UAB becomes 1st Division I football team to join players association

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per ESPN:

UAB football players say their entire roster has signed up for Athletes.org, making them the first Division I football team to publicly join the players' association. They were introduced to the group by an unexpected source: their head coach.

Trent Dilfer gathered his team for a voluntary meeting in mid-April to encourage them to prepare for a future when college athletes might be able to negotiate for a larger share of their sport's revenue.

"They're going to have a seat at the table," Dilfer told ESPN. "I wanted to make sure I helped pour gasoline on something that is going to happen no matter what. I might as well use my influence to help it happen faster on behalf of our players."

Dilfer introduced the team to Athletes.org, one of several companies attempting to organize athletes for potential revenue sharing discussions. UAB players told ESPN every member of the team signed up to join the organization after hearing its pitch.

The team has no plans to bargain with their school at this point, but their decision to join en masse is symbolic of the growing momentum for players to organize. Quarterback Jacob Zeno said the move shows the players' growing interest in having a voice in a new model for college sports.

"In a way, we've been cheated out of money, and decisions are being made behind our back," Zeno told ESPN. "It's not really fair because we do so much for the sport, for the school and the conference. We should at least deserve to know what's going on and what decisions are being made."

Go Gophers!!

Doesn't anyone see the folly in all this? It will never be enough. And the athletes, who come and go every year, won't care about long term health of the sport or the schools. So sure, you can give them more money, but it will NEVER BE ENOUGH.

How will a school pay football players without violating Title IX?

How will a school pay football players without violating Title IX?
Don't they just have to provide the opportunity for females to also earn money? Then if there's no revenue from that sport to be earned, that's still compliant with title 9 because the opportunity was there.

Equal opportunity, not equal results. Just like if the women took in more money than the men, and hence the women earned more, that wouldn't violate title 9 either.

In the long run, I think a players association is a better outcome than the totally uncontrollable transfer/NIL era we are in. The colleges can negotiate terms in exchange for money and those terms will likely limit the non-stop transferring and portal entry going on now. More like the pro leagues which are much more stable.

Leave it to the school that had their program disbanded by their own state legislature (the geniuses who run America's 49th best state) to be the ones to join a union first. Makes sense.

Doesn't anyone see the folly in all this? It will never be enough. And the athletes, who come and go every year, won't care about long term health of the sport or the schools. So sure, you can give them more money, but it will NEVER BE ENOUGH.
The schools should've taken this into consideration about 40 years ago when they started raking in shit tons of money in revenue without considering a way to divert some of that insane cash to the young men who were literally putting their future health and welfare at stake whenever they put their bodies on the line for our entertainment on weekends. I get your sentiment, but the greed from student athletes thing rings extremely hollow because administrative greed is what created this.

Top Bottom