willing to expend right now... save up some B1G money for a bit and then see where we are".
It may be what money that they have right now. I think that its also tough to hire when candidates consider the cost of living, especially housing, in places like LA. Its likely that candidates find themselves saying, "the pay is not great and for what it costs to live here, the pay sucks. No thanks." I had a student a while back whose dad was an assistant hoops coach at the U of Hawaii. He had been on three consecutive staffs there because they had no hope of getting an assistant to move to Honolulu for what they could pay. Foster is already there, so he's probably Ok with pay raise for being head coach.

I kinda like this guy:

Important rule in issues/crisis management - "walk towards the crisis" - obviously this wasn't a "crisis" per se but by poking a little fun at yourself, it immediately diffuses the situation. Smart move, move on, win games and fans will be happy. Lose games (like October 12) and he won't last no matter what shirt he's wearing.

Go Gophers!!

Important rule in issues/crisis management - "walk towards the crisis" - obviously this wasn't a "crisis" per se but by poking a little fun at yourself, it immediately diffuses the situation. Smart move, move on, win games and fans will be happy. Lose games (like October 12) and he won't last no matter what shirt he's wearing.

Go Gophers!!
It's a good lesson for the players too.

PJ talks about failure being part of progress.

You do your thing, you fail, you own it, you improve your best.

Top Bottom