U2 at TCF Bank Stadium

Omega015

Reaction score
I got word from someone that people may be doing noise monitoring at the game on Saturday in preparation for a possible U2 concert at TCF Bank Stadium next year. They also may be going to a U2 show somewhere else to measure the band's noise.

So, apparently U2 is the big name they are trying to book.

I have also heard that they may be playing here in 2010 as well.

That has been rumored for awhile....not sure if they would book shows through the midwest again.

They are at Soldier Field on Sunday.

I could be wrong here but I doubt U2 would book TCF Bank Stadium simply because of the smaller size. Other stadiums U2 is play include FedEx Field (91704) Giants Stadium (78741) New Cowboys Stadium (80000+) Oklahoma Memorial Stadium (82112) and the Rose Bowl (91136). Each of those stadium hold 25000+ more people than TCF. I will admit they did play UNLV's Sam Boyd Stadium (36800) but it is Vegas.

I will admit it would be a great get for the U and TCF Bank Stadium. They would easily sell out. But I think they would rather go to place with more capacity i.e. the Metrodome. Any way I hope that U2 would come to TCF it would be wonderful for the University.

I will admit it would be a great get for the U and TCF Bank Stadium. They would easily sell out. But I think they would rather go to place with more capacity i.e. the Metrodome. Any way I hope that U2 would come to TCF it would be wonderful for the University.

I'm no expert at large scale concerts, I much prefer my live music in a club setting.

However, if U2 sets up in the open end zone, they lose very few seats behind them. If they set up in the end zone in the Metrodome, who wants to sit in the seats behind them?

Would the capacity really be that much different?

I could be wrong here but I doubt U2 would book TCF Bank Stadium simply because of the smaller size. Other stadiums U2 is play include FedEx Field (91704) Giants Stadium (78741) New Cowboys Stadium (80000+) Oklahoma Memorial Stadium (82112) and the Rose Bowl (91136). Each of those stadium hold 25000+ more people than TCF. I will admit they did play UNLV's Sam Boyd Stadium (36800) but it is Vegas.

The sound quality or very lack thereof at the Dome should wash away any benefit of the added seats. An extra $10 per ticket could make-up the money difference. All the "get rid of the old ticket-holder" fans may want the Jonas Brothers anyway!:p

My source would be one of the people doing the noise monitoring and they said it was for a U2 show, so it's definitely U2 being targeted.

I also read on a Dave Matthews Band website that DMB is also interested in either TCF Bank Stadium or Target Field next year.

I also read on a Dave Matthews Band website that DMB is also interested in either TCF Bank Stadium or Target Field next year.

I can see that. They played a show in Detroit Lakes this summer. There is a lot of demand in the MN/ND/SD area and no great outdoor venue near a metro area to play in (though as a DL kid I'd be glad to see them keep playing there every year).

Per my source in the athletic department, I can confirm U2 is likely coming to TCF Bank Stadium some time in 2010.

Beer!

Why would the U and bands be looking into a concert at TCF when beer will never be sold there as many on this site have posted? U2 wouldn't play at TCF if beer wasn't sold. Too much $$.

It sounds like the U must be pretty confident that the legislature will change the beer law or the U may cave and allow beer at all seats in 2010.

If I remember correctly, U2 was a disaster in the Metrodome. And that's why they skipped the Twin Cities ever since.

Besides U2... Bob Dylan or Prince could quickly sell-out the stadium the way Springsteen sells out stadiums in the Northeast. Not sure anyone else could without making tickets a lot cheaper than they would be at the X or Target Center.

If I remember correctly, U2 was a disaster in the Metrodome. And that's why they skipped the Twin Cities ever since.

U2 came to play at the Target Center a few years ago. Target Center is almost as bad as the Metrodome for music..

Why would the U and bands be looking into a concert at TCF when beer will never be sold there as many on this site have posted? U2 wouldn't play at TCF if beer wasn't sold. Too much $$.

It sounds like the U must be pretty confident that the legislature will change the beer law or the U may cave and allow beer at all seats in 2010.

Obviously, they can't forbid alcohol for some events and allow it for others.:rolleyes:

I'm no expert at large scale concerts, I much prefer my live music in a club setting.

However, if U2 sets up in the open end zone, they lose very few seats behind them. If they set up in the end zone in the Metrodome, who wants to sit in the seats behind them?

Would the capacity really be that much different?

I'm not sure U2 can setup in the end zone on the current leg of this tour. The stage they are currently using is specifically designed to go in the middle of a stadium, though somewhat offset to one end, and they are doing concerts "in the round" with video all around the stage. The stage is really pretty amazing and awfully large. Now, having said all of that, U2 usually does two legs through the states, one in stadiums and one in smaller arenas. If they are looking at this for 2010, this could be on the second leg where they have abandonded the large stage setup they are currently using in favor of something more suitable for arenas. A smaller setup might still work in an outdoor stadium the size of TCF.

Snagging U2 for a concert at the New Brickhouse as part of a second North America leg of their 360 tour? SWEET!

As a reminder, I present you with the opening of what may be the greatest live rock-and-roll concert ever.

U2 - Zoo Station

I love using that version of "Zoo Station" as a "Get pumped up" sort of opening.

I'm pretty sure the alcohol law only applied to Gopher games. The U can and is serving alcohol in the DQ room for private events. I'm betting the same would be true of concerts. The U's own ban only applies to Gopher games as well.

U2Gopher is right on here. With this tour U2 can't play arena's meaning the X and the Target Center are out which leaves you with TCF and the Dome. And honestly I forgot how horrible the Dome is for sound-I guess I just lost it in all the other things that suck there.

U2 doesn't have to worry about selling out-they would sell out anyplace, anywhere, anytime. That's a pretty small group of bands/artists that can do that. Dylan could here, Prince could, I think the Boss could, the Stones could, DMB could, not many after that. Overall the more big name play TCF it can only help the U overall and in particullar the Athletics Department and Golden Gopher Football.

2 shows - watch for it...

Hey everyone. I'm new here.

I'm a Gopher seasons ticket holder, AND I'm a member of the U2 fan club that lets you get tickets in advance. My wife went to Chicago this tour, and we've been watching the ticket sales go on.

They release a swath of shows strategically. about 10-15 cities. Once the first show sells out for a particular city, they open up a second show. Toronto got 2, New Jersey got 2, Chicago got 2. Always the second show was announced only after the first sold out.

The TCF Bank show will sell out in about 10 minutes, so I will not be 1 bit surprised if they release a second show afterwards. If the TCF Bank show has 4 or more days before or after the next U2 concert on the tour, then it's likely there will be an option for a second show.

So suddenly it's not 55,000 fans, it's 110,000 fans. Big difference.
This is only my opinion. !!! TRY TO GET TICKETS AS IF THERE WILL ONLY BE 1 SHOW... !!!

But if it works out as I hope - That's 2 shows that you can take TO THE BANK!

Top Bottom