UCF’s Josh Heupel is finalizing a deal to be the next coach at Tennessee.

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score

I wanted to discuss this outside the usual PJ conversations and wonder ...

So is this because Tenn seems like they're setup for some serious sanctions?

Because this is not a super obvious hire and even UCF fans seem, kinda happy with it (he has a big buyout).

AD already knows him and clearly likes him.

but that’s about what I see as the high end

I also think Tennessee isn’t the job some think it is. You’re the third best program in the East (at best) and you have to play Alabama every year. You aren’t in as good of recruiting territory as Florida, Georgia, or South Carolina. Your fan base has outsized expectations. It is the Nebraska of the big ten

I also think Tennessee isn’t the job some think it is. You’re the third best program in the East (at best) and you have to play Alabama every year. You aren’t in as good of recruiting territory as Florida, Georgia, or South Carolina. Your fan base has outsized expectations. It is the Nebraska of the big ten
If they can build the foundation and get to 5-3 in conference they will be good to go. Fans have to realize that Georgia and Florida are a many steps ahead. Goal is to be best of the rest. Doesn’t help having Alabama as permanent cross over through 2025.

If they can build the foundation and get to 5-3 in conference they will be good to go. Fans have to realize that Georgia and Florida are a many steps ahead. Goal is to be best of the rest. Doesn’t help having Alabama as permanent cross over through 2025.
“Fans have to realize” is not going to work. They simply won’t. Just like Nebraska n

“Fans have to realize” is not going to work. They simply won’t. Just like Nebraska n
Not realizing doesn't seem to have made Neb better so the outcome is likely the same ;)

And to be clear I think Tenn fans have experienced so much dumpster fire... they know.. they might not act like it... but they know.

Not realizing doesn't seem to have made Neb better so the outcome is likely the same ;)

And to be clear I think Tenn fans have experienced so much dumpster fire... they know.. they might not act like it... but they know.

Maybe. But they've been relevant more recently than Nebraska, I think.

I am pretty sure they have Alabama as a permanent crossover forever

I'm guessing that a lot of names came before Heupel and said no. Landed on him as an up and coming coach that the AD knows to save face

Maybe. But they've been relevant more recently than Nebraska, I think.
Nope
Nebraska played in a conference title game in 2012
Tennessee not since 2004

Nebraska played in a national title game in 2001
Tennessee 1998

And now they both have former UCF coaches.

Well that is an underwhelming hire. UT fans had their sights set very high, seems they are pretty upset now. Tennessee is gonna Tennessee I guess.

The google search said it was in their conference scheduling agreement through 2025.

Well that is an underwhelming hire. UT fans had their sights set very high, seems they are pretty upset now. Tennessee is gonna Tennessee I guess.
Not sure they can pull a Schiano to Tenn type move this time...

I wanted to discuss this outside the usual PJ conversations and wonder ...

So is this because Tenn seems like they're setup for some serious sanctions?

Because this is not a super obvious hire and even UCF fans seem, kinda happy with it (he has a big buyout).
Thought they hired Jared Lorenzen for a second.

Go 5-3 in the sec every year and you get fired in year 5

The google search said it was in their conference scheduling agreement through 2025.
Yeah but it predates their current scheduling agreement.

the SEC has shuffled locked games before (right after re-alignment) but I don’t anticipate that specific game changing in 2025 unless their whole scheduling model changes

But it will put them in an attractive spot for a top coach.
Yeah but I’m talking from a taking the job right now perspective

If Tennessee was to go 9-3 and finish top 20 5 years in a row, they would be able to pull a better coach in their next hire. But that doesn’t help the current hire

Yeah but I’m talking from a taking the job right now perspective

If Tennessee was to go 9-3 and finish top 20 5 years in a row, they would be able to pull a better coach in their next hire. But that doesn’t help the current hire
This AD wouldn't fire the guy that finished top 20 5 years in a row. Their AD issues is what has destroyed the program.

This AD wouldn't fire the guy that finished top 20 5 years in a row. Their AD issues is what has destroyed the program.
Maybe not. Excluding odd Covid year that’s pretty much what Harbaugh has done at Michigan and the National storyline is that Michigan is making a mistake resigning him.

if Huepel doesn’t win the East in the next 5 years, he is gone. Guaranteed

Maybe not. Excluding odd Covid year that’s pretty much what Harbaugh has done at Michigan and the National storyline is that Michigan is making a mistake resigning him.

if Huepel doesn’t win the East in the next 5 years, he is gone. Guaranteed
Harbaugh is a bit of a loose cannon, so I think that is why people are a bit skeptical. Tennessee will have to see what the penalties are for their infractions. I agree Huepel will have to win significantly to stay around.

Tennessee also has seen drastic shifts since their last title. They now have an NFL, NBA, and NHL franchise. Nashville's population is growing at a rate much faster than Knoxville. The landscape of Tennessee is much different and has an impact on how programs operate. How has Gopher football been since the Vikings started here? It all factors into the equation.

Yeah I just don’t think Tennessee is THAT good of a job right now.
People act like it’s a top 10 job. I think it’s more like a 20-35 job

With all the facility upgrades, recruiting base, recent success, etc., at UCF, especially when compared with Tennessee’s recent struggles, a person could make a case that the UCF job is better than the Tennessee job.

With all the facility upgrades, recruiting base, recent success, etc., at UCF, especially when compared with Tennessee’s recent struggles, a person could make a case that the UCF job is better than the Tennessee job.
Definitely power 5 worthy. Still surprised the Big XII doesn't want the Fla market.

I like Josh Heupel, mainly because he's from SD and he was fun to watch as a high school QB. He's also young, has been a good coordinator, and could surprise some people while being thrown in a difficult situation.

Bill O'Brien would have been my choice if he was interested. Even though he was a terrible NFL GM, what he did at Penn St in two years while they were sanctioned was pretty impressive.

This is a suicide job. Not only does Josh Heupel have to worry about the impending NCAA sanctions, he has to deal with the impatient unruly fans who forced Greg Schiano to change his mind about going there.

Folks are right here when they say Tennessee is the Nebraska of the SEC.

I hope Heupel secures a huge guaranteed buyout for him and his coaches included. That will be a good selling point when recruiting assistant coaches. They all need a parachute.

Top Bottom