U Names New York Provost as Only Finalist for U of M President Job

From the article: “This person is an outstanding final candidate,” said Regent John Frobenius, who listed his many strengths, including support of athletics, strong research experience and leadership style.

Looks pretty good. Good science background, support of athletics, sign him up.

http://www.stonybrook.edu/bioethics/bios.shtml

Eric Kaler is Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs at Stony Brook University. He holds a PhD in Chemical Engineering from the University of Minnesota. He served as Dean of the College of Engineering and Elizabeth Inez Kelley Professor of Chemical Engineering at the University of Delaware from 1998-2007. He has served on the advisory boards of the Departments of Chemical Engineering at Johns Hopkins University, Lehigh University, North Carolina State University, and the University of California Santa Barbara; and in the College of Engineering at the University of Pittsburgh; Surfactant Science Series, and Marcel Dekker, Inc. He received the Kash Mittal Award from the Surfactants in Solution Symposium, 2006; the Chemical Society of Japan Division of Colloid and Surface Chemistry’s 2005 Lectureship Award; and the E. Arthur Trabant Institutional Award for Women’s Equity, 2005, to name a few.

...can you ask Regent Dean Johnson what this candidate said when he asked (like he said he would) about supporting a strong athletic/football program?

Thanks....if Dean is on board so am I.

GM

+1 This is encouraging, but I would like to hear a little more. What did he tell Dean Johnson, and what are people within the athletics department at Stony Brook are saying? It looks like he has a solid background, and appears to realize that academics and athletics can and should coexist.

Athletics brings visibility to a college. Except for the elite colleges like the Ivy League (and the Ivy League schools used to be real sports powers), most people only know colleges from sports.

+1 This is encouraging, but I would like to hear a little more. What did he tell Dean Johnson, and what are people within the athletics department at Stony Brook are saying? It looks like he has a solid background, and appears to realize that academics and athletics can and should coexist.

Athletics brings visibility to a college. Except for the elite colleges like the Ivy League (and the Ivy League schools used to be real sports powers), most people only know colleges from sports.

StonyBrook doesn't have Division I athletics, maybe basketball but that is about it.

StonyBrook doesn't have Division I athletics, maybe basketball but that is about it.

They've been D-I since 1999. They are members of the D-I America East conference for all sports except football. For football they are a member of the FCS (I-AA) Big South Conference.

Is he willing to do the right thing for the football program and hire LEACH?

Why would one bother making a post to correct someone, when you clearly are incorrect yourself?

Is he willing to do the right thing for the football program and hire LEACH?

He could, but he'll probably have to come up with a large buyout for the coach that was hired just before he started.

They've been D-I since 1999. They are members of the D-I America East conference for all sports except football. For football they are a member of the FCS (I-AA) Big South Conference.

I did not know that, my wife grew up on Long Island close to Stonybrook, we walked through the campus one year while visiting her relatives, because I had never heard of it I grilled her on the school. It is a big school, I just thought it odd that I had never heard of it, this was back in the 90's.

In any case, it's not really important that Stony Brook is D-I, only that their move to D-I shows a committment to athletics.

Top Bottom