U of M Closes 3 West Bank Lots for next Season

gopherguy05

Section 246 Row 4
Reaction score
The buddy I split my tickets with called me this afternoon after getting a voicemail from the U Ticket office stating that we would need to find new parking for next season because they are closing our lot, C-89. After he called them back, he found out its even worse, that the U is closing all of the nice west bank lots, C-86. C-88 and C-89 for next season due to "lack of interest"

Basically anyone who parks in those three lots are given the choice of parking in Lot 94, next to the Hospital an additional; 5-10 minute walk from TCF, can pony up the $1,000 to park in C-55 (the farthest away from TCF east bank lot), can not tailgate and can park in either of the ramps on the east bank, or has to park in St. Paul.

As you can tell, we are pissed off. The "lack of interest" excuse is total BS. My guess is that they are "saving money" by not having to maintain the lots next season. Its a complete joke. For those of us who were in those lots, they worked out great.

We are trying to get a list of other season ticket holders who are pissed off to join in one large letter/ e-mail to Teague/Kaler and whomever else may actually have any power to change this situation. We don't know if this is an athletic department thing, or a parking department thing, all we know is were getting screwed, and the atmosphere for tailgating isn't going to be any better getting rid of the nice lots with shade and grass and moving everyone to a huge surface lot next to the hospital with no grass or trees nearby, and a longer walk to the stadium.

The U wants to have a fun gameday atmosphere...then don't screw over your fans who want that too.

I got a call last week saying I would be in C86 instead of C88. Lot C88 doesn't exist anymore. It was merged into a single lot with C86. I haven't heard anything about C86 not being available.

I got a call last week saying I would be in C86 instead of C88. Lot C88 doesn't exist anymore. It was merged into a single lot with C86. I haven't heard anything about C86 not being available.

He called them this afternoon, and was told all of the lots would be unavailable for parking. I'd call the ticket office if I were you. Something tells me they are trying to shove this under the rug as much as they can.

Renewals go out on 3/12, so I'll know for certain in a week.

Yeah that was their excuse for the call today to "let us know" before renewals arrived. Nice notice...

We were in C89 for the first two years. I liked the walk through campus. We gave that up for the Flats and it's been a great move. Closer walk, plus we're free to park in a ramp or out at the Fair if the situation warrants.

We were in C89 for the first two years. I liked the walk through campus. We gave that up for the Flats and it's been a great move. Closer walk, plus we're free to park in a ramp or out at the Fair if the situation warrants.

I have heard some good things about the flats. I have debated not getting a Washington ave. ramp pass this next season in favor of parking at the flats. But, sometimes I bring my father along to games, and unfortunately I don't think he could make the trek from their.

The river flats are closer, way more spacious, and you can pay as you go. I can understand the lack of interest when there is a much better option.

I have heard some good things about the flats. I have debated not getting a Washington ave. ramp pass this next season in favor of parking at the flats. But, sometimes I bring my father along to games, and unfortunately I don't think he could make the trek from their.
We will occasionally tailgate beforehand with one of my seat-mate's father and his buddy. When we go with them, we just migrate over to the Fairgrounds. I don't remember what ramp it is, but we decided to skip tailgating for the Michigan game last year and hit the bars, so we just parked in the ramp, but that was $20 for a single game.

The river flats are closer, way more spacious, and you can pay as you go. I can understand the lack of interest when there is a much better option.

Lack of interest was not the problem for the lots near the law school. All three of them were filled with vehicles and tailgaters for every game last year.

I got this call as well. We were in C88 and I received a call saying that we will be in C86 next year. Nothing at all about them closing C86 all together.

Edit to add: I could understand them closing C89 because it is on the smaller side (about 50 spots). But C86/88 has almost 200 spots and almost all of them are full on game day with a majority of people tailgating.

its looking more and more like whatever idiot called from the ticket office either a. lied, or b. didn't have a freaking clue what they were talking about when they said that C86 was closing too. Looks like all the people from C88 just got added to C86, and all of us C89 people are the ones that just got reamed.

I park in Lot 89 and like it. I called Zach 612-654-5280, who is some kind of supervisor at the ticket office about this. He seems likes a reasonable guy. He said that Parking and Transportation was behind this. I told him that I heard that the new AD and new Prexy wanted to improve the fan experience and that doing something that screws over fans to placate some bureaucrat in Transport and Parking defeats that purpose. If enough people call they might reverse this.

Top Bottom