U Piloting "Credit Up" Ticket Program with Men's/Women's Hockey, Could Expand to Other Programs in 2024

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the U:

Minnesota men's and women's hockey announced a new ticket return initiative, Credit Up! for the 2023-24 season.

Credit Up! is available to season ticket holders of both men's and women's hockey teams in the Gopher Ticket Utilization Program. The new program allows fans to return their tickets to the athletics department in exchange for credit that can be applied towards season ticket renewal or converted into a tax-deductible donation to support Gopher Athletics.

Season Ticket Renewal
  • Apply the credit towards season ticket renewals for the same sport the following year
  • Shortly after the conclusion of the regular season, any accumulated credit that is not donated will be applied to the renewal application for the next season
  • Please note, that if fans choose not to renew, this credit will be converted to a charitable donation
  • No refund will be issued

Tax-Deductible Donation
  • Convert the credit into a tax-deductible donation to further support Gopher Athletics
  • Credit amount will be directed toward the applicable sport's enhancement fund
  • Season ticket holders will receive Gopher Loyalty Program points for their charitable contribution
Once tickets are returned through the Credit Up! plan, the athletic department will strive to get them into the hands of fans seeking to attend the event. This may include reselling the tickets to other fans, fulfilling donation requests, or partnering with local organizations like Tickets for Kids.

The Credit Up! program will debut during the 2023-24 men's and women's hockey seasons. If successful, it will be expanded to other programs in the subsequent year (2024-25).

Go Gophers!!

Good for avoiding no shows maybe? Able then to at least try to get some butts in those seats?

I’ve heard of schools that sold “too many” season tickets and then had issues with no shows for lots of games and at the same time fans who wanted to go but couldn’t.

Good for avoiding no shows maybe? Able then to at least try to get some butts in those seats?

I’ve heard of schools that sold “too many” season tickets and then had issues with no shows for lots of games and at the same time fans who wanted to go but couldn’t.
And on top it either keeps you locked in for future season tickets or just getting a tax write off, while making the U more money off resales and improving the atmosphere if there’s more butts in seats. Counter is that does this cause more to sell low tier games and they would’ve guilted themselves into going to (well I’ve already got the tickets) and they go unused? Guess we’ll see but seems like a good experiment with what should be an extremely high demand ticket again this year

And on top it either keeps you locked in for future season tickets or just getting a tax write off, while making the U more money off resales and improving the atmosphere if there’s more butts in seats. Counter is that does this cause more to sell low tier games and they would’ve guilted themselves into going to (well I’ve already got the tickets) and they go unused? Guess we’ll see but seems like a good experiment with what should be an extremely high demand ticket again this year
If you go to those hockey games you'd know that there's hardly anyone (if anyone at all) who is guilting themselves into going

If you go to those hockey games you'd know that there's hardly anyone (if anyone at all) who is guilting themselves into going

Seriously though the fans there when I went were all really into the game.

Seems like a great idea. I wonder what the timeframe ahead of the game will be to return the tickets?

That has changed a lot over the last couple of years actually. Winning brings fans to the building.

This isnt quite true. They had several sellouts against mid-tier conference opponents this season.

I definitely am there for those as well. Just was trying to come up with some theoretical way this doesn’t work out well for the U in more revenue and more butts in seats. Seems like a win for all

I definitely am there for those as well. Just was trying to come up with some theoretical way this doesn’t work out well for the U in more revenue and more butts in seats. Seems like a win for all
I think this is a great idea. A way for the department to get more butts in the seats and also possibly get some more donations.

This isnt quite true. They had several sellouts against mid-tier conference opponents this season.
They sold out 9 games including the title game. But I was talking about actual butts in the seats. If it was at or near capacity other than North Dakota & Michigan for the title I'd be shocked. The problem I was addressing wasn't sellouts, merely that even when sold out these season ticket holders don't go to the games. If this program works and all sellouts resemble capacity crowds it'll be great.

I'm all for getting creative to avoid the no-show problems. I imagine they'd have some sort of deadline when you'd have to return them by...otherwise if it ever happened with football whenever there is rain in the forecast or the temp dips below 50 degrees you'll have a ton of returned tickets.

I'm curious to see how this works and what tweaks they make as the pilot moves along.

They sold out 9 games including the title game. But I was talking about actual butts in the seats. If it was at or near capacity other than North Dakota & Michigan for the title I'd be shocked. The problem I was addressing wasn't sellouts, merely that even when sold out these season ticket holders don't go to the games. If this program works and all sellouts resemble capacity crowds it'll be great.
Prepare to be shocked.

I know I went to one of the MSU games and it was pretty much full from what I remember.

Both games I attended were 95% full from what I could tell. Very few open seats and most were likely people milling about. I walked for most of a period with my brother in law and the kids. So our seats were empty for that period.

What’s preventing you from returning all your tickets and just keeping the account open for ncaa tournament or conference tournament priority?

Edit: answered my own question. The credit is 80% of the value.

Top Bottom