U regents approve Fleck’s updated contract after extended discussion

MisterGopher

Reaction score
P.J. Fleck's amended contract, which will earn the Gophers football coach an additional $5.7 in retention bonuses should he stay with Minnesota through the 2029 season, was approved by the Board of Regents on Friday.

However, the contract didn't pass by a 10-2 vote until after the regents had notable discussions on the value of big-money college football and a coach making $6 million per year while students and academic staff members struggle to make ends meet.

P.J. Fleck's amended contract, which will earn the Gophers football coach an additional $5.7 in retention bonuses should he stay with Minnesota through the 2029 season, was approved by the Board of Regents on Friday.

However, the contract didn't pass by a 10-2 vote until after the regents had notable discussions on the value of big-money college football and a coach making $6 million per year while students and academic staff members struggle to make ends meet.

Life is not fair. I worked all through college at some interesting jobs. Glad I did for the great experiences.

Big time college athletics has its own revenue stream, which has little to do with academic performance income and expenditures. Regents trying to relate the two have an odd perspective.

Life is not fair. I worked all through college at some interesting jobs. Glad I did for the great experiences.

Big time college athletics has its own revenue stream, which has little to do with academic performance income and expenditures. Regents trying to relate the two have an odd perspective.
It's likely they're jealous that a career path they think is below their choice provides so much more financially.

An additional $5.7 dollars?

"Go buy yourself a happy meal, kid"

Even academics are capable of this backward thinking, self pity, and illogical understanding of supply n demand.

The BOR is merely a rubber stamp on these matters. Market forces drive these decisions. Coach Kill was honest enough to admit that high level college football programs are in the entertainment business. If coaches were paid like ordinary teaching professors, their salaries would be a fraction of the FB staff. Lucrative TV contracts and money are the drivers here. Keep in mind that Warmath was paid around $35K while winning BIG and national titles and the Rose Bowl.

The BOR is merely a rubber stamp on these matters. Market forces drive these decisions. Coach Kill was honest enough to admit that high level college football programs are in the entertainment business. If coaches were paid like ordinary teaching professors, their salaries would be a fraction of the FB staff. Lucrative TV contracts and money are the drivers here. Keep in mind that Warmath was paid around $35K while winning BIG and national titles and the Rose Bowl.
$35,000 in 1960, when Warmath won the national title, had purchasing power of about $364,000 today. 6 million dollars today equals roughly
$564,000 64 years ago. Come to your own conclusions.

Good for the regents, if you want D1 football, this is reality and PJ is still middle of the pack pay wise
Would've been middle of the pack and still locked up for several years under the old contract, too.

But sure, give him a raise for one of his worst seasons. Makes sense

Would've been middle of the pack and still locked up for several years under the old contract, too.

At first look, I would have waited a year too. But the new contract did raise his buyout fee for the next few years, making it unlikely he’ll jump ship, and without a huge raise.

I just wish they would have added much more to the assistant’s salary pool. More like $2 million instead of $500k. It doesn’t have to be used, but should be there to attract and top coordinators and key assistants.

At first look, I would have waited a year too. But the new contract did raise his buyout fee for the next few years, making it unlikely he’ll jump ship, and without a huge raise.

I just wish they would have added much more to the assistant’s salary pool. More like $2 million instead of $500k. It doesn’t have to be used, but should be there to attract and top coordinators and key assistants.
It also protects PJ immensely at the U’s expense if he fails again next year and the year after. There was no sense of urgency to get this done. He sucked in ‘23 pretty much in all areas surrounding game day prep and game day.

Yeah, I don’t think PJ is a risk to get hired away. Two to three years ago, yup. His agent might say otherwise.

These ADs just go through the motions they learn at AD school.

Looks like Gulley and Turner voted no, the former more on grandstanding grounds. Upset about tuition, living costs for students. Pragmatism is lost on the young. Turner questioning Coyle mirrored a federal judge questioning the NCAA about promoting a level playing field. The nuance is lost, doesn’t quite “get it”. Coyle did make an interesting remark that football now funds 80% of department operations.

His bit starts at 35:00

Last edited:

I worry that the administration/bor might head back to a negative stance towards supporting the key athletic programs. Not a good time to waiver on whether Fleck and his assistants especially need to be paid at least in the middle of the conference..

Coyle did make an interesting remark that football now funds 80% of department operations.
This is trying to say it like "80% of the money the Big Ten sends to us, is because of football".

Not that that's wrong, but feels more than a bit dishonest in the way it was used here -- ie. to justify Fleck's raise.

Literally any warm body sitting in the football HC chair gets the exact same amount of money from the Big Ten.

This is trying to say it like "80% of the money the Big Ten sends to us, is because of football".

Not that that's wrong, but feels more than a bit dishonest in the way it was used here -- ie. to justify Fleck's raise.

Literally any warm body sitting in the football HC chair gets the exact same amount of money from the Big Ten.

Agreed. They could hire any random high school coach from Red Wing, New London-Spicer, Fertile-Beltrami and generate nearly the same revenue. On the fringes of revenue generation PJ has surely had some level of positive effect fielding a competitive program for the majority of his seasons. Attracts butts, donations, maybe even student applicants (?). The program has been controversy-free save for Jason Stahl typing away at his corner desk and that was purely hearsay.

So, does PJ generate enough extra revenue to justify his compensation package. Yeah, probably. He’s also done a really good job overall. Was an increased buyout a good idea? Nope. But who knows, maybe he kills it in 2024-2025 and Coyle looks like Nostradamus.

Agreed. They could hire any random high school coach from Red Wing, New London-Spicer, Fertile-Beltrami and generate nearly the same revenue. On the fringes of revenue generation PJ has surely had some level of positive effect fielding a competitive program for the majority of his seasons. Attracts butts, donations, maybe even student applicants (?). The program has been controversy-free save for Jason Stahl typing away at his corner desk and that was purely hearsay.

So, does PJ generate enough extra revenue to justify his compensation package. Yeah, probably. He’s also done a really good job overall. Was an increased buyout a good idea? Nope. But who knows, maybe he kills it in 2024-2025 and Coyle looks like Nostradamus.
Think you pretty much nailed it.

In other words: I had absolutely no problem with the compensation package that Fleck had built up for himself going into the 2023 season. He had earned it. He did not earn a raise for the 2024 season.

I like that the buyout has increased. Now that we’ve actually seen — for the first time since he’s been here? — a legitimate threat of another P5 trying to hire him away, that was a solid requirement for the new extension. I just disagree it should’ve included a raise.

I doubt UCLA’s pitch could’ve included much, if any, increase in pay. I would think it was solely around a change of scenery, better weather, and much better (hypothetical) recruiting grounds.

you need an athletic director who understands the market and the difference between a schools interest and a coaches agent working overtime to link his client to every major college opening coming after a disaster of a season that was driven by injuries and a rigid unwillingness to "change his best."

Think you pretty much nailed it.

In other words: I had absolutely no problem with the compensation package that Fleck had built up for himself going into the 2023 season. He had earned it. He did not earn a raise for the 2024 season.

I like that the buyout has increased. Now that we’ve actually seen — for the first time since he’s been here? — a legitimate threat of another P5 trying to hire him away, that was a solid requirement for the new extension. I just disagree it should’ve included a raise.

I doubt UCLA’s pitch could’ve included much, if any, increase in pay. I would think it was solely around a change of scenery, better weather, and much better (hypothetical) recruiting grounds.
There was zero interest at UCLA to hire PJ Fleck.

$35,000 in 1960, when Warmath won the national title, had purchasing power of about $364,000 today. 6 million dollars today equals roughly

My conclusion is if Warmath had the benefit of the type of media deals proportionate to today, he likely would be making as much or more than PJ in 2024 dollars. His income is equal to FCS coaches who don't have the benefit of media money.

Looks like Gulley and Turner voted no, the former more on grandstanding grounds. Upset about tuition, living costs for students. Pragmatism is lost on the young. Turner questioning Coyle mirrored a federal judge questioning the NCAA about promoting a level playing field. The nuance is lost, doesn’t quite “get it”. Coyle did make an interesting remark that football now funds 80% of department operations.

His bit starts at 35:00

Yeah, they should be pretty embarrassed, especially when it was pointed out that the funding for the payment to the head coach and everything they were talking about come out of completely different buckets. Willfully ignorant and should be disqualifying.

There was zero interest at UCLA to hire PJ Fleck.
A. You of all people would have zero idea either way.
B. If the reports of their AD Jarmond flying to Mexico to meet with Fleck are true (no idea why or how anyone would make that up), there was definitely at least some interest.

Since PJ was hired the Gopher football program has more wins, better rated recruits, increase in Academic achievements, bowl wins, NFL drafted players. Bringing honor, integrity, respect, honesty, values, morals into a program that was severely lacking. Why the hatred toward a HC that fans, the University & state can be proud of? Some people have very short memories. PJ gives us energy, commitment, progress, results & hope for the future.

Burns mentioned on his pod Fleck will receive 65% of his remaining base, supplemental, and retention compensation if fired. I believe that’s been a feature all along. The difference with the most recent contracts and amendment are the additional years, an escalating retention bonus, and increasing base and supplemental. That would equate to ~22M this calendar year and ~18M before the end of 2025. Obviously nobody (ok most here) wants him fired and want the team to out perform. Burns’ opinion is: we’re stuck with PJ hell or high water even a 0 win campaign so let’s think positive.

Along those lines, the relatively low assistant coach salary pool (versus Big Ten peers) could be a problem with attracting proven coaches, or keeping them. I’m not sure if Coyle or PJ have been asked about their strategy there.

Page 55

I was going to check that myself, thanks for the legwork.

Coyle Nostradamus, Nostradamus Coyle....are they the same person? Have you ever seen them in a room together?

Burns mentioned on his pod Fleck will receive 65% of his remaining base, supplemental, and retention compensation if fired. I believe that’s been a feature all along. The difference with the most recent contracts and amendment are the additional years, an escalating retention bonus, and increasing base and supplemental. That would equate to ~22M this calendar year and ~18M before the end of 2025. Obviously nobody (ok most here) wants him fired and want the team to out perform. Burns’ opinion is: we’re stuck with PJ hell or high water even a 0 win campaign so let’s think positive.

Along those lines, the relatively low assistant coach salary pool (versus Big Ten peers) could be a problem with attracting proven coaches, or keeping them. I’m not sure if Coyle or PJ have been asked about their strategy there.

Page 55

So you’re saying if an “opportunity” arises to fire for cause, well, you never know when such “opportunities” are going to come again.

*cough*NW and MSU*cough*

Top Bottom