U' offense has 'no more excuses,' Gophers OC Matt Limegrover says

From the article:

"We're going to pound the football ... That's the mentality that we want to develop. So with that in mind, that really allowed us to have a tight focus on what we wanted to accomplish coming out of spring. I think we've been able to do that, and that's pretty exciting, because there is a confidence level."

"We don't have the excuse any more of being young," Limegrover said. "We don't have the excuse any more of not having depth. There are no more excuses. I told the coaches that ... We've got to start saying, 'We belong. This is how we're going to do it. This is the idea we're going to have.' And then just move forward with it and get as good as we can at it. That was what the spring was for and those guys have carried that forward into the summer for sure."

Go Gophers!!

We're going to pound the football ... That's the mentality that we want to develop. So with that in mind, that really allowed us to have a tight focus on what we wanted to accomplish coming out of spring. I think we've been able to do that, and that's pretty exciting, because there is a confidence level."

This is music to my ears. Running the ball is important on many levels. I could only hope we will see the Gophers running the ball 35-45 times a game and throwing it 10-20 times. If Nelson can make the 15-18 yard completion consistently to the tight end off play action we can stress linebackers and safeties. If he takes 2-3 post shots a game, I have no problem. He will need complete 60 percent. But pounding the football is the key.

love that we're going to run the football. can you imagine how powerful we'd be nationally if we ever had two 1,000 yard rushers in the same season? or if we produced 2-3 nfl running backs in a 3 year stretch? or if, gosh forbid, we ever ran for 400+ yards against a nationally ranked team on national tv? we'd never lose.

love that we're going to run the football. can you imagine how powerful we'd be nationally if we ever had two 1,000 yard rushers in the same season? or if we produced 2-3 nfl running backs in a 3 year stretch? or if, gosh forbid, we ever ran for 400+ yards against a nationally ranked team on national tv? we'd never lose.

I feel as though you're being sarcastic, but I don't understand your point. Is it that the Gophers have done that before and they didn't immediately transform into Alabama?

Love the attitude. Just hope we don't start hearing excuses once the season gets going. I definitely like the idea of pounding the football, this is B1G football.

I am all for being di_ck...but is this just dicking for Dick's sake or do you have a point you would like to share?

Kill, unlike Mason, has recruited defenders as well. So maybe if we return to those lofty stats we will win more games simply because we can slow down someone. Out of the woods yet? Nope. Moving in the right direction? I believe so.

Matt Limegrover is a significant asset for the football team. More and more he has "head coach" written all over his resume. Better keep this guy happy and wanting to stay in Minnesota. Who would be a bigger loss to the team -- Limegrover or Kill?

Matt Limegrover is a significant asset for the football team. More and more he has "head coach" written all over his resume. Better keep this guy happy and wanting to stay in Minnesota. Who would be a bigger loss to the team -- Limegrover or Kill?

Kill. Jimmy Z would be a great promo to OC.

I've often thought that if Kill ends up being successful here, some of his coaches will leave. That said, Kill is the straw that stirs the drink with this crew.
Likely it will be all hands on deck with this loyal staff until a certain level of winning is established or a threshold is met. I think Zebrowski could be a Limegrover successor, and with Claeys it might end up being Matukewicz from Toledo, who was a Kill guy up to coming here.
Let's hope we have enough success to warrant worrying about this.

Maybe so, but doesn't it say an awful lot that neither him or Claeys has even really considered leaving Kill? That indicates to me that losing Kill would probably be the bigger loss of the two.

Also, as much as I like the cut of his jib, watching his offense the last couple years has been nothing short of painful at times. I like what I'm hearing from him right now, but when I see the offense flourish, or at least produce like that bowl game on a regular basis, then it'll lend a little more credence to a potential promotion for him.

Like you guys have said this will be good for the defense as well. I really hope they get away from having Nelson run the ball a bunch and go with the three solid running backs that we should have. This should be a position of strength for this team and keeping Nelson healthy has to be a priority.

Love the attitude. Just hope we don't start hearing excuses once the season gets going. I definitely like the idea of pounding the football, this is B1G football.

oh you will hear excuses- you can count on it. ' we just need to get everyone on the same page'. 'we have had injuries at spots.' people aren't executing' these statements are just a way of life in sports.

We lost that game.

So I'm guessing 60-40 run versus pass? I'm hoping when we get depth at WR it is more 40-60.

Hoping to see the running game we saw in the bowl game. I was extremely impressed with our OL and runningbacks in that game. Most of our top recruits the last few years have been on the OL so it is time to lean on them with a heavy run game.

Hopefully Kill says the same thing verbatim today in his press conference.

From the press conference today:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> Jerry Kill: We may only start one or two seniors on offense. We're a pretty youthful, young team.</p>— GopherHole.com (@GopherHole) <a href="https://twitter.com/GopherHole/statuses/362258305164378113">July 30, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Maybe so, but doesn't it say an awful lot that neither him or Claeys has even really considered leaving Kill? That indicates to me that losing Kill would probably be the bigger loss of the two.

Also, as much as I like the cut of his jib, watching his offense the last couple years has been nothing short of painful at times. I like what I'm hearing from him right now, but when I see the offense flourish, or at least produce like that bowl game on a regular basis, then it'll lend a little more credence to a potential promotion for him.

Not necessarily. Maybe they like being coordinators and like Kill's system. Not everyone strives to be a head coach.

I'm not saying this is true with either one of them for sure, but it certainly could be.

I really think the O has been limited the past 2 year by a general lack of depth and talent Limegrover's system typically utilizes. Specifically a cohesive and well groomed Oline and a stable of runningbacks with different but effective styles.
Add in Q's lack of passing(not entirely his fault), and other injuries/situations(Barker, Shortell, McDonald, Harbison, Oline, Q) and you just don't have a good idea what Limegrover and Kill are capable of when the cylinders click.
If we play every game like we did in the bowl game, but have just another 5-10% completion percentage from the QB position we will be able to win plenty of games.
Should be fun to watch.

Our OLine is plenty experienced. Our tackles are both seniors in age. Epping and Bak have started a bunch of games for 2 years. Returning starter at qb. WR and RB are somewhat youthful, but t those positions youth can do fine.

Not necessarily. Maybe they like being coordinators and like Kill's system. Not everyone strives to be a head coach.

I'm not saying this is true with either one of them for sure, but it certainly could be.

I think it could also be a case where they have really not been in a position to get great offers given they have basically been unknowns in the coaching world until recently. I am sure Limegrover and Claeys have had some offers but I doubt they were very high profile in nature. If they succeed here they will get some legit offers at which time it will be interesting to see if they stick with Kill or break out on their own. Obviously I hope we get to find out because that will mean they are winning here.

From the press conference today:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> Jerry Kill: We may only start one or two seniors on offense. We're a pretty youthful, young team.</p>— GopherHole.com (@GopherHole) <a href="https://twitter.com/GopherHole/statuses/362258305164378113">July 30, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Oh boy. According to http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2013/JUL13/DBJuly29.html the Gophers have the 4th "oldest" team in the B1G. I understand it's not completely apples to apples since having more upperclassmen doesn't mean more upperclassmen are starting. However, since so many freshmen played in Kill's first 2 years, they have as much or more starting experience as many upperclassmen in more established programs. Combined with all the JUCOs signed in the last 3 classes, youth should never be an excuse this year.

Oh boy. According to http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2013/JUL13/DBJuly29.html the Gophers have the 4th "oldest" team in the B1G. I understand it's not completely apples to apples since having more upperclassmen doesn't mean more upperclassmen are starting. However, since so many freshmen played in Kill's first 2 years, they have as much or more starting experience as many upperclassmen in more established programs. Combined with all the JUCOs signed in the last 3 classes, youth should never be an excuse this year.

At QB and WR we're young. Everywhere else we're middle-aged so to speak.
There's not a senior standout from the skill players and 1 senior on the Oline.
It shouldn't be as bad as it's been but we still don't have a 4th and 5th year senior rich team, which is typically how programs like ours rise and have big years.

Good Coaches put pressure on themselves and their players. Limegrover has done just that. It's called challenge them.

Top Bottom